Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Wiring question on 98-02 into 93-97 tail light swap.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring question on 98-02 into 93-97 tail light swap.

Guys, I have to remove my smoked tails to pass a safety inspection here in Hawaii, so I wanted to swap my tails real quick to pass it. I know that the cars light up differently because of the amber lense.

Question:

If i use the LS1 taillamp wiring harness, will it work properly, just like on my SS?

I know that the sockets are also different on them also, so this would cure that issue also.

I have an extra harness out of a 2000 T/A so I'm hoping that would work. But my SS is apart at the moment with easy access to the rear harness, so if the SS and T/A are a little different let me know.

Thanks. I did a search and was inconclusive.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:47 AM
Teching In

You will need to use the harness, but that alone will not make them work correctly. There is a write-up on here that I followed do some more searching, but basically on the 93-97 body harness, you will notice u are missing a blue wire that the new taillight harness has. U need to run a wire from that blue wire all the way to the front and plug that into the brake light switch where the turn signal wire is currently. That will give you a constant brake light when your turn signal is on. I had the write up saved but my comp. Crashed!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:49 AM
Teching In

This isn't the write up i used but the same info. the last post tells you what to do. i didn't have to cut the wire since i had the correct connectors that gm uses on their plugs. but cutting it will not hurt a thing. https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ghts-94-a.html .....Also not sure if the harness is different

Last edited by strokeme; 09-18-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by strokeme
That will give you a constant brake light when your turn signal is on.
Is that the only difference?

I could care less that one of the brake light bulbs out of 2 stays on while the turn signal is on. That wouldn't bother me as long as it doesn't effect anything else.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:18 AM
Teching In

Idk, I guess I like my **** to work properly...
Old 09-19-2012, 03:22 AM
Teching In

I guess u could just plug it in and see what it does. My guess is u wouldn't have a brake light, or maybe ur amber light would act as ur brake/turn.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

You should do what i did when i got my export Tail lights. The company i bought them from provided the pigtails and all that but i didn't feel like cutting up my wires or splicing them, so i got a razor blade and shaved the plastic sockets to fit and they work just like OEM... well they are OEM but you get the picture. Just shave the sockets down and plug them them into the corresponding ports.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Ive got a LT harness if you need it, Ill sell it to you cheap, as I no longer need it.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

What if you wired in a relay that would cut power to the brake signel wire in the amber lens sockets when the brakes are pressed so that you wouldn't actually get it to illuminate?

Quick Reply: Wiring question on 98-02 into 93-97 tail light swap.