Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Just finished "Whistler Mod"

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just finished "Whistler Mod"

Spent 5 bucks for a can of kyrlon fusion gloss black and a few bucks for tape and a lot of time taping off the headlights but it turned out good. The whistler mod really changes the look of the front of the car. Cant believe I didnt do this before! I used "The right stuff" silicon to seal them back up and havent had any issues. I didnt notice any difference in light really, I have 600k HIDs and the only difference might be a little less visible light on the side of the road but I turn on my fog lights and they take care of the side of the road. thanks to ls1tech for the knowledge on how to do this!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Those came out nice, I want to do that but I know I'll mess mine up since I can't paint for **** lol
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks lol, that kylon paint actually lays down pretty nice if you just keep your coats light I think it would be hard to create any runs. and I scuffed up the plastic with scotch bright so it would adhear better. the hardest part honestly was taping off the back part, and cleaning off all the old silicone. the rest was cake.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Those came out nice, I want to do that but I know I'll mess mine up since I can't paint for **** lol
You can get the depo lights that are pre-whistlered from 6LE, Amazon, etc. yeah, costs more than DIY but also doesn't run the risk of botching it. This is the route I'd probably take if I didn't have HID projectors as I don't trust my painting skills (or lack thereof!) plus my old stock lights were yellowing anyway.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
You can get the depo lights that are pre-whistlered from 6LE, Amazon, etc. yeah, costs more than DIY but also doesn't run the risk of botching it. This is the route I'd probably take if I didn't have HID projectors as I don't trust my painting skills (or lack thereof!) plus my old stock lights were yellowing anyway.

haha believe me, right before I decided to do this I was about to purchase some off Sears website for 138 and then I figured for as much as paint costs and my lights are in good shape it was well worth a try. i think amazon was only 127 or something like that but it didnt say anywhere it was priced for a SET like sears was so it was a little iffy.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Turned out good man! How hard are they to open up in the oven?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Yea that's another reason why I haven't done it yet lol
Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Derek's 99 Z
Turned out good man! How hard are they to open up in the oven?
They werent too bad at all, just used a butter knife to pry the edges a bit and the once the silicone breaks loose they come apart easy.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:39 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kingc,i suck at painting as well and mine looked fine,
Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM
On The Tree

Put mine in the oven @ 200* for 20 mins like the DIY mod asked for... baked the crap out of the lenses I spent 4 hours buffing it out! Never again... no worries though, I just bought a pair of BLS headlights w/ Morimoto bixenon projectors 5k HIDs whistlerd
Old 03-07-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good!! I thought about doing the whistlered mod before I bought the projector lights. & also your car & mines are exactly alike.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome.

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
Use a flat black, you can't mess it up, lol.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1jorge
Looks good!! I thought about doing the whistlered mod before I bought the projector lights. & also your car & mines are exactly alike.
haha dang thats crazy they are huh, same rims and everything. How many miles does yours have on it? mine just turned over 47,000 today

Quick Reply: Just finished "Whistler Mod"