Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

redline goods a4 shift boot questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redline goods a4 shift boot questions

Was just wondering if anyone has one of the shift boots for an automatic from them. Curious about fitment, difficulty of install, durability and overall how it looks and if it causes any issues with the movement of the shifter. Really want to buy a black one with red stitching but would like some firsthand reviews first. Thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 05:07 AM
Staging Lane

I have one in my TA, it was easy to install and looks good. The leather feels nice and the stiching looks right. The shifter works just like original. I reccomend the armrest and emergency brake covers if you can afford it. Gives it a nice finished feel and the padded armrest cover is much more comfortable than the factory armrest.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is a picture how it´s look in my car.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:55 PM
TECH Veteran

^^Yep, what they said.

The install is as easy as removing the upper console, removing the shift indicator assembly, removing the plastic sliders, placing the shift boot in there, and once you have it lined up you tighten down the four screws to hold it in place. It reminds me of the early 90's A4 Corvette shift boots. It looks very clean and gives the interior a much needed improvement. I also purchased the arm rest lid cover, I highly recommend that as well as it completes the look, it is more comfortable on your elbow, and perfectly matches the rest of the leather in the car.

BTW those pictures on Redlinegood's site of the auto shift boot with the black "Z28" shift **** is my old Camaro. Since then I have transferred that shift boot over to my 02 Firebird and went back to the stock Camaro shift **** for a more stock and clean look...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a pretty simple and straight forward install and well worth it to liven up the otherwise boring appearance of the A4 interior. I spent a couple hours working on it but that included a little clean up of the console and shifter mech while I was at it along with pulling out about $12 in loose change from around the shifter and under the carpet.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got my Redline Leather stuff today! I'm an A4 as well.

I ordered the Armrest cover, ebrake boot, & auto shift boot.

I will say the auto shift boot seems extremely small at the top, and I do have a question, can you still keep the gear indicator? :o
Old 03-13-2013, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes you can
Old 03-13-2013, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vikingramair
Yes you can
Do you just remove all the black plastic tab things and keep the one that is the actual gear indicator?

Or know of a write up? + This will also help OP
Old 03-15-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea most likely going to order one, maybe today, I attempted this once before with a "universal" boot I found on eBay and well after a few hours of trying to get it to work I gave up, it bunched up at the back when it was in heat and looked like ****, you could barely move the shifter and it barely went into park, so this one sounds like a better bet at least, as long as it comes with instructions lol, and I'm glad to see one in a t/a, I say that bc I have a shifter from a t/a in my camaro, I always liked the t handle better, and on a side note vikingramair who did the red stitching on your e brake handle and shift handle? Would love to have something like that done to mine, would really help complete the look.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ebrake handle and Ebrake boot is redline. Shifter is custom made
Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how far around the bottom of the console lid does the leather cover go? could i use it to cover a console lid that has separated?
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

^^ it's just enough to fill the hole, I don't think you'll be able to cover anything up with it
Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Launching!

I have these as well... I liked the shift boot and e-brake boot... but not really impressed with the fit of the console cover. Wish it was tighter to the original lid. Mine is a little loose in spots and appears baggy. I couldn't get a good fit up under the lid base. Looks good from a far, but up close it could be better. I am a bit of a perfectioninst though too, so i expect the best.

Quick Reply: redline goods a4 shift boot questions