Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Blacked out look.. ? ? Running lights/turn signals

Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Blacked out look.. ? ? Running lights/turn signals

Im not sure everyone else here feels the same way, but i think the plastic look on the turn signals for the 02 trans am looks terrible on the black car, let alone any of the colors.
The light emitts very well on mine so im not worried about how bright they would be if i tinted them a little or a lot.
My car is mainly for show and i take it to shows of course with it off so the ugly plastic is just glaring at me.

Does anyone have pictures of these tinted or blacked out so i could see what it would look like before i possibly get it done?
Pictures of maybe LED ones as well, or different coverings that arent plastic grey.

Im not here to discuss the legality on this, just would like to see some pictures
Old 08-23-2012, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think ws6 store sells some acrylic pieces that cover the fogs and turn signals would look really good
Old 08-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Teching In

seems likes this is all they got, nothing on the turn signals at all

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ulbs-lighting/
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ight-covers-1/
Old 08-23-2012, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm pretty sure the housing itself is clear. If you just replace the bulb with an LED or "chrome" bulb, then the yellowish tint in the turn signals when turned off will go away.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VHT and Clear coat are your friends... I did it on my 98

Lights on:

Lights off:

Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I did my fogs, drl's, and the reverse lights. light output is still good on the drl's, fogs are not really bright enough for any real use, and I need brighter bulbs for the reverse lights.

some old pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/la-rue/5916807427/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la-rue/5692429472/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/la-rue/5260756416/
Old 08-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by silverWS.6
VHT and Clear coat are your friends... I did it on my 98
Lights off:

that looks great im gonna have to do this

Yea I have my tail lights and reverse lights already done, I need brighter reverse lights as well I can't see anything with the windows up and barely with them down
Old 08-23-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I personally think the "everything black out" look is well overplayed. That's why SOM is great because it blends with the turn signals so well you don't need to put clear/smoke/black out anything
Old 08-23-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by HoLLo
I personally think the "everything black out" look is well overplayed. That's why SOM is great because it blends with the turn signals so well you don't need to put clear/smoke/black out anything
SOM is one of the few colors that I wouldn't even consider blacking-out lights on.... except the reverse lights. those should be blacked out on every 4th gen bird!! If I was going with the non-blacked out DRL's, I'd pop them open and spray the gray with the ref;ective chrome paint, for a cleaner look. that grayish/cloudy-white color looks really bland.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HoLLo
well as you can see i do not have SOM and it looks terrible on mine not to have them tinted at all lol

vvvvvvv
Old 08-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Launching!

I actually just tinted the side marker lights in the front and rear bumper and thats it. I have thought about doing my turn signals, but i thought it was a bit much. I also left my fog lights as they are, since i actually use those when i drive at night. I have a black WS6 and i think the side marker lights blend in nicely, but i also like the look of the stock turn signals not tinted. Just my .02
Old 08-24-2012, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

Do yourself a favor and avoid the vht dull crap look. Ive never seen a vht job that I would ever put on my car. If you want them tinted have a reputable shop do it so you have a nice glossy almost factory looking finish on them.

I could post pictures of mine if you'd like to see, But its a green car lol
Old 08-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Teching In

I was going to get the guys who did my DRLs reverse and tailights
Might have them redo my tails though BC a cop hit me and scratched the tint paint >
Old 08-24-2012, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyelf
Do yourself a favor and avoid the vht dull crap look. Ive never seen a vht job that I would ever put on my car. If you want them tinted have a reputable shop do it so you have a nice glossy almost factory looking finish on them.

If you spray it right it will be just as glossy or more than stock.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...-blackout-kit/

WS6 Stores Covers. I have them on mine. They damage the paint on the fogs if you DD them. But on a mostly show car it would probably be fine.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crazyelf

You're very right, VHT by itself does not always produce pleasing results. But honestly, I put three coats of clear over my VHT-tinted tail lights, side markers, and turn signals, and polished them with Meguiar's Polishing Compound; they now have a beautiful, mirror-like shine and a nice, hard, durable finish.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Cool

My shops doing the lights on the front for 40$ and that saves me from buying the paint and finish and the time id have to spend outside in this san Antonio heat
Old 08-24-2012, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CayenneRedV6
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...-blackout-kit/

WS6 Stores Covers. I have them on mine. They damage the paint on the fogs if you DD them. But on a mostly show car it would probably be fine.
thank you for posting this, I had no idea covers were available, I'd much prefer that while retaining the stock look underneath. Think I'm going to pick up the set. What do you mean by damaging the paint?
Old 08-24-2012, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
thank you for posting this, I had no idea covers were available, I'd much prefer that while retaining the stock look underneath. Think I'm going to pick up the set. What do you mean by damaging the paint?
You're welcome. I had a hell of a time finding them. Their website isn't the best. But, I knew they were available because I got them from there. The paint is scuffed from it rubbing. You have to get right up to it to see it but it's there. I've had them on for 4 years or so, so that's how long it's taken to look like that and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I think it could be wet sanded and polished out. And obviously with them installed you don't see it.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I also thought the side markers looked terrible so I sprayed them black, but left a thin strip visible. I then added LED strips firing upwards to hit the reflector prisms so you didn't see the individual LEDs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blacked out look.. ? ? Running lights/turn signals