Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

7.5W LED Lights (pics, comparison)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool 7.5W LED Lights (pics, comparison)

Bought some super-mega-ultra-high-power LEDs for the tail lights & similar ones for the front DRLs. They are WAY brighter than stock, and I'm really surprised. Most LEDs on the market are waaaay dimmer than stock, even the ones advertised as "high power". However, I now need to get a fully digital/electronic flasher module or add some resistors in, since my Tridon EL12 turn signal flashers don't work.

The particular design that I bought is a new design for 2011 so I had high hopes. I paid $60 for all four after lowballing and then counter-offering back and forth with this eBay seller: peraccurate
The listing title was:
4 X 7.5Watt LED Hi Bright STOP TAIL LIGHT 4157 3157 3057A Wedge Bulbs RED
Here is a listing for what should be the same item:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-X-7-5Watt-LED-Hi-Bright-STOP-TAIL-LIGHT-4157-3157-3057A-Wedge-Bulbs-RED-/390767410777?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5afb8d7e59
I had to specify 3157 in a message to the seller to get the dual-filament version!

I'm going to take better pics tonight, but for now here are some cell phone pics and pics from the eBay page:

Removed from padded envelope:

Side by side comparison of 3157 LEDs (left) to the Sylvania incandescents (right), regular 194 incandescents in the far corners:

LEDs installed on both sides:

eBay seller images:

Last edited by ZexGX; 02-25-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool...I have ones that are similar on the way for my Viper. I'm assuming they perform the dual filament function correctly? I had a problem with a different design on my Camaro back in the day where they would go full bright when I turned the headlights on, and the third brake light would light up partially. Kinda annoying, and basically turned the third brake light into the only brake light when the headlights were on, so I had to go back to a regular bulb.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice find man, glad to see a led alternative finally that produces better light output than stock bulbs.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

I also bought and installed these ridiculously bright 6000k white LEDs for the front (got tired of my switchback LEDs, also, these are way brighter than the switchbacks). I also sent them a message stating that I wanted the 3157/7443 style but they still sent me the 3057 single filament style. Bastards. The only difference is now instead of running dimmer when the headlights are on, they just don't turn on, otherwise if the headlights are off but the car is on, they are illuminated. Since they sent me the wrong ones, they act like an ON/OFF bulb (single filament) instead of an ON/DIM bulb (dual filament, like stock). No big deal. eBay seller name is mingming-store2009
2x 7.5W LED Auto Car Turning Signal Light Bulb Amber Lamp White DC 12-24V | eBay

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Very cool...I have ones that are similar on the way for my Viper. I'm assuming they perform the dual filament function correctly? I had a problem with a different design on my Camaro back in the day where they would go full bright when I turned the headlights on, and the third brake light would light up partially. Kinda annoying, and basically turned the third brake light into the only brake light when the headlights were on, so I had to go back to a regular bulb.
Yes, the pics taken are of the "dim" setting. They get even brighter when you step on the brakes or use the turn signals (with the headlights on)! Your third brake light problem may have been resolved by adding a resistor in-line to put the correct amount of load on the circuit. I *might* need to add a resistor to my setup to correct the flasher module issue.

Originally Posted by __Z__
Nice find man, glad to see a led alternative finally that produces better light output than stock bulbs.
Me too!! I'm stoked!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had these problems as well, in addition, the LED brake lights would cause the cruise control to stop working. Resistors would most likely fix these problems, but the fact that it was difficult to tell when you were on the brakes when the headlights were on was troubling. When you hit the brakes it was only marginally brighter than the running lights.

Even with an EL12 flasher, the LED turn signals only worked maybe 75% of the time. Again, resistors or a fully electronic flasher would fix this problem, but I was under the impression the EL12 could handle LEDs as long as they were only in the front or in the back.

So far only LED reverse lights have worked with no issues for me.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Yeah, never tried cruise control, but I assume it would have caused problems for me as well. I'm hoping my Viper can handle them without issues - it doesn't have cruise control, so no worries about that, and the turn signal is a separate bulb that I'm leaving alone. Should be interesting either way.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

I just ordered 3 types ($40 worth... 2 each) of the cheapest electronic "LED compatible" flashers on eBay. I'll let you guys know if any of them work. Two of them are shipping from China so it'll be a couple weeks for the full results. I ordered 3 different types just in case some don't work or I don't like their sound (if they even have a sound) or their flash timing.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Update, found out the cause of my non-working turn signals... The turn signal Tridon EL12 was broken. I replaced it with the hazard signal Tridon EL12 and the turn signals worked again. FML. I guess I'm gonna have spare hazard flashers for life.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The EL12 didn't work with led turn signals for me. They would only work 3/4 of the time. This was with stock turn signal bulbs in the front.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Latch
The EL12 didn't work with led turn signals for me. They would only work 3/4 of the time. This was with stock turn signal bulbs in the front.
The only bulbs left on my car that are incandescent are the HVAC bulbs and the 194 corner bulbs in the tail lights. Every other light on the car has been converted to LED.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the heads up only filament bulbs left on my car are in the tail lights. I'm getting these. Are those DRLs actually white or do they look blue? Can we get a pic
Old 09-09-2012, 10:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What about using these for reverse lights? Do they make them in white? I have these currently but they don't do a good job at all illuminating behind me.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...02-camaro.html

Just found these. Yes, no?

Ebay 3157 7.5watt White Reverse Lights

Last edited by djfury05; 09-09-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Teching In

I wonder if these would work with my sequential tail lights, lol.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder if these will fit in a Camaro reverse light housing... the LED bulbs I have right now aren't quite as bright as I'd like, but these bulbs might be too long. They will be CLOSE to the end of the housing if they fit at all.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by djfury05
What about using these for reverse lights? Do they make them in white? I have these currently but they don't do a good job at all illuminating behind me.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...02-camaro.html

Just found these. Yes, no?

Ebay 3157 7.5watt White Reverse Lights
You must not have read all of the posts in this thread, I posted info earlier on a set of white ones that I bought for the front DRLs. Those 7.5 watts you linked to are EXACTLY what I have in the DRLs but at literally 2x the price. Click the link above that I posted - they're around $20 for a pair. I will take one of the DRL's out of the front and put it in a reverse light to compare it to my current CREE reverse lights ( https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...se-lights.html ) which should give you an idea of how they are vs. stock. If they are better than the CREE's then I'll buy some more of them, lol. And as far as the used JWmotoring ones, they are a sponsor so I will not discuss their product, but I will however say that I will not be purchasing anything from them as a personal choice.

Originally Posted by CroLs1
I wonder if these would work with my sequential tail lights, lol.
They should. Buy them and make a video, lol

Originally Posted by Latch
I wonder if these will fit in a Camaro reverse light housing... the LED bulbs I have right now aren't quite as bright as I'd like, but these bulbs might be too long. They will be CLOSE to the end of the housing if they fit at all.
They should. I have a bunch of friends with Camaros that I can probably do a test-fitment and side-by-side comparison.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
You must not have read all of the posts in this thread, I posted info earlier on a set of white ones that I bought for the front DRLs. Those 7.5 watts you linked to are EXACTLY what I have in the DRLs but at literally 2x the price. Click the link above that I posted - they're around $20 for a pair. I will take one of the DRL's out of the front and put it in a reverse light to compare it to my current CREE reverse lights ( https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...se-lights.html ) which should give you an idea of how they are vs. stock. If they are better than the CREE's then I'll buy some more of them, lol. And as far as the used JWmotoring ones, they are a sponsor so I will not discuss their product, but I will however say that I will not be purchasing anything from them as a personal choice.
No I read most but I skipped that post I guess due to length probably.. let me know what you find out when you put the DRL's in the reverse lights.. take some pics too please if you can
Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

How is the differential between dim and bright? I've tried some drop-in LED replacements in the past and the difference between dim and bright was not nearly as much as the stock incandescent bulbs so I just stuck with the stock incandescent bulbs.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by VIP1
How is the differential between dim and bright? I've tried some drop-in LED replacements in the past and the difference between dim and bright was not nearly as much as the stock incandescent bulbs so I just stuck with the stock incandescent bulbs.
I can't comment on these in particular because I bought some from a different company for my Viper (and paid more than double what the OP did ), but the difference is very apparent between bright and dim for the ones I bought. IMO, the differential is very similar to an incandescent.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

I can't comment on these in particular because I bought some from a different company for my Viper (and paid more than double what the OP did ), but the difference is very apparent between bright and dim for the ones I bought. IMO, the differential is very similar to an incandescent.
Same here. I will make a video tonight.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
Thanks for the heads up only filament bulbs left on my car are in the tail lights. I'm getting these. Are those DRLs actually white or do they look blue? Can we get a pic

Quick Reply: 7.5W LED Lights (pics, comparison)