Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Write Up: C6 Steering Wheel in an F-body

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert

IF I were forced to have a functioning air bag wheel, that one, in SUEDE would not be bad at all.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it available without any buttons at all on it? I like the steering wheel controls on my Silverado but the Camaro has the radio right there and I don't really want to bother with rewiring stuff to add controls, nor do I want buttons that do nothing if I can avoid it.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Is it available without any buttons at all on it? I like the steering wheel controls on my Silverado but the Camaro has the radio right there and I don't really want to bother with rewiring stuff to add controls, nor do I want buttons that do nothing if I can avoid it.
The 06-10 wheel yes, you can get bezels without any radio control holes. The 11-13 wheel no. You would need to fill the left side holes and refinish. Further GM does not sell any part of the bezels seperately for the 11-13 wheel, they make you buy the entire steering wheel. The only component you can purchase separately for that version is the radio control and bluetooth switches. Thankfully itd be pretty hard to screw up filling the holes and sanding smooth. The bezels are in 2 pieces. The main lower chrome bezel that bolts to the steering wheel and the switches snap onto, and the outer ebony plate that is adhered with thin double sided tape. Its clear and looks like the double sided scotch tape type stuff.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a video from Oliver showing the function of the 2 adapter boards allowing you to use the radio, cruise and info switches.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woot
Old 08-03-2016, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FlorianGee
Woot
Yup, circuit boards for two prototypes for LT4Vert and me are being made right now, should show up by the end of next week!
I'm sure he is as excited as I am!

#excited
Old 08-03-2016, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

My wheel is in and ready to go.

Name:  856194F3-955B-42C9-86BE-70BC3E639498_zpsgqa1dhhi.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  133.7 KB
Old 08-03-2016, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks awesome. someone should update the first post with a list of all the required parts and where to buy them lol
Old 08-03-2016, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

That is awesome! If/when y'all get this figured all out to get all the wheel functions and airbag to work I'll be sure to pick one up from you. If your selling a kit to wire everything up that is? Lol

The newer wheel looks like such a huge improvement over the factory Fbody bus wheel. I'm sure it improve on the driving experience in a Gen4.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JROC
The newer wheel looks like such a huge improvement over the factory Fbody bus wheel. I'm sure it improve on the driving experience in a Gen4.
If you get the right wheel it is a phenomenal improvement and a perfect solution if you wanted to stay with an OEM wheel. I really wasnt expecting it. The combo of the wheel being alot lighter, its deeper so the wheel sits out a little more than stock, the rim being much thicker and the smaller diameter all made for a really nice improvement in steering feel both on the street and autocrossing.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:44 AM
Launching!

If you get the right wheel it is a phenomenal improvement and a perfect solution if you wanted to stay with an OEM wheel. I really wasnt expecting it. The combo of the wheel being alot lighter, its deeper so the wheel sits out a little more than stock, the rim being much thicker and the smaller diameter all made for a really nice improvement in steering feel both on the street and autocrossing.
Give me two weeks and you'll have a prototype, if all goes well! ;-)
Can't wait to have you beta test it, because my car still isn't ready...
Old 08-04-2016, 07:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

I want everything.

Can't afford it all, but I want it
Old 08-05-2016, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you able to list part numbers for everything?
Old 08-05-2016, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did we ever confirm if you got the airbag working?
Old 08-06-2016, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a Pontiac emblem for these air bags if anyone needs one. $20 shipped, PM me.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:35 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I missed it, but what is needed to actually bolt that up in our cars?

So I would need to order the wheel, preferably with red stitching, and the electronic adapters... but what else?

Old 08-07-2016, 05:36 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
I've got a Pontiac emblem for these air bags if anyone needs one. $20 shipped, PM me.
Yeah, a pontiac emblem would fit nicely vs. the Chevy logo.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

So I would need to order the wheel, preferably with red stitching, and the electronic adapters... but what else?
The steering shaft piece mentioned earlier in the thread. Fits our column, but has the correct splines for the newer wheels.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist

A steering shaft from a 1st gen cts, 06-13 Impala or anything else on that platform, 01-2010 Grand Prix or similar year Monte Carlo, Impala ect. The Cobalt, hhr, G5 and Corvette use the small version of this wheel. Theres many more cars and trucks.... Maxplusten put the part number in the original post. The Malibu platform cars use a version of this wheel that is BIGGER in diameter than our stock school bus wheel. I have both versions. Theres 2 style horns GM randomly used, one is a large triangular metal bracket, the other is 3 black plastic pads. That matter because the airbag that snaps in the wheel is specific to the horn style. Malibu is the only version Ive seen with the black plastic horn pads, and my Cobalt airbag would not snap into the Mailbu wheel due to the horn style.

There is a TON of brand new Vette wheels on ebay in all the multitudes of styles GM had in leather, suede and both combos with 4 different color stitch options. My brand new wheel was only $229 and came in a oem gm box. All of the radio controls and bezels are the interchangeable. With the exception of the 12-13 Vette wheel like I have. If you want the cruise button on the left your gonna need to fab it as the Vette only had a bluetooth and voice button on the left. The bezels from the larger diameter version wheel will not interchange with the smaller wheel and vice versa.

Lastly, if you want to use the stock horn, and f body clockspring you need to elongate some slots to pass the clockspring wires and you have to drill a hole to connect the horn.

Im going on 2 hours sleep the entire weekend, sorry if thats a jarbled mess. There is alot of variations on this wheel . Safest bet is to get a vette or cobalt/g5 wheel and a Cobalt /g5 airbag.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great LT4vert! glad its worked out for everyone. Im actually getting ready to attempt the same thing in a 98 Corvette

Quick Reply: Write Up: C6 Steering Wheel in an F-body