Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Time for new car wash supplies. Suggestions please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for new car wash supplies. Suggestions please?

Hey guys

I love washing and detailing my car, as as spring is right around the corner, I feel like getting new soap, wax, interior cleaner, etc.

I normally use a lot of Meguiar's products, but i've noticed that people use some stuff that I haven't really heard of from autogeek.com?

I have a Black Trans Am and want to use the best stuff possible in order to avoid fine scratches from washing it.

What soap/waxes do you use, and also what is a trustworthy/price effective brand of microfiber, and a recommended website to order stuff from?

Thank you!
Old 03-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Hey steve, I run an auto detailing business on the side (for reference) and here is my suggestions of a few things..

2 Clear Buckets (from autogeek, they have measurments!)
2 Grit Guards
2 Meguiar's Wash Mits (cheap & very effective)
For Microfibers, visit chemical guys website "wacky deals" imo best price per volume with quaility. Otherwise go with Cobra's from AG

Soaps (your choice)
CG Mr Pink
Meguiar's Hyper Wash (D110)
Optimium No Rinse W&W
CG citrus wash & gloss

Interior Cleaner
Griots Garage Interior Cleaner
Meguiars APC
(Blackfire APC or interior cleaner if cost isn't an issue)

Collinite 845 Wax (Best priced wax with 6 month durability)
Optimium Car Wax (great spray wax)
Wolfgang Fuzion (Very expensive)
Old 03-16-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use all meguiars products on my black camaro, guy above me made a lot of good suggestions though, but for me personally I haven't found anything I like better than meguiars
Old 03-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Launching!

Thanks a lot guys. Really happy to have that list to go off of!! Really interested in trying one of the above soaps along with the Collinite wax. I have been using Meguiars Gold Class car wash along with that Gold Class Caranauba plus wax, but I always felt like that wax didn't last very long
Old 03-16-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea the gold class is ok, but the ultimate wash and tech wax 2.0 is where its at for meguiars side, but I may try some of the above combos as well, I'm no detailed by any means so its good to have some insigh from someone who is
Old 03-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Colin, I have C5 Corvette wheels and they seem to have some stains that are in the actual finish. Anything I can do about that? I will post pics in a few. Anyways, what is a pretty effective and long lasting polish and also a wheel cleaner that will not take off the polish but still clean them?? (if that's even possible)
Old 03-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by US_Army_Z28
Yea the gold class is ok, but the ultimate wash and tech wax 2.0 is where its at for meguiars side, but I may try some of the above combos as well, I'm no detailed by any means so its good to have some insigh from someone who is
Definitely. I wish I had tried the ultimate wash. I always really liked the gold class but I would imagine it is good to try different soaps.Excited to try some new stuff out
Old 03-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

I've always liked gold class, but like was said above..get two buckets and grit guards, a good mitt, and my favorite drying towel is the mothers foam core drying towel on Amazon. Also, you may want to look into rinseless washes. Duragloss rinseless with aquawax for a 2 bucket rinseless wash is my go to about 90% of the time over a traditional wash. I can do a wash and dress the tires in about 20 min. I actually think a rinseless wash, as long as the car isn't covered in mud, is safer than a traditional wash, as far as marring
Old 03-16-2013, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm partial to Surf City Garage, but there is nothing wrong with anything by Meguiar's
Old 03-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Launching!

By Rinseless it's just like doing a regular carwash but you just don't use a hose and also don't need to rinse the soap off with regular water? And the 2 buckets, i'm assuming one with soap and one to dip the wash mit in in-between panels or whatever?
Old 03-17-2013, 02:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SteveWs6
By Rinseless it's just like doing a regular carwash but you just don't use a hose and also don't need to rinse the soap off with regular water? And the 2 buckets, i'm assuming one with soap and one to dip the wash mit in in-between panels or whatever?
Yeah that's the basic idea. People have different opinions on the best way to do it. I use 3 microfiber towels to wash it with instead of a wash mitt, and I pre-soak the car with some of the solution from my wash bucket using a spray bottle. It's great for winter washing in the garage. Here's a couple links.
http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...r-vehicle.html
Old 03-17-2013, 02:41 AM
Launching!

Colin, I have C5 Corvette wheels and they seem to have some stains that are in the actual finish. Anything I can do about that? I will post pics in a few. Anyways, what is a pretty effective and long lasting polish and also a wheel cleaner that will not take off the polish but still clean them?? (if that's even possible)
Sonax Full Effect
Old 03-17-2013, 03:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Foam master II foam gun, Adam's Car Shampoo(the suds are great), Adam's wash mitt(I like it much better than the Meg's wash mitt and I use primarily Meg's prodcuts.
As mentioned two buckets, two grit guards, good washing/drying techniques(more important than the products IMO)

As far as microfibers, check out detailing. c o m, I have used Cobra's from AG and wasn't happy. Detailing. c o m has a fantastic price on their MF's, the grey ones w/ the black silk edge are very nice. Even their plain white utility towel is softer than most I've used.

Sonax wheel cleaner, wheel woolies or daytona speed brush depending on what type of wheels you have.

As far as what wax/sealant to use will depend on what you use the car for.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Are they polished/chrome/bare aluminum? Depend on what type of finish will dictate how you go out correcting them.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I use Zaino polish, car wash soap, detail spray, well just about everything they offer. I also like Adams wheel cleaner and their glass cleaner. Adams also has a lot of accessories that are good as well. Zaino's polish works great it is really easy to apply and take off, plus it lasts a very long time.

For the interior I use Zaino leather cleaner and the conditioner. Works and smells great!

For your wheels I have heard great things about sonex but have never tried it. I do know that a lot of professionals use it and swear by it. I used Adams which is supposed to be equal but it's a brand new product.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Launching!

PICTURES OF MY RIMS
The first one is my car with the rims on it, and the 2nd two are pics of the tarnishing
or whatever you want to call it, in the rims. I think they are polished but I don't know
how to distinguish between polished and chrome

http://i45.tinypic.com/2gtstnb.jpg
http://tinypic.com/m/fw4v3c/1
http://i50.tinypic.com/bhxeg1.jpg

I will definitely explore all the above suggested options. Feels really good to start learning about a lot of great products! The CG Citrus soap really caught my eye with its reviews
Old 03-17-2013, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe those are chrome wheels. I would personally try the Adams or Sonex wheel cleaner as a start. If that doesn't work I would go with some sort of metal polish. I have had success with Adams metal polish 1 and 2 on my exhaust tips and the inside of my rims. Maybe for chrome someone else has a better product. If that still doesn't work I would try 0000 steel wool and wheel cleaner. Id have a friend that works for a body shop do this for me since you can damage the wheel more. I just recently bought a Pontiac Grand Prix GTX and the chrome wheels were messed up. Something close to yours. I never got a chance to try anything because my friend took care of it before I even broght the car home. Now they are flawles. Hope this helps, hopefully someone else has another idea to try before wetsanding them. That is the most extream option. I think that the Wheel cleaner will work and I'd do the metal polish just for fun.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can't tell by the pics, they are too dark. The way to tell if they are polished or not is take metal polish on a rag and do a test spot. If your rag turns black they are polished. If not they are cleared/chrome.

From what I can see in the pic looks pretty bad, but I can't tell if its just brake dust or actual corrosion.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

I use the Meguiars NXT tech wax 2.0 with a buffer and that stuff is awesome, it really beads water nicely and it lasts a decent amount of time. My car always looks so shiny with that stuff
Old 03-17-2013, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

I use almost all Meguiars car supplies but I'm no pro either! Its a great product to start off with... I have watched videos on Youtube of Adams Auto Detailing and they have really good techniques, its just their product is a little too far on the expensive side for me!

Quick Reply: Time for new car wash supplies. Suggestions please?