Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone run these black turn signals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone run these black turn signals?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-02-Camaro...sories&vxp=mtr

I like how they are completely blacked out but I wonder if they offer any light at all when compared to the black corners with the reflective background for the DRL's.

Yet again, DRL's are kind of pointless anyways.

Anyone ever have these and how do you like them?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Had them. Looked OK at first, then they melted, leaked, blew bulbs, etc etc... Junk.

Then I went to the black with reflective background ones from neondials on ebay. Those lasted much better (have heat shields integrated and stuff). Downside was the lenses started to yellow in only about a year or so and IMO didn't look quite as nice as the solid black ones. They weren't too bad though. Easily the best of the two types of aftermarkets I've tried.

Now I have factory lights that I just partially tinted with VHT. Not totally blacked out and the light shines through fine. You can see in my sig pic how at night the light shines just as well on them as my untouched factory lights on my Trailblazer. It's OK I suppose, but still a little undecided on its appearance. Most durable of the 3 options I've tried so far however.

There is another set floating around that is black housing with a frosted lens. I don't know much about those. I might try them at some point perhaps.

Here's a little tip though if you go with any of the aftermarkets - when you have the small 194 bulb socket out, pull the bulb and then use a black sharpie on the entire socket that is visible through the lens of the signals. It blends it and looks much better than this ugly beige socket in the middle of the black housing.
The following users liked this post:
fucter (11-23-2023)
Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's right, I am on my 3rd replacement set from that company and they melt, the bulbs keep burning out and the running lights kept popping out. I siliconed them to no avail, so just like sparkyjjo I vht'd my stockers only pretty damn dark and they look great and the light comes through no problem. I have 2 sets of the eBay black corners as they kept sending me replacements.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Regular

I had a set of those as well, and agree they were junk, I decided to just tint my oems, had much better results.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Had them. Looked OK at first, then they melted, leaked, blew bulbs, etc etc... Junk.

Then I went to the black with reflective background ones from neondials on ebay. Those lasted much better (have heat shields integrated and stuff). Downside was the lenses started to yellow in only about a year or so and IMO didn't look quite as nice as the solid black ones. They weren't too bad though. Easily the best of the two types of aftermarkets I've tried.

Now I have factory lights that I just partially tinted with VHT. Not totally blacked out and the light shines through fine. You can see in my sig pic how at night the light shines just as well on them as my untouched factory lights on my Trailblazer. It's OK I suppose, but still a little undecided on its appearance. Most durable of the 3 options I've tried so far however.

There is another set floating around that is black housing with a frosted lens. I don't know much about those. I might try them at some point perhaps.

Here's a little tip though if you go with any of the aftermarkets - when you have the small 194 bulb socket out, pull the bulb and then use a black sharpie on the entire socket that is visible through the lens of the signals. It blends it and looks much better than this ugly beige socket in the middle of the black housing.
Originally Posted by bigken
He's right, I am on my 3rd replacement set from that company and they melt, the bulbs keep burning out and the running lights kept popping out. I siliconed them to no avail, so just like sparkyjjo I vht'd my stockers only pretty damn dark and they look great and the light comes through no problem. I have 2 sets of the eBay black corners as they kept sending me replacements.
Originally Posted by __Z__
I had a set of those as well, and agree they were junk, I decided to just tint my oems, had much better results.

Nice LT1 man.

Thanks for all the feedback! Using VHT on my stock corners was the alternate route I was considering and you guys definitely just hammered that home.

Now I just need to figure out if my can of VHT is still good, its about 2 years old. BTW how many coats (VHT/Clearcoat) did you guys use, 1 or 2?
Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I used three coats but they were light coats. I don't apply it very heavy when using it.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used three coats but they were light coats. I don't apply it very heavy when using it.
Cool!

Yeah I used two coats of VHT on my tail lights, and about 5 coats of clearcoat and liked the way they came out.

However I never used compound afterwards because I liked the flat black look of it. On a side note, I wonder if I use compound now if it will still give that glossy look I am going for with the turn signals.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Not the best pic, but these are Ebay turn signals that came "whistler'd". They are clear lenses with a black housing with a chrome reflector in the back. Matched my headlights perfectly!

Old 09-27-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sommer86
Not the best pic, but these are Ebay turn signals that came "whistler'd". They are clear lenses with a black housing with a chrome reflector in the back. Matched my headlights perfectly!

Very Nice man!

Have you had any issues with melting/condensation?

How long have you had them on?
Old 09-27-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

I had a set like sommers in my red z28 with no problems and light out put was good. Can post pics if you .
Old 09-27-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

This and yeah, there completely junk. Mine lasted about a month before I replaced them with another/better set that lasted about 2-3 years before I got tired of the look and went back to my stock lights.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buellxb12s
I had a set like sommers in my red z28 with no problems and light out put was good. Can post pics if you .
Could you post one man? Thanks, I'm leaning towards getting these.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Launching!

I think I put 3 or 4 coats, the first two were light and then I will admit I laid it on kinda heavy but the light still shines through and I am more than happy with them. I also did the Tails, my SS 3rd brake light and the rear lenses the same way.
I would post pics if i knew how, if you are interested I can email you some.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Only pic I have with lights on but they did light well

Old 09-28-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Right as I put these in I took the car off daily duty so maybe that is why I didn't have problems but they sealed well and never noticed melting problems...I do remember paying more for these than the other black clear corners.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Very Nice man!

Have you had any issues with melting/condensation?

How long have you had them on?
Yes, I've has issues with them. Not too bad, but I have.

I did have a slight fogging/condensation issue after car washes. (but I just pull the bulb out during the wash and it's never a problem)

I also noticed a slight meting on one of them. (probably why the lenses fog) The slightly melted one still works and clicks into place but you have to wrestle with it a little. Luckily I dont blow bulbs or really have much issue with aftermarket lenses. So far, so good. I've had mine in for about 3-4 years now.

I'm pretty sure there is ALWAYS a condensation issue with aftermarket signals due to the fit of the bulb. Maybe try making sure that the gasket on the bulb holder is nice and pliable and not hard and cracked or missing.

Just checked ebay, and I think these are REALLY close to what I got. With the chrome in the back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEPO-93-02-C...6260f3&vxp=mtr

-Mike
6LE Designs
Old 09-28-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Those are the best of the ones I've tried.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Where did you get that front splitter from?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jtp6194
Where did you get that front splitter from?
6LE Designs.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Has anyone tried to pop open the stockers like the whistler mod and switched to a clear lense? I would like to try it but I dont want to mess anything up if the corner lights dont react the same in the oven as the headlights. I hate the aftermarket housings but love their look. If I could find a clear lense that would fit on stock housings I would **** myself with happiness and paint the housing black.

I have the ebay aftermarket black housing but everyset I have had over the last few years is horrible with hear transfer and melts the housings, but I've only blown 2 bulbs so far in these vs. the ones I've had before that blew bulbs weekly.

Quick Reply: Anyone run these black turn signals?