Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

dash cleaning materials

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dash cleaning materials

what do you use to clean your dash with? i just use a wet cloth, cuz i know armoral dries out plastics. but ive seen someone use tire shine and seem leather conditioner. of course the leather cpnd. was for the vinyle part of dash
Old 09-19-2012, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

You want to clean it before you dress it.

Look at 3D LVP (leather, vinyl, and plastic) cleaner and Liquid leather both are pretty cheap and I really like the results of them on my car.

I use a horse hair brush, you could also use a MF towel with the product to clean it. Then I use an applicator pad to apply the conditioner/dressing.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Surf City Garage "Dash Away" is what I use. Awesome stuff. Leaves a matte finish and protects from UV damage.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Aerospace 303 protectant on all my surfaces
Old 09-20-2012, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

Theres 2 parts to proper dash (and interior) care to keep it looking nice.

1) Cleaning.

2) Conditioning & Protecting.

There aren't many products on the market that actually do both, and those that do don't do either process exceptionally well.

You'll want to do a good cleaning at least a few times a year to remove old dressings, skin oils, dirt, etc. This is especially important if you've used protectants in the past that contained silicones or lanolin as those will not be removed simply by wiping the dash down with a wet cloth.

Once the dash is cleaned you need to apply some kind of conditioner/protectant. On a car like the Fbody or a vette, the front glass sits at such a slant that the bulk of your interior is exposed to a lot of sun and heat. The UV exposure really does a number on an interior, causing drying and/or fading. Left unprotected your dash can become chalky and even crack.

Typically I follow this process:
1) Clean with Leather & Interior Cleaner. If there is no serious soiling you can cut it 1:1 with water.
2) Wipe the dash down with a damp towel to remove any excess cleaner residues.
3) Condition with Leather & Interior Conditioner. to keep it protected. Our formula features SPF65 protection, so think of it like a really good sunblock for your dash.
3) Maintain it by just removing dust from the dash with a dry microfiber towel every few days.
4) Apply a fresh coat of conditioner as needed (generally once a month or so) to maintain that freshly detailed look.
5) Every 4-6 months I start over again at cleaning to strip off all the old conditioner and address any heavier soiling on the seats, steering wheel, dash, etc.

Both our cleaner and conditioner are water based and contain ZERO animal products, so they're ideal for treating a modern factory interior including your dash, door panels, leather seats, steering wheel, or any other 'hard' interior surfaces.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't use any products on the interior. I just keep everything dusted off with a damp towel. The car is garage kept and doesn't spend much time in the sun.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Chemical guys innerclean, smells amazing, gives great OEM look and has a uv protectant in it.

Quick Reply: dash cleaning materials