Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removing stock gfx (Y87) this Friday!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing stock gfx (Y87) this Friday!

So I will finally be removing my stock gfx this upcoming Friday. I have done quite a bit of research and just want to see if I am leaving anything out.

It seems straight forward, use a 7mm drill bit to drill out the rivets and I guess that is it. Someone please add if I am forgetting anything. I am looking to sell the gfx after the removal.

I am pretty worried because, besides the hideous holes, every person I have seen that has removed the stock gfx on this site there always seems to be a decent amount of blemishs revealed under from where the stock gfx were.

I don't get it, how does this happen when that part of the car has never been exposed?!

I am scared because my car is in near mint condition right now with the kit on, I'm afraid its going to look like **** in that perspective afterwards. And I don't have the money to take it to a body shop.

I will post before/after pics.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
So I will finally be removing my stock gfx this upcoming Friday. I have done quite a bit of research and just want to see if I am leaving anything out.

It seems straight forward, use a 7mm drill bit to drill out the rivets and I guess that is it. Someone please add if I am forgetting anything. I am looking to sell the gfx after the removal.

I am pretty worried because, besides the hideous holes, every person I have seen that has removed the stock gfx on this site there always seems to be a decent amount of blemishs revealed under from where the stock gfx were.

I don't get it, how does this happen when that part of the car has never been exposed?!

I am scared because my car is in near mint condition right now with the kit on, I'm afraid its going to look like **** in that perspective afterwards. And I don't have the money to take it to a body shop.

I will post before/after pics.
Man, lemme put my flame suit on...

Leave it! How many Camaros do you see with this package? It's unique, it's factory, and it's free for you to keep it!

I know that's not what your thread was about, but seriously, reconsider!
Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I say leave it. Not because I'm okay with it (I am, except the front), but because It looks bad when you do the job half way. What the gfx kit leaves behind isn't all that terrible, but it is noticeable (and it doesn't look good). Now if you're also talking about removing the 3-piece spoiler as well... that will look like **** after removal.

I wouldn't do it unless I was going to be doing all of the body work/ paint at the same time. That was when I chose to get rid of the spoiler (kept the rest).
Old 12-04-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Man, lemme put my flame suit on...

Leave it! How many Camaros do you see with this package? It's unique, it's factory, and it's free for you to keep it!

I know that's not what your thread was about, but seriously, reconsider!
Originally Posted by crimson_bird
I say leave it. Not because I'm okay with it (I am, except the front), but because It looks bad when you do the job half way. What the gfx kit leaves behind isn't all that terrible, but it is noticeable (and it doesn't look good). Now if you're also talking about removing the 3-piece spoiler as well... that will look like **** after removal.

I wouldn't do it unless I was going to be doing all of the body work/ paint at the same time. That was when I chose to get rid of the spoiler (kept the rest).
No I appreciate the honesty guys. Let me explain a little further with some things I left out. I am planning on keeping the 3 piece spoiler because it does look ghastly when removed if not fixed.

See the car is going through a complete change in the next 3-6 months.

I've got a new rear end sitting in my garage going in February.

It is also getting, Sway Bars and Adj Phb.

I'm ditching the ORY, 3' E-cutout, and catback for a true dual system.

If I leave the kit on, you won't be able to see any of this because of the rear lip. I really want people to see these things because they look damn good.

I'm also ditching the C5 Z06 rims and getting either:

Billet Specialties street lites. Or the cheaper route, American Racing TTM's. I really don't see either of these rims looking good with the kit on.

The car was great through college, but now being 25 it is a little too flashy. Halos (Quick fix years back over cloudy stockers) are being changed for stock Whistlered lights.

And there is a blower cam being put in July. I'm trying to go for a more muscle car look. I'm even planning on taking off the stock Z28 badges and putting 1st gen z/28 badges on.

I love the kit, and then I hate it. I just wish it were a SS lol

Do you see my situation somewhat better now, What do you think?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Restricted User

i say take it off. those factory kits are ugly as hell if you ask me.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daturbosix
i say take it off. those factory kits are ugly as hell if you ask me.
I don't think they look terrible for a bolt-on car, if its kept clean. But I just can't see a serious drag car having them on. Have you seen how these cars look when they are removed with all the holes on the side?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Restricted User

i dont think it would cost much for a talented body guy to fill those holes and touch the paint up. well worth it if you ask me.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daturbosix
i dont think it would cost much for a talented body guy to fill those holes and touch the paint up. well worth it if you ask me.
Not when you're spending around 7k in the previous modifications I listed in last few posts lol but I hear ya, I'm worried about the paint rash I see these gfx leave on the fiberglass (front/rear)

Last edited by Raoul-Duke; 12-04-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not cheap to fix the mess after taking the rs kit off, unless your doing the work your self. Rockers alone are big money to fix, well the places I went to want a arm and a leg.

good luck man!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZeeSNuttS
It's not cheap to fix the mess after taking the rs kit off, unless your doing the work your self. Rockers alone are big money to fix, well the places I went to want a arm and a leg.

good luck man!
Just seen your pm! Thanks man! I'll def be contacting you.

Ugh, tell me about it. It's almost like I should sell the car because of this effin gfx kit but I wont lol

Last edited by Raoul-Duke; 12-04-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
Just seen your pm! Thanks man! I'll def be contacting you.

Ugh, tell me about it. It's almost like I should sell the car because of this effin gfx kit but I wont lol

THIS^^^^

when I had my 00 I put the wings west kit on. and loved it. I rolled that car in 08. Now with my 01 I wish it never had the rs kit on it. Hell I didn't even want another black car lol it was the best deal tho.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

pm on it way
Old 12-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

car looks teh gey either way

haha jk andy, in for the pics.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pipeless416
car looks teh gey either way

haha jk andy, in for the pics.
haha Mike, is that you??!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZeeSNuttS
[/B]

THIS^^^^

when I had my 00 I put the wings west kit on. and loved it. I rolled that car in 08. Now with my 01 I wish it never had the rs kit on it. Hell I didn't even want another black car lol it was the best deal tho.
Yeah I got a sweet deal on mine back in 2008 too lol
Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Launching!

i have practically the same car as you except for an A4...i've also toyed with the idea of taking it off as well, but its slowly growing on me. I even thought of just debadging it and letting people think its a v6 lol! But all in all, i say keep it on. I may be biased though.

but if you're gonna get rid of those zoeys, how much would you sell them for? lol!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you take the kit off and want to sell it let me know.

I am in Normal, IL and may be interested depending on the price.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 8ty8 LS1
i have practically the same car as you except for an A4...i've also toyed with the idea of taking it off as well, but its slowly growing on me. I even thought of just debadging it and letting people think its a v6 lol! But all in all, i say keep it on. I may be biased though.

but if you're gonna get rid of those zoeys, how much would you sell them for? lol!
I feel ya! Yeah at first I probably will be bothered by the mess that will be after removing them with all the holes. I do like how the car looks with them on, but for the look I am going for I think it must be done. Plus, There is a lot of flash where I live and practically any Muscle so I think it will be a good change to the environment.

They're 17inch and 9.5inch wide around, I'd let em go for pretty cheap but must do some research on what they're selling for first. I'll def let you know when the time comes!

Originally Posted by Skraight
If you take the kit off and want to sell it let me know.

I am in Normal, IL and may be interested depending on the price.
I definitely will, must do research as well for where the market is but I will let it go for a reasonable price.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Leave it on,
Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I think it's pretty clear that those of us who have owned cars with the factory appearance package are biased But it's so uncommon to see the appearance packaged Camaros with serious power, that's why I think you should keep it!

Quick Reply: Removing stock gfx (Y87) this Friday!