Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BLS 98-02 Firebird Projector Headlight kit V2 Teaser Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up BLS 98-02 Firebird Projector Headlight kit V2 Teaser Pics!

This has been a long time coming and I would like to thank The Alchemist for letting us use his car for initial headlight testing. His car looks just as good as it does in the pictures.

The V2 kit features the following:

- Morimoto bi-xenon projector utilizing a D2S lamp (Actual lamp is a D2H)
- Improved low beam performance over original D2S
- Internal movable shield controlled by a solenoid to provide HID high beam within one unit (bi-xenon)
- Easier installation all within the factory bucket
- No permanent modification required to the original factory headlight bucket
- Will work seamlessly for those who purchased the premium kit including the projector high beams

We intend to offer this in the following ways:

- V1 upgrade kit for existing customers. You keep your existing wiring, ballasts and lenses. All you need is our new hardware, a set of lamps and some small additional wiring.

- Basic V2 - This will include everything sans the HID kit and wiring. A choice for those who wish to source their HID components elsewhere or already have a kit,

- Standard V2 - This includes everything including HID kit and wiring for a complete installation

- Premium V2 - This will combine the new V2 bi-xenon projector in the low beam housing position and our 60mm Hella offering for the high beams.

We will tweak the offering depending on demand.

The pictures below are a teaser to what will be offered by us very soon so stay tuned for more details. We ran into a small issue of not having the correct buckets for the high beam so these were omitted from the install. Complete and final pics will be taken once those are sourced.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks great, any pricing yet? Original customer here and the kit still performs amazing!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Looking to be brand new customer. Interested in pricing as well.

One question though. If these are bi-xenon what will the high beam lights be for? Meaning, with the optional 60 hella or if not buying the premium kit and keeping the factory high beam light, will this allow the new bi-xenon lights to be on high along w/ the factory highs for a (in truck world,) 4 hi mod.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, basically. You could leave the sealed beam high beam connected if you wanted. Or go nuts and put a second projector for the high beam also. I did that on my Camaro and the high beams are ridiculously bright now lol.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately going to upgrade my kit with these. Can they handle 55w ballasts?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

so what will the "Basic V2" kit cost since there's no hid kit included?

I gotta get a oil pan gasket done so it will be a while before I can afford anything.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mac62989
Looks great, any pricing yet? Original customer here and the kit still performs amazing!
Thanks for the positive feedback. The upgrade cost isn't finalized but it should be around $225-$250 when all is said and done. Perhaps less on a GP.

Originally Posted by WS6 What
Looking to be brand new customer. Interested in pricing as well.

One question though. If these are bi-xenon what will the high beam lights be for? Meaning, with the optional 60 hella or if not buying the premium kit and keeping the factory high beam light, will this allow the new bi-xenon lights to be on high along w/ the factory highs for a (in truck world,) 4 hi mod.
Yes that would be correct. As Sparky mentioned, Firebirds have all four lights come on when you click the highs. We are simply taking power from the high beam circuit to control the solenoid in the projector. You can either choose to run just the bi-xenon projector and not light up the halogen high beam or all 4 at the same time.

Originally Posted by BlueBird346
Definately going to upgrade my kit with these. Can they handle 55w ballasts?
Great and yes they can.

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
so what will the "Basic V2" kit cost since there's no hid kit included?

I gotta get a oil pan gasket done so it will be a while before I can afford anything.
Again, final pricing has not been set but figure in the $325-$350 range.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

Looks awesome!
Too bad I didn't get a chance to test but Alchemist has a pretty sweet ride

Will you begin to stop selling the V1 kit?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:14 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

A huge shout out to Brian@BLS. It was a pleasure working with you and once I get everything buttoned up I will take the car out for a ride and give some feedback. These actually have a better cutoff and output than both of my saab's that have factory projector beams in them. My 9-3 has HID's and my 9-7x has halogen projectors.

I may put my original BLS projectors in the high beam buckets just to complete the look, but I'm still undecided. I will put up additional pics as well once it's completed.

Again, thanks for the opportunity to help out Brian.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I like this.....the cut off step is not nearly as large as the V1 kits.

Nice !!!

Last edited by No Juice; 03-06-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Looks great, but why the Morimoto D2S instead of the Morimoto Mini-H1? Did they release a new version with better output? Previously the Mini-H1 version had better output than the D2S version. (Strange/confusing I know)
Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
Looks awesome!
Too bad I didn't get a chance to test but Alchemist has a pretty sweet ride

Will you begin to stop selling the V1 kit?
Thank you. We will continue to sell the V1 likely with a reduced price.

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
A huge shout out to Brian@BLS. It was a pleasure working with you and once I get everything buttoned up I will take the car out for a ride and give some feedback. These actually have a better cutoff and output than both of my saab's that have factory projector beams in them. My 9-3 has HID's and my 9-7x has halogen projectors.

I may put my original BLS projectors in the high beam buckets just to complete the look, but I'm still undecided. I will put up additional pics as well once it's completed.

Again, thanks for the opportunity to help out Brian.
No problem and thanks again. I look forward to the pictures with everything buttoned up.

Originally Posted by No Juice
I like this.....the cut off step is not nearly as large as the V1 kits.

Nice !!!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by VIP1
Looks great, but why the Morimoto D2S instead of the Morimoto Mini-H1? Did they release a new version with better output? Previously the Mini-H1 version had better output than the D2S version. (Strange/confusing I know)
We started with the MH1 for the reason you mentioned however we simply couldn't get everything to seal properly. With the headlights in the down position, the bulb holder area is right below where the hood meets the headlight cover. Water from washing the vehicle or rain simply was not ideal. The mini D2S is much more robustly sealed and protected than the MH1 in the bulb holder area. The MH1's also will not handle a 50/55W ballast system. The length of the projector bowl with the lamp was cause for concern. Lastly, the ease of install made the D2S version just an overall winner in this regard. We browse HIDplanet and speak with TRS regularly regarding these products and while the MH1 was the ideal choice, we are very happy with the performance of the D2S model. Compared with the V1, this unit will provide better low beam and certainly high beam performance over the factory halogen or 60mm Hella high beam module.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I`ve been wanting a kit since you guys first started offering them, but I was broke due to suspension mods and needed new headlights so I went with the LMC housings.

Been waiting for the V2 kit, and I`m glad I have. Hopefully by the time the prices are finalised and I`m hoping there will be a GP, I`ll have the $$$ ready for a nice kit
Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cemlsx
I`ve been wanting a kit since you guys first started offering them, but I was broke due to suspension mods and needed new headlights so I went with the LMC housings.

Been waiting for the V2 kit, and I`m glad I have. Hopefully by the time the prices are finalised and I`m hoping there will be a GP, I`ll have the $$$ ready for a nice kit
Yup, please update this post when you run a GP
Old 03-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by BLSolutions
We started with the MH1 for the reason you mentioned however we simply couldn't get everything to seal properly. With the headlights in the down position, the bulb holder area is right below where the hood meets the headlight cover. Water from washing the vehicle or rain simply was not ideal. The mini D2S is much more robustly sealed and protected than the MH1 in the bulb holder area. The MH1's also will not handle a 50/55W ballast system. The length of the projector bowl with the lamp was cause for concern. Lastly, the ease of install made the D2S version just an overall winner in this regard. We browse HIDplanet and speak with TRS regularly regarding these products and while the MH1 was the ideal choice, we are very happy with the performance of the D2S model. Compared with the V1, this unit will provide better low beam and certainly high beam performance over the factory halogen or 60mm Hella high beam module.
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize that the bulb mounting area was sealed that much differently. I know they are different shape bulbs but I didn't realize how different they were sealed back there since both are basically "open" designs (especially when you take into account that you are using a D2H bulb instead of a D2S bulb).

Also, to my knowledge, the Morimoto D2s can't handle 55watt (just like the Mini-H1 version can't).
Old 03-06-2013, 04:18 PM
FormerVendor

The D2H lamp was used as it simply provides AMP leads to connect to just about every aftermarket ballast. As mentioned, it's gives a little more room behind the lamp to avoid any clearance issues. We may be able to get a D2S lamp in there and provide adapters for customer who presently have a HID kit. If you take a look at the pictures from the rear of the D2S and MH1, you will notice the significant difference in the bulb holder area. The D2S has a threaded cap with a gasket whereas the MH1 is simply the lamp secured with a metal clip.

Also, the D2S is sold by TRS with the 50W ballast option. The bowl of the D2S is wider and larger than the MH1. Readings from the DDM ballasts for the 55w systems show a slight overrating on average so I would consider it comparable to the TRS 50w ballasts.

Those purchasing new, complete kits can make the choice on whether they wish to use a 35W kit versus the 50W.

Last edited by BLSolutions; 03-06-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Typing from mobile device isn't recommended haha
Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I know why you chose the D2H versus the D2S and it makes sense. I wasn't attempting any bad comment on that.

I guess I haven't looked at the back of the Morimoto D2S projector in a while. I'll have to see that.

I'm surprised TRS sells the Morimoto D2S projector with 50watt HID.

I hope I'm not coming across as negative. I'm just curious about the package.

Can you post a pic of the back of the fully assembled unit with bulb?

Keep up the good work.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 PM
FormerVendor

No negative feedback taken. You know your lighting and asked all good questions. I don't have a picture handy but perhaps I can get a few from The Alchemist when he buttons everything up.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Yes, basically. You could leave the sealed beam high beam connected if you wanted. Or go nuts and put a second projector for the high beam also. I did that on my Camaro and the high beams are ridiculously bright now lol.
Originally Posted by BLSolutions

Yes that would be correct. As Sparky mentioned, Firebirds have all four lights come on when you click the highs. We are simply taking power from the high beam circuit to control the solenoid in the projector. You can either choose to run just the bi-xenon projector and not light up the halogen high beam or all 4 at the same time.

Again, final pricing has not been set but figure in the $325-$350 range.
Thanks sparky, that is how my tahoe is w/ quad mini h1's. So i kind of had the idea, but wasnt sure w/ the trans am setup.

Thanks also BLS for the reply.

Cant wait to see final pricing for the kits.

Will be looking into it, as the factory lights are terrible.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I'm glad to see BLS still around and doing so well. I am hoping to get one the kits later this spring. However I wouldn't want to leave my stock sealed beam in the high spot. I would like everything to match. It might sound strange but that's the way I am.

Quick Reply: BLS 98-02 Firebird Projector Headlight kit V2 Teaser Pics!