Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Window Seal Pulling Up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Seal Pulling Up?

Anybody else have issues with the outter window seal pulling up? I've seen the problem on my friends '01 Camaro and it started happening on my 99' Firebird V6 before I sold it. It seems to be pretty common so I'm hoping someone will be able to give me some advice. Here is a pic of my window seal as it started pulling up:

I'm not sure of the mechanism that holds it in place, seal is holding well on the drivers side but the passenger side is popping up pretty bad. On a side note, I just did the thermal bypass on my window motor and it worked like a charm...only thing it cost me was some bolts/nuts and lithum grease.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had five different F-bodies and i have never had this happen to any of them. I hope its not another issue thats soon to come, i also hope you find a fix. If you do please post it.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

My passenger side door is doing the same thing on my 99 and my friends 96 passenger side door is doing the same thing, so I think it's pretty common.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

I've got this problem too. Mine's really bad and I can see that chunks of the outer door have broken off in the shape of the retaining clips to the point that they can no longer hang on to it. Of course, my car had been in an accident before (not directly to the door), so I'm not sure if my case is an exception or not. Definitely interested in a fix, though!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

mine does the same thing. looks like the clips broke off. idk where to get the clips from
Old 03-05-2013, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have the same problem. It feels like it's clipped back in but just pops out eventually. I think a new piece is needed with new clips, there must be one or two broken, and they are a part of the rubber piece, so you can't just get new clips. I removed them for painting the doors on my old z28 and have a rough idea about how they go back in, but one side I was never able to fully seat correctly.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

does anyone reproduce these?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

same problem on the passenger door. It appears to be a plastic tab has broken off that holds a clip from the weatherstripping. It's a pain in the ***, everytime the window gets lowered I have to go outside and push the weatherstripping back down.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Damn, no solutions yet. I'm going to try and mess around with mine when I do the thermal bypass on my passenger side window motor. From what everyone else has said...sounds like a broken clip of some sort which means it would have to be replaced most likely...
Old 03-05-2013, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Fairly common with the outer window felts. Over time the clips that hold them in place will give way to the elements. Roll the window down completely and see if when you roll the window up if the clip is broken or just opened up too much. You might be able to press it back in without it breaking if it already isn't. Check hawks third gen or contact soff seal, think they make replacements.

Hawks:
http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/pr...-Firebird.html

Camaro Central:
http://www.camarocentral.com/1993_20..._p/wea-115.htm

Good luck in the hunt

Last edited by BigMac76; 03-05-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 03-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Car has fresh paint so its possible they didn't put the stripping back correctly. I'll mess around with it and then if need be I'll bite the bullet and by some new ones :\
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

There ya go, man. More than likely they bent the clip when removing it and didn't remember to bend it back in when reinstalling it.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to see if the door is chipped- if the fiberglass/composite material is missing or worn down. If so there are not many options- even with new pieces.

My 94 is doing this with new seals and my 95 Firehawk used to. On my 95 I drilled small holes along the seal and door by clip - then put a small zip tie through the seal and door. Not pretty but has held for 10 years on my 95
Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Default Ugh!

I ordered a new passenger side window sweep from 1aauto.com and I have to say I'll never order anything from that company ever again. Not only did the window sweep not fit my car correctly but upon arrival one of the clips was already broken and the rubber on the sweep had deep knicks/imperfections. To make it fit, I had to end up taking off the two clips by the mirror because they would not line up correctly. Then I had to silicone the part with missing clips into place...

I probably should have sent the part back but I'm just tired of screwing with this bull ****....GM really did a shitty job of designing these doors. The window motors go out, the mechanism for holding window sweeps is crappy at best, not to mention it's really hard to find a single door panel that is not cracked at least a little.

Okay, I'm done venting. Seriously though, if you are going to get a replacement sweep, don't order from 1aauto.com. Pay a little more money and order from somewhere else.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 AM
On The Tree

Reason why I offered up hawks and camaro central. Ordered a carpet for one of my blazers a long time ago from them and it was garbage. I ended up sending it back and customer service was a royal pita to get them to take it back and not get hit for the 15% restock fee. Hell, I could have bought some auto grade carpet and it would have looked better than that stuff.

Sucks to hear you had an issue with them man. Hopefully the sweep will last and work out for you as needed.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Yea I should have ordered from those sites and if the silicone doesn't hold on this one I'll be ordering from there. I'm just glad I paid extra and got an aluminum headlight gear and didn't order the plastic one from them. (Got the headlight buzzing issue)

Anyway, putting in a new window sweep shouldn't be that hard as long as you have the window brushes loosened (IDK what they're called, they push the window outward and have a soft material on the end of them) and remove the mirror(3 bolts)/mirror bracket(3 bolts). My problem turned out being broken/badly bent clips on my old sweep, it looks like it would be pretty hard to break the fiberglass that the clips hook into but anything is possible.

I'll let you all know if the silicone holds, I just ran a bead of silicone under the lip/inner back of the sweep, smoothed it with a popsicle stick. Then I seated the sweep and wedged a half of a foam roller (looks like a pool noodle) between the sweep and inner door panel to keep pressure while it dries. If you use silicone you probably want to take your time, it can be messy, definitely make sure you clean up all the extra silicone if some squishes out from applied pressure. Wipe off the excess with a rag and I found that rubbing alcohol works well for removing the oily residue.

Quick Reply: Window Seal Pulling Up?