Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Tired of Zaino on my BLACK Camaro...

Old 04-16-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tired of Zaino on my BLACK Camaro...

I've now applied a good 20+ coats of Zaino Z2 & Z5 (mostly Z5) to my black 2002 Z/28 and while don't get me wrong (this stuff is awesome), I'm not really happy with how it looks on this color IMO. The car shines like heck, feels as smooth as a baby's a$$, and has the protection to back up its good looks.

However, the shine just seems too bright and plasticy/glassy to me and not nearly deep and wet enough. It looks awesome in the shade or at night, but in the sun, the color looks kinda creamy (can't think of anything else ) and is not dark enough like a well-maintained BLACK car should be. Also, this stuff streaks a little bit no matter how little I use or gently I apply it and has done only an OK job of covering up/hiding swirls.

Would something like Menzerna (along with the dual-action polisher) and a completely different kind of wax (Pinacale, Blackfire, Wolfgang, etc.) really make that much of a difference in the color tone of my car's paint? Because if it would, then I'll definitely make the change. Otherwise, I'll probably just stick with what I've been using as it still makes my black car look like no other on the road...

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by 2000LS1Z28; 04-17-2004 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with you about Zaino on a blk car.
I use Grand 1000 blitz ( or 1000 Grand Blitz?) on my wife's '00 Black GTP. Goes on like butter and comes off like powder. I use Zaino on my T/A.
Good luck.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

i love the zaino on mine... i had tons of damn swirl marks before using the Z5 and granted I can still see the fine stratches under lights at night, but in direct sun light the Z5 really fills them so you can see any! The car looks like a mirror also. Also its simple to use/apply so im more than happy with it. One time I got a slight streakin, but that was because the towel i used needed to be cleaned and wasnt removing all the polish
Old 04-16-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

I have used the Menzerna twins and Wolfgang twins on 2 black cars and it is much more appealing to me on black than Zaino was.

Old 04-16-2004, 10:33 PM
10 Second Club

I also switched from Zaino to the Menzerna line of Intense polish, Final polish, Show glaze and FMJ (recently switched from Blackfire) with excellent results. Much deeper than Zaino. Keep in mind it's not cheap. It adds up fast when you buy a PC 7424, all of the polishes, backing pads, foam pads, microfiber cloths. you might balk at the price but look at it a small investment on your paint; it's well worth it.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZaneO
I have used the Menzerna twins and Wolfgang twins on 2 black cars and it is much more appealing to me on black than Zaino was.

Wow, that Vette looks damn good. But without seeing it in person, it's hard to tell exactly how the Menzerna/Wolfgang stuff compares to the Zaino I've been using.

I just want something that is going to give my black car a deeper, wetter, and darker look to it...
Old 04-17-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

It is much deeper and darker than Zaino. It is also just as wet. Check that picture out for deep and wet.

Proper prep work is the key to a deep wet finish. Hit it with the Porter Cable and an abrasive, then seal with Zaino/Wolfgang, etc. and you'll be happy.
Attached Thumbnails Tired of Zaino on my BLACK Camaro...-picture-056_2.jpg  

Last edited by ZaneO; 04-17-2004 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with ZaneO andBLKTA - if you want "wet" you've got to polish and then follow up with a different sealant or a pure carnauba. On my Firehawk I go from Menzerna directly to Pinnacle Souveran (for the absolute wettest look I've ever seen). Keep in mind the Souveran doesn't have the durability of wolfgang, so if you're looking for some decent durability go with the wolfgang - its nearly as wet yet a bunch more durable. For me, however, I work the car enough that by the time the souveran has worn off I have a few spots I wanted to polish up anyways, so throwing on another coat of souveran is just another 10 minutes of work (souveran is EXTREMELY easy to work with). I've got a few "wet" pics that I'll post up soon. I think you'll be amazed.

A Porter Cable and Menzerna are a must in my opinion, however - they are what makes the true depth and shine - not the wax/sealant.

-Tom
Old 04-17-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've used to many different waxes and get the same ok look. I have been using all black fire products now, polish, protectant and finisher since I had it repainted and I am very happy. Easy on, easy off, with always a wet look.
Not to sure about the recommendations above to use the polymer first then wax last. Black fire instructions say specifically not to use anything caruba on top of the base.

Photo at Carshow
Figured I would be nice and not post a huge pic, and posting a lower resolution does not do it justice.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Black fire instructions say specifically not to use anything caruba on top of the base.
Probably because they don't make a Blackfire carnauba product, lol.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Think its more that wax melts at a lower temp and would defeate the purpose of the polymer.

I would recommend any polymer truthfully, just not having the d@mn wax dust everywhere and digging wax out of lights and cracks is worth the extra money.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

kick *ss - they dont reccomend it because they sold the rights to pinnacle to autogeek.net. I have some emails from last year where Terry Frieberg (owner of properautocare) specifically reccomended I top my blackfire with Pinnacle Souveran - previously it was part of their "sizzling shine" recipe. Obviously they can't recommend it now since they don't make a carnauba product, but trust me, you can, and it works well. Pinnacle and other high quality waxes acually make less dust and less residue than even the best polymers - you get what you pay for with carnauba. Also might try Zymol Carbon - another great carnauba.

-Tom
Old 04-17-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SuperBuick...do you have any thoughts on the FMJ sealant?
Old 04-17-2004, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Initial reviews on the FMJ seem really good, but that's some expensive stuff. I know that I'm not ready to shell out that kind of $$ when I've got so many other things.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:20 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

I was all set and ready to order Blackfire wax and prep products. Do you guys think that Pinnacle or Menzerna make batter products, with better final results?

I'm looking to step up to all new waxes and would like some more oppinions on what's best.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

They are both TOP quality products. If I were you I would go with Menzerna and Wolfgang/Zaino/Blackfire, and if you want a good carnauba topper, check out S100 (found at local Harley shop) or Trade Secret (found at www.topoftheline.com).

Pinnacle is just too expensive in my opinion. Most carnaubas will get you 95% of the look with a MUCH cheaper price.

Good luck
Old 04-17-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

ZaneO and Superbuick convinced me of the Menzerna Twins with the PC and wolfgang come from just various use reports. I still haven't finished the car, but you can see some of my progress on it so far. I'm very pleased with the results, I will probably go back over some of the stuff that I've done so far because I've seen a few fine lines left around... probalby from my shitty microfibers May need a different pad or something, anywho....

ZaneO I didnt use the prewax stuff... Should I try it, or is it just a cleaner type?

here are a few pics...
Attached Thumbnails Tired of Zaino on my BLACK Camaro...-2004_04120009-r.jpg   Tired of Zaino on my BLACK Camaro...-2004_04120010-r.jpg  
Old 04-17-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Try it out. I think it adds some depth and slickness. I recommend using it with a foam applicator instead of the mf applicator; it makes it a little easier to work with.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, I really hate when a company does something like that. To put in the instruction to specifically not use wax and make it sound like for technical or scientific reasons is just plain crap. They could have just left that section out.

I still recommend the stuff, it really puts a great shine on my car.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Having a black car I follow topics like this so I can stay informed of the latest products. I have seen Zaino on black and agree with what you guys are saying. I use Meguires and it just looks deeper. I may have to try some of these products ya'll have been talking about now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tired of Zaino on my BLACK Camaro...