Sponsored by: DashLynx

Projector Headlights HID mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Projector Headlights HID mod

So I had this strange dilemma. I bought 9006 HID headlights from HIDxtra.com

8000K Headlights... which ROCK. Well my friend was harassing me about getting projectors, so it cuts the light off at a certain point and don't blind everyone going down the road.

So I bought these Spyder lights from amazon (wish I realized 6le had them before)
http://6litereaterdesigns.com/store/...roducts_id=478

The problem is that those have the H1 lamps. Why they would switch over, I will never understand. I already had the HID 9006's, so I wasn't going to order new bulbs to match the headlight housing.
Stock housing:

So, this is the housing block provided for the H1 bulb that shouldn't be on these headlights period.

HID bulb:

If you notice, there is a holding bracket on the right side, which will not fit with the 9006. All you have to do is bend that small piece outword just a bit.

Once you do this, you can place the HID 9006 in the slot, and force the bracket down onto it. You will need to bend it slightly with a pair of pliers, but once you do it'll sit right in place.

You'll notice in this one, that the mounting ring is broken. It made it significantly harder to get in place than the bracket that still had the ring.

You can see the original bracket style here, where you can see the ring. If you are able to bend and twist it without it breaking, it's crazy easy to hold in your 9006 HID.

Your bright light slot is pretty much normal though, but with three screws instead.

Once you have these two things fixed, your HID spyder lights will work fine.
Here is the final result. It isn't dark yet to show the lights actually on.

Here they are at night.

Last edited by USAFzombie; 03-02-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Not to be a bummer man, but this thread just shows how to bend a perfectly good headlight socket to fit an HID bulb not made for it... why would you bend the piece and possibly make it defective, if not possibly be secure in the future? The final picture for results doesn't even prove that it works is my concern?? Its great and all if you want to save money on the HID kit, but do you have any pictures with the lights on? With them working or not though, I doubt I'd ever bend my housing...
Old 03-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BAD2theBONE
why would you bend the piece and possibly make it defective, if not possibly be secure in the future?
It's a simple small piece of metal. Breaking it wouldn't really hurt anything. The point is that I already had HID lights, and they don't naturally fit in the socket. I have no idea why Spyder would swap a 9006 to a H1.

I'll have a picture of the lights on once it's dark. I did all the work today.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

good inginuity i think
Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

works in a pinch is all that really matters
Old 03-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by z28newbie
works in a pinch is all that really matters
Basically make it work, or buy new bulbs... again.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

It is a fairly COMMON practice for aftermarket headlights to change to H1 for lows and H4 for highs instead of using the standard for the car, atleast thats how it was on my civic and my accord, the problem is these "PROJECTOR" headlights are still MOT RIGHT FOR HID they are HALOGEN PROJECTORS not HID PROJECTORS (which have the proper cutoff and reflector angles). this method is BAD for a few reasons:
1. your messing up your new housings
2. see above (not HID projectors)
3. HID bulbs can be got for like 15 bucks on amazon and forcing the wrong bulb type into another housing is NEVER a good idea, see other HID threads (specifically posts from WhiteBird and VIP1) on light location within the housing.

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 03-02-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Three problems:
1) 8000k is crap output. They are dimmer than Lower K options and the color is less helpful for our night vision.
2) Although you jammed those in there, they are not aligned properly and you are losing performance. And potentially messing with the cut-off (extra light outside the proper beam).
3) Those headlights have smoked lenses that reduce output.

New aftermarket bulbs are $15 a pair. Just order new bulbs in the correct size.

Also 4300K - 5000k are brighter and more OEM in color (4300K is an OEM color). If you want a little more blue, get 6000k.

The K Number is the color. Higher K number is bluer/purpler. However, the light output also goes down (due to the bulb makeup) and the bluer/purpler color is less helpful for our night vision.

Last edited by VIP1; 03-02-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
It is a fairly COMMON practice for aftermarket headlights to change to H1 for lows and H4 for highs instead of using the standard for the car, atleast thats how it was on my civic and my accord, the problem is these "PROJECTOR" headlights are still MOT RIGHT FOR HID they are HALOGEN PROJECTORS not HID PROJECTORS (which have the proper cutoff and reflector angles). this method is BAD for a few reasons:
1. your messing up your new housings
2. see above (not HID projectors)
3. HID bulbs can be got for like 15 bucks on amazon and forcing the wrong bulb type into another housing is NEVER a good idea, see other HID threads (specifically posts from WhiteBird) on light location within the housing.
Luckily I didn't change the projector within the light housing itself. I just had to make the bulb fit. I didn't think it was necessary to buy an H1. At the very least, the part could have said it used H1 bulbs for the primary.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VIP1
Also 4300K - 5000k are brighter and more OEM in color (4300K is an OEM color). If you want a little more blue, get 6000k.
I think 8000k is way better than 6000k. Personal preference. I run 8000k in my truck as well, and I love it.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by USAFzombie
I think 8000k is way better than 6000k. Personal preference. I run 8000k in my truck as well, and I love it.
That is a cosmetic. Not performance.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

That is a cosmetic. Not performance.
Didn't say I did it for performance.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

8000K for the "hey look at me I have an aftermarket HID kit"
Old 03-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
8000K for the "hey look at me I have an aftermarket HID kit"
The camaro didn't really need the upgrade.... The truck on the other hand, was a dramatic improvement. I couldn't see the road at all with the Silverstar Ultra headlights, but when I upgraded to the HID 8000k it was like heaven.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:31 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Now you are blinding everyone with your truck. Congratulations.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:14 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ever wonder why they use red, yellow and green for traffic lights and not blue? It's not because they guess. The spectrum of light that is blue, is actually damaging to the eye, so as a deffense mechanism, the iris naturally closes, letting in less light.

So not only did you put in a light with less lumen output, but you are causing everyone in oncoming traffic to get blinded by them due to the color. It's the reason that police lights are blue because they attract so much attention and it's impossible to not see them. Not a good thing to be honest.

Fact is, blue light is blinding. Congrats on blinding people.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

USAFzombie, I'm restoring this thread. I noticed that you "deleted" this thread and left an unflattering reason. We aren't "hating" we are telling the truth.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I wasn't trying to hate. If I was going to just hate, my response would have simply been:

RICE!!! Should have bought a civic.

Instead, I gave a scientific reason why blue lights are bad. I guess you are one those people that don't like hearing rational reasons or explanations.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

USAFzombie, I'm restoring this thread. I noticed that you "deleted" this thread and left an unflattering reason. We aren't "hating" we are telling the truth.
No. Everyone is just being a jerk about everything. The reason for the projectors was to cut off the light and not blind people. I choose 8000k because I like the color. I didn't post this on here to be criticized by a bunch of people that have nothing better to do than trash talk.

LS1tech has a lot of great info on it, and I will continue to read it, but obviously this is not the place to come and show something you did. All it is is badgering from people constantly.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Calm down. We aren't attacking you (at least I'm not except I guess for the jab at the truck's lights --- I was blinded by someone just like that on the highway a couple nights ago). I'm trying to be helpful. This is a learning experience.

We aren't trying to be jerks. Lets just say we are a little "grizzled" (is that even the right spelling) about this topic. Its a been-there-done-that topic. We've learned a better way for lighting and sometimes some come across harsh on the topic.

At least you didn't react like some and take the "f-you I dont care who I blind" approach...yet.

Also, I don't see any overly rude or obnoxious posts on this thread from either side. Otherwise I'd be hiding posts and handing out infractions.

If you want this thread locked, let me know. However, I don't see any reason to delete it. Whether or not this is the "right" way to do things, it is still informative. There are plenty of worse threads on here that aren't deleted.

Last edited by VIP1; 03-04-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Projector Headlights HID mod