Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sealed Beam replacement for Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright so i'm unsure of the size of our factory sealed beams but i think its 4x6...could these be replaced with a universal 4x6 sealed beam headlight? i've been doing some research on the HID replacement kit but i was also wanting to do some projectors as well. I know that you can buy new sealed beams from LMC and just put HID's in the sealed beams that you buy from them. I am just curious if there is any other vehicles other than the '89 blazer that have the same size sealed beam that the 98-02 Firebird have. The reason i ask is i because i have found on a site that offers a universal sealed beam projector headlights that are black and are 4x6. They supposedly fit the '87-'90 dodge dakota and am curious if they could fit the firebird. Thanks for any of the help

this is what they look like:
Attached Thumbnails Sealed Beam replacement for Firebird-4x6-black-projectors.jpg  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The 1998-2002 Firebird headlights are actually a little smaller than 4x6, but it might work. I forget.

Either way, those in that pic are fake projectors. Its a cheap sealed beam headlight with a hunk of glass stuck inside to fool people into thinking its a projector.

BLS makes projector kits for the 1993-1997 and 1998-2002 Firebird.

I and others have down our own projector setups. Take a look at the Lighting FAQ for more info.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html
Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Teching In

thanks man for informing me. I thought the price was a little too good to be true but doesnt hurt to ask!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Teching In

I must warn you out of personal experience, do not get the ones with the black housing or background as since they are not true projectors nothing is reflected and this renders your headlights absolutely useless!!! If I didnt have fog lights I couldnt have gotten home that night.

Make sure you get ones with the chrome or standard backing.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I once hacked up some headlights so I could mount H7 Silverstar bulbs in them. Really they weren't the greatest, just made the light more white.

Next thing I did was adapt Hella 90mm projectors onto my Formula. They took H9 halogen bulbs, and they were a lot better than the sealed beam, or a fake sealed beam with a bulb in them. The only downside was they didn't look "finished" from the outside, but from a few feet and dark out I figured it wasn't a huge deal.

I got the BLS projector HID set a few years after that and overall it is the best solution. It looks nearly OEM from the outside, was relatively easy to install, and is a bit better than the halogen projector setup light wise. And about 100x better than sealed beams.

Personally I would just go with whatever Sylvania sealed beam replacements there are unless I intended to go all the way to something like the BLS kit.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LMC truck housings work great!

Quick Reply: Sealed Beam replacement for Firebird