Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Steering Wheel replacements?..... Would this work?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering Wheel replacements?..... Would this work?

Are there any options for different steering wheels that still have an airbag for 98-02 cars?

For instance, would something like the corvette wheel below work?
(I highly doubt it)

http://www.c5racer.com/catalog/c5-c6...ing-wheel.html
Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ah... the debacle comes up again. Heres where im at with the same project. Our f-body cars have a diffrent spline shaft than the newer style GM corporate wheel you linked too, so in absolute practicality, no it wont work. Heres where it gets tricky. Theres ways to do it that involve a ton of time and effort. I explored the option of looking into welding the correct splines out of the f-body wheel into the newer style. I hit a major bump however because our wheels are alluminum and the newer are steel (i might have that backwards, dont quote me on that, gave up very early on on that angle and ive been working on this project for the last year and a half). The next option is obviously to modify the steering shaft. If you had a lathe and engineering experience you could probably cut the right splines into the f-body shaft (big maybe)... we tossed this idea around and decided it was to much effort. Which brings me up to where i am now. I have a steering shaft out of a corvette, and one out of an f-body. (they are very very diffrent). Now my current goal is to machine them and eventually fuse them together. Were getting there but its a slow moving process. I heard a rumor a while back that there was a company working on an adaptor (6le any input? )

Now lets say you go through all this trouble as I have... now its time to wire it... airbag? not gonna happen... newer GMs have can-bus style electronics and older bag modules probably wont blow the bag (not about to buy a spare to try it out if youve seen the cost lol). Horns easy enough but the clock spring in the steering shaft may proove to be an issue. Ill let ya know if and when i get there.

So that brings me up to where im at with it... is it worth the absolute hassle and cost? absolutly not until someone comes up with a better solution. The only reason im still evening messing with it is because ive already sunk the money into two diffrent wheels, 3 steering shafts, and countless headache and hours lol. Be patient though and maybe someone will come out with a solution better than mine. Seems like this topic comes up more and more latley

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering Wheel replacements?..... Would this work?