Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

engine harness cleaning and engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine harness cleaning and engine bay

I Will be pulling the motor out soon in my trans am to be replaced with a 390 and a set of twin turbos. I want to paint my engine bay and make it clean and was wondering a few things...

1. How do you clean the wiring harness itself? Mine is extremely dirty. The wire loom looks like ****.

2. How do.you guys make the top.of.the intake a valve covers look so clean with your harnesses? My wire loom runs right next to the fuel rails and its big and bulky and make the top of the intake look cluttered. Ive seen guys' engines on here and it doesn't even look like anything is plugged into the coils or injectors.

3. Whats the best way to prep the engine bay for paint? Im gonna paint it myself, just hit it with the same color red and some clear. Is primer required? Or just rough it up and spray it. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I removed all the plastic loom and went with a woven mesh loom that fits tighter on the wiring.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1)
I did the same thing.

Looks much better.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...p?autoview=SKU

Just use a lighter to melt the cut ends, so it doesn't fray.

2)
I rewired my entire harness.

Rerouted all the wires, for a more appealing look, took me about a month, ~40hrs... lol

ie, the MAF, IAC, TPS, Alt, Coolant Temp, ignition, wires were all ran down by the oil pan, instead of running them over the intake. the only wires on my intake (the only wires you can see) are for the injectors.

I also, designed my own coil mounting solution, to mount the coils down by the engine mounts. I am still in the process of bringing that to the market... maybe one day... :/

3)
You only need primer for the spots where you went down to bare metal.

I also went to the extreme here as well, ie. seam welding, etc...

but if you are going to re-paint, I would at least weld in all the unused holes, and it will look much cleaner.

I am on my work computer right now, so I can't post any of my pictures... but they are around, I ***** them out regularly.

Last edited by PUNISHER TA; 12-14-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I used the techflex f6 loom. There is a guy on ebay that sells it really cheap. Get a couple of different sizes and reloom your harness.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool thanks guys. Are the wires long enough to run down by the oil pan? Or do you have to extend them. Ill defy buy some of that wire loom.

Quick Reply: engine harness cleaning and engine bay