Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Water Spots

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Water Spots

Hows it going. My father and I are trying to figure out how to get these water spots of our cars.... They are basically stained on. We tried multiple things from wax to clay bars and rubbing compounds... Nothing seems to work. It's on the paint and windows. Whats the best way to remove these spots? Thank you.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried vinegar? Although since you've tried to clay it off, probably the only thing that will work is wet-sanding.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took off waterspots all over a new camaro that a friend of mine has with Meguiars 205 polish and a porter cable buffer with ease. Car had never been clayed or waxed it's entire life lol
Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the answer for your water spots ON THE GLASS ONLY!!!!
I have not EVER tried it on the paint, nor do I recommend you doing it eaither.... BUT someones gonna have to....
The stuff I use I bought at Walmart. I am sure you can buy it at your local super market. It is a Rust and Stain Remover found in the cleaning section along side with all the plumbing products (drano, liquid plumber, ect,) It is in a brownish/ copper color bottle. Its about 5 or 6 bucks. I had my windows tinted about 6 months ago. When I picked up my car, ALL the water spots that had been on the windows for years were GONE. So I asked the guy what the heck did you use?? He laughed and said it was a "detailers secret". So I asked him to show me..... and he did (some secret). We went over to his car in the parking lot, and he did a 6" x 6" spot on his back glass. It took about 15 seconds of light "buffing" and it came right off. Well today I decided to stop in at wally word and pick some up. And it worked like a charm!!
Attached Thumbnails Water Spots-whink-products-01081-rw-215985-323012.jpg  
Old 09-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Restricted User

For the WINDOWS ONLY use the diamond scrub you use on the flat top stove tops. It works wonders...just put on a pad and scrub...then they are gone. For the ones one car...if they are bad I recommend you take it to a detailer. They are so damn hard to get off and you can burn your paint if you don't know what you are doing. The price for a full detail is very worth it vs the time and work you will have to put into it. Then make sure you keep a good wax on it all the time and you will never have spots again.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AFK9
For the WINDOWS ONLY use the diamond scrub you use on the flat top stove tops. It works wonders...just put on a pad and scrub...then they are gone.
Patatoe's, Patoto's.... There are alot of diffrent tricks out there. I have not heard of anyone useing this trick. BUT I will give it a try. I think it would be a little less agressive if any "over spill" got on anything except the glass. I dont have any at the house, but the next time I fight the war on water spots I will give it a try.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Restricted User

It works great...your glass will look brand new!!! I did it to both my vehicles as I live in Hawaii and the water spots are bad...came off with one scrubing...spotless!!!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by justin455
Have you tried vinegar? Although since you've tried to clay it off, probably the only thing that will work is wet-sanding.
NO! Please don't give advice on something you obviously know nothing about.

Originally Posted by dabest09
I took off waterspots all over a new camaro that a friend of mine has with Meguiars 205 polish and a porter cable buffer with ease. Car had never been clayed or waxed it's entire life lol
Yes. This is correct.

Quick Reply: Water Spots