Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Painting interior panels opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting interior panels opinion

picked up a bunch of ebony interior pieces out of a camaro for my 98 t/a with thoughts of going black to include the headliner and "ebony" carpet hatch panel thingy.

I put in the headliner and mirrors.

Some of the panels have some nice scratches and scuffs in them which of course show up and big white marks and really stand out. On top of that I'm really not happy with the ebony I don't think it's black enough as many others have said. so i'm thinking of repainting them. Anyone chose to repaint their blacks? I've seen people paint other colors black on here with SEM or Duplicolor but didn't find anyone who repainted their blacks to get rid of scratch marks.

I"m just trying to decide if I should just paint my greys and sell the blacks since I want to paint it anyway, only thing stopping me is that if I get a nick in something the blacks will probably not show it since they are black underneath.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by rielcrazy; 02-24-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed.
I need to figure out how to touch up my scratched, and not so pretty gray plastic also.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

No one has repainted their black interior panels then scratched them? lol

Anyone gone dark dark black on the interior?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used SEM dye/paint. Turned out great. I did gloss at first and it looked SUPER TACKY, so I re-painted them flat or satin black I cant remember. Looks much better. Ive scratched them and stuff, you can't tell at all.

There are pictures more info in my build thread, i don't have time to locate them exactly.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ld-thread.html
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Hey thanks for the info. Was that SEM Landau black you used? did you go with the clear coat or no? Also I see you did Rammat I am thinking of doiong the exact same thing, did you notice a significant enough difference in sound deadening that you'd say it's worth the time/effort/money?
Old 02-24-2013, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

I went ahead and painted a test panel I got for my 98 transam that had previously been black with the duplicolor flat black vinly plastic dye. It's definately not exactly on IMO it looks a little richer than the factory black (like a black panel coated with back to black). I used the adhesion promoter too. I scratched it up afterwards and it seemed to take scratches well.... about like a factory panel would. It worked well enough that i'm going to paint the entire black interior that I have to "refresh" the faded look it's taken on from sun damage.

It should be noted that I believe if you were to paint another color and scratch it the color would show through. Also if you already have black panels and paint just 1 panel to "refresh" it you can tell the diference next to each other in bright light but not so much when they are inside the car.

Anyway just a followup.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced all my trim with ebony and have sprayed several parts to cover scuffs. I agree ebony is still too gray, but even dying the parts with SEM, I prefer to start with ebony. My dash has held up really great, some high traffic areas where shoes or cargo area stuff hits do well with ocassional small area sprays for touch up. Mt drivers side door panel keeps losing dye as it actually touches the dash and rubs it off.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

FWIW, I have a ebony interior with a few scratches in the hatch area. After some research I've found you can use vaseline to 'hide' the scratches or a heat gun then smooth with the back of a spoon. I have not tried either method yet due to the weather.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eteller
FWIW, I have a ebony interior with a few scratches in the hatch area. After some research I've found you can use vaseline to 'hide' the scratches or a heat gun then smooth with the back of a spoon. I have not tried either method yet due to the weather.
Don't use the heat gun method... I had a spare panel and tried it. It gets really shiny and that was using a binary casting agent prior to produce a mold of the plastic pattern then heating the plastic and pressing the mold into the scratch area. The scratch goes away but u have a terrible shiny spot that looks worse. I also tried differing amounts of heat and found that any amount that gets rid if a scratch will pretty much leave a worse looking spot behind. I don't recommend.

Quick Reply: Painting interior panels opinion