Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Plasti Dip SS Grille

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasti Dip SS Grille

Since it has some rock chips and the paint is faded I was thinking about taking off my grille and plasti dipping it. Anybody done this before? Also does anyone know if there is a write up on how to take the grille off. I am out of town and don't have time to mess with it right now. If you have done this throw some pics up.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

just tape off the area you want to plastidip, maybe just cover the intake holes from the back and leave the grill on when you paint, in order to take the grille off you have to take off the entire front bumper or atleast have a second pair of hands and loosen all the bolts and try to reach in there with a wrench while someone pulls the front away from the bumper styrofoam. I couldnt reach it without taking the bumper off completly. Its just less of a hastle to paint it on the car, the plasti dip will just peel off once dry so overspray shouldnt be a big problem
Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

^Thanks man, sounds like a big PITA. I reckon I'll just spray it on the car then.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

what grill? the stock plastic one, or an SLP grille?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

Yeah as long as you tape off the area good and take the tape off before the dip has time to set it'll look like you took it off the car to paint it.

An even easier/faster way to remove overspray is just to put some goo gone on a rag and it clears up large areas in a matter of seconds.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
what grill? the stock plastic one, or an SLP grille?
It's an SLP. The one with "SS" in the middle.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Is this temporary? Is there any reason you're considering Plastidip?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure your fascia is equally chipped, so why not take the it all off and do it right?
Old 12-02-2012, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Its actually really easy to take off you dont have to take off your bumper i have taken mine off a few times
Old 12-03-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
just tape off the area you want to plastidip, maybe just cover the intake holes from the back and leave the grill on when you paint, in order to take the grille off you have to take off the entire front bumper or atleast have a second pair of hands and loosen all the bolts and try to reach in there with a wrench while someone pulls the front away from the bumper styrofoam. I couldnt reach it without taking the bumper off completly. Its just less of a hastle to paint it on the car, the plasti dip will just peel off once dry so overspray shouldnt be a big problem
WRONG. Sorry, man.

This is only if you are taking off the factory grille. With the SLP SS grill you only need to pull out the 8 plastic fasteners holding it to the bumper. Just be careful not to scrtach your paint as the fasteners are almost flush with the grill.

No bumper removal necessary, just about 5-10 mins. of time. It's that easy.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Veteran

front what I remember those christmas tree fasteners were no joke lol. wouldn't want to pull those out, can't image doing so without scratching up/damaging the grill
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
Is this temporary? Is there any reason you're considering Plastidip?
Only because it's easy to take off. Just like to see how it looks with it being all blacked out. The grille isn't badly damaged as it sits now just a couple rock chips. I figured if it was easy to pop the grille out it would be worth a shot for $8 a can.

Does anyone know if there is a write up on how to pop it out (preferably without damaging it) Thanks for the responses ya'll.

I am working in Alabama and won't be home for another 2 weeks. I would normally just go look at it and could probably just figure it out but it couldn't hurt to know what I'm doing beforehand.

Last edited by SuperStock99; 12-03-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Its real easy i just took a small screw driver and pryed the fasteners away from the grill a lil then just took pliers and pulled them out. If ur gonna plastidip it anyway if u messed up the paint a lil by the fasteners it wouldn't really matter
Old 12-05-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Is yours painted body-colored? They come all black, so I asume yours was painted if you want to see it blacked out. If you really want to see it without doing anything you can easily find pewter cars with the normal black slp grill, they're all over the forum/internet.

I wouldn't bother taking it off. Just use tape and paper to mask it all off. Just slide newspapers along the back/sides of the grill so you don't get over-spray back in there.
I personally wouldn't use a screw driver to try to pry the fasteners out to pull it off, can't see that working without putting scratches in the grill

Quick Reply: Plasti Dip SS Grille