Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Simple, clean, quick wiring of LED halo lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple, clean, quick wiring of LED halo lights

So I wanted to share my solution to wiring LED halo lights. I wanted them on switched power, on whenever the car was on. One day I may add a switch, but that was more than I had the time to do. Previously, they were added in parallel to the parking lights, but turning those on added tail lights, etc. I wanted them on alone.

Since I'm not pulling very much current, I didn't want to bother with a relay or anything too complex. I wanted it fused, in case of some problematic failure. There's a blank spot in one of the engine bay fuse boxes labelled ETC that's unused and on the ACC switch. It's used in the V6, but not on my Z28 (Those of you with a v6 can use another blank fuse slot, there should be at least 1). That's what I used to supply power.

I got a 10amp fuse and inline fuse holder from radio shack. Put one end of that into the open slot, and ran the other to both hot lines from the LED's in parallel. The grounds from the LED's remained with the parking lights. Now, they are on and remain on whenever there is power to the ACC circuit. The mod took a whopping 15 minutes to complete once I got all the parts.

I had run many searches for a solution to running the LED's alone and independent from other lights, but found nothing that really helped. Hopefully this will help others with my same goals.

Quick Reply: Simple, clean, quick wiring of LED halo lights