Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Write Up: C6 Steering Wheel in an F-body

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation Write Up: C6 Steering Wheel in an F-body

Ok guys, bear with me. I wanted to go ahead and get started on this thread. I probably wont be able to finish this before motorama but I wanted to share what I have so far. I'll be finishing the write up after the show.

So for the last year I became obsessed with making it possible to swap the c6 corvette style wheels into a 4th gen F-body. After alot of dead ends and hours of research I kept coming up blank. I finally bit the bullet and bought a wheel to see if I could make it happen. Ofcourse the splines are different.

The next logical step was to buy a Vette steering shaft... This is where I messed up initially. I was told by a GM tech the vette uses the same type universal joint that our cars do in the column. Well I assumed that ment all the cars that use the "Corporate Wheel" were the same and went and found a gutted Cobalt and ripped the shaft and wheel out of it.

Upon taking the cobalt column appart I saw it was very diffrent from the u joint style. Discouraged I gave up for a bit... at this point I was 2 steering wheels and a shaft into this and still no results. I contimpated machining the two shafts and finding a way to bond them together but my fear or unreliability prevented me from following through.

Fast forward too about 2 weeks ago. A thread popped up on here asking if it could be done. I rattled off what I knew up to that point and it got me looking into it again. By either dumb luck or fate I stumbled acrossed and ebay listing for this:

Name:  4B2B1F08-AC01-4C11-B785-B4A4037BBB17-3754-000002F16B01B83E_zps5e255b8b.jpg
Views: 6060
Size:  242.2 KB

GM part number 26074286

A quick call to my local dealer parts department confirmed this was indeed the correct part for the Vette steering column and even though I didnt have the stock F-body shaft to compare dimensional I could confirm visually it looks like the same shaft with the right splines. I ordered the part and recieved it yesterday. It fits! or atleast it fits the wheel.

So in 2 weeks ill take the column appart and see if i can make it all work. So far it looks like its going to go off without a hitch. Stay tuned here for results.

Heres a few pics of what I have so far

Name:  FBFD2223-0871-4D4A-AD21-444BD53932C0-3754-000002F1667E2919_zps7c8f4a80.jpg
Views: 5849
Size:  307.3 KB
Name:  B75B840D-5A85-4F6D-9B34-B9E944D5B63B-3754-000002F15DE1FA3D_zps07e0d8d0.jpg
Views: 5728
Size:  306.3 KB
Name:  F796070D-409D-4AF8-AC4D-C0C841A93B2A-3754-000002F16FACBFB0_zps32f7331c.jpg
Views: 5850
Size:  313.2 KB

Now theres one other issue that has to be addressed... the airbag... Heres what I got so far. Upon talking to a pretty well knowledged GM tech he informed me that he didnt think our f-car airbag module would blow a newer style bag since the newer electronics are all can-bus and different info received by the bag as far as impact speed and angle. I just assumed it want doable and figured if i could get the wheel to work, "ef it cause racecar"

Well last week when I figured out I may be potentially able to make the wheel work still I called a few airbag company's searching for the cover (which is pretty much impossible to get without the bag unless you dumb luck into it) Well in the process I talked to a gentleman who seemed to really know what he was talking about on the subject who informed me even though the newer bags are designed to function that way it will still blow if it sees a signal from the module and my retrofit should work. He again couldnt confirm this but it seems like he knew what he was talking about. I went ahead and ordered an airbag out of the Pontiac G5 for the corporate wheel. Unfortunatly (unless it blows up as soon as i hook it up) i wont be able to confirm if this will work unless the worst case scenario happens and I wreck the car but I dont think im gonna take that one for the team if i can avoid it

So stay tuned guys and maybe I can finally put an end to this long asked question.

Last edited by maxplusten; 03-15-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna be watching this one. Ive been really interested in this swap but havent had the time to research it myself
Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds pretty cool. Keep us posted.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OMFG FINALLY. You sir are my hero. I've asked again and again. Can't wait to see a list of parts I have to buy.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

ill warn you guys, i dumb lucked into one going cheap on ebay and got it for 70 bucks... for some reason the auction page now says the sale price was 254 bucks... gm parts direct had it for 160 i think... but someone might have caught on and is gonna try to get rich quick.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yup i in for a full on detailed right up so i can spend more money!!
Old 02-05-2013, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

160 ain't bad. How much is the steering wheel and the bag?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

i got the steering wheel for 80 at a swap meet but they range anywhere between 100-1200 on ebay depending on how fancy you wanna go. Airbags are ranging around 200-350... ive seen covers before but currently i cant find any without the bag.

I also had the plastics and the caps sent of for hydrodipping to match my dash so thatll be another 50-60 bucks... id say right now im in it for about 500 bucks which in the grand scheme of things is probably in no way worth it but... ittl look cool lol. Eventually id like to upgrade to one of the d-shaped alacatara wheels
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anybody have a junk v6 they could hook this up to and see if it blows lol, but you'd be out of $$$ for the airbag, thats the only way I can see of confirming this without a real accident, just an idea.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Props to you but without knowing for sure if the air bag will deploy correctly is a big risk.

Do the GM air bags have the dual stage air bags? I know the Fords do.

I am assuming GM has something similar to Fords HSCAN. Everything has to be right for the SRS to work correctly, mainly resistance within the system. Good luck.

If you do decide to go through with it please don't be in front of the wheel when you prove out the SRS.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Curious if this will make way to using 5th gen, or other late model wheels. What is the diameter of the c6 wheel? I want a smaller wheel without getting away from an OE look
Old 02-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

You are the man! This is the biggest complaint I had to the 4th gen Camaros. If you can get the air bag to work that would be amazing.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know how the Vette air bags deploy, but I can tell you the F-body deployment method is incredibly simple. There are only 2 wires going to the bag itself, and all that does is supply 12v. This voltage is supplied by the module in the console when it senses a crash. You can easily deploy an air bag yourself by hooking up a 12v battery to it across the pins.

The other thing you'll need to check is the resistance of the Vette bag. The air bag module looks for a specific resistance in the bag circuit, otherwise it will illuminate the air bag light. On my 97, that is between 1.4 and 3 ohms.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Should go hook up the newer airbag to a junkyard fbody that hasn't had its bags blown and see if you can get it to trigger. No risk to your own car that way. Plus it could be fun

This does greatly interest me as one of the many interior mods/upgrades I want to do includes doing something about the steering wheel. (Another is change the entire signal stalk to a newer, nicer design).
Old 02-06-2013, 03:31 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally im good on the airbag,in some cases they do way more harm than good,i sometimes use to stare at my wheel just waiting for it to go off lol,have seen people get majorly injured from the smallest fender bender,they do save lives yes,but ill take my chances
Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 AM
10 Second Club

Id prefer to have it not funtion, but just look complete.
So it can just sit in there for all I care.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:04 AM
10 Second Club

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...artshouse.html

found this. may pick up both with tax return.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Spartan7
I don't know how the Vette air bags deploy, but I can tell you the F-body deployment method is incredibly simple. There are only 2 wires going to the bag itself, and all that does is supply 12v. This voltage is supplied by the module in the console when it senses a crash. You can easily deploy an air bag yourself by hooking up a 12v battery to it across the pins.

The other thing you'll need to check is the resistance of the Vette bag. The air bag module looks for a specific resistance in the bag circuit, otherwise it will illuminate the air bag light. On my 97, that is between 1.4 and 3 ohms.
Good info! Im trying to get my tech buddy to see what he can dig up on the GM side but looks like alot of info is proprietary. If i can find a second bag for cheap i may try and see what it takes to blow it.

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
Id prefer to have it not funtion, but just look complete.
So it can just sit in there for all I care.
Thats kinda where im at with it... its a showcar/toy... if the good lord decides its time for me to go no airbags gonna stop it anyway lol. Its more curiosity to see if it could work.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
Curious if this will make way to using 5th gen, or other late model wheels. What is the diameter of the c6 wheel? I want a smaller wheel without getting away from an OE look
Not real sure on the spline setup on the 5th gens... i would imagine its simular but it would be hard to say without actually seeing it. Ill see what i can figure out though.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Props to you but without knowing for sure if the air bag will deploy correctly is a big risk.

Do the GM air bags have the dual stage air bags? I know the Fords do.

I am assuming GM has something similar to Fords HSCAN. Everything has to be right for the SRS to work correctly, mainly resistance within the system. Good luck.

If you do decide to go through with it please don't be in front of the wheel when you prove out the SRS.
Not to sure on this, ill let you know what i come up with

Originally Posted by k_garretson23
Ill take that measurement for you when i get home this evening

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...artshouse.html

found this. may pick up both with tax return.
DAMNIT! im gonna have to spend more money now lol

Quick Reply: Write Up: C6 Steering Wheel in an F-body