Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

how hard to change gauge color & light color?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard to change gauge color & light color?

I've read the how to's, question is, for someone who has never done it, how hard/complicated is it?

I have a 2000 trans am
Old 02-04-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trans Am will be difficult because of the red "filter" that's applied on the back of the gauge face. It's like a transparent red paint. Supposedly it can be cleared out via sanding/scuffing/chemical stripping that process is supposed to be terrible.

One word of warning is that at least for the Camaro, the headlight/dimmer overlay is all painted. If you try to remove the red filter, you'll end up stripping all color off the face. I am currently working on making my own "clear" overlay so I can color it however I want.

One option is to obtain Camaro stuff, but you're still somewhat limited in colors as there's a faint blue filter on the Camaro items. There's a lot more flexibility in the Camaro pieces over the Pontiac pieces though.

Overall, the options I see are 1) Stay stock color, 2) Invest some $$ in McNord overlays if they are still making them, or 3) Put in a ton of work and risk messing up your stockers, 4) swap over to Camaro units and have a little more flexibility.

Personally, I'd stick with the red if it were you. Only reason I am upgrading my Camaro is I had bulbs burn out already, and the dirty whitish green in the Camaro looks like poo. At least the Pontiac red is nice and clean looking.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Banned

Stock overlays for Camaro have blue tint (with yellow stock bulbs it looks green) and Birds red (same thing makes it orange).

Our overlays are just plain transparent so any color bulb you use is the color you get...

www.mcnordgauges.com
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Banned

Stock overlays for Camaro have blue tint (with yellow stock bulbs it looks green) and Birds red (same thing makes it orange).

Our overlays are just plain transparent so any color bulb you use is the color you get...

www.mcnordgauges.com
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER

www.mcnordgauges.com
Ive been looking at your stuff, it looks sweet. How difficult is it for someone who hasnt done it before?

Ive watched all the videosbut someone who is experienced can make anything seem easy.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Banned

It's honestly extremely easy, just take your time and have all your bulbs already so you don't do it twice. On our forums, in the lighting section, there's a write up on what bulbs to order.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed that it's easy. Just take your time, work in a clean environment. It's recommended that you wear rubber gloves as the oil from your fingers can leave fingerprints on the matte finish of the gauge faces.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a write up I did...

http://6litereaterdesigns.com/forum/...p?topic=1077.0
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Sommer that looks awesome how much did that run you
Old 02-07-2013, 03:11 AM

Individually, I'd keep with the red if it were you. Only purpose I am improving my Camaro is I had lights get rid of out already, and the unclean white natural in the Camaro looks like poo. At least the Pontiac red is fresh and fresh looking. . . . . .

Quick Reply: how hard to change gauge color & light color?