Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cloth or Touchless car washes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cloth or Touchless car washes

I've been asking many people I know including a couple of detailers and I keep getting mixed reviews on what's best for my car. There are a few options for car washes and I'm unsure what my best option is so that my paint stays fresh and scratchless! Some people keep telling me that touchless is the best, but then one detailer that I went to told me to stay away and that touchless would just blast the dirt that's on my car into my paint. I like washing my car myself but where I live I don't have my own personal driveway to always do that and sometimes an automatic car wash or coin wash is my only option. Any advice on which washing method is best or if touchless car washes are really that bad?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you absolutely must take it to an automatic car wash do NOT take it to a touch, you do not want any used dirty cloth/rollers wiping your car down causing scratches and swirls (think about the cars going in there before you, the rollers are picking up all that dirt from them and previous cars, and where does it go? On the next car, so on and so forth). A touchless would be more ideal, but if its a higher pressure wash, your t-tops will likely leak as the high pressure water hits the seal between them and the windows. After do NOT hand dry the car, if its not perfectly clean (and it won't be) you will be pushing leftover dirt into the paint and causing scratches and swirls. You will likely have water spots as well... On the same note do NOT wipe the car down if its just dirty or dusty, that will cause some major swirls.
In your case if you want to properly wash it Id go to the coin wash and use junkmans method here, watch the whole video series:
Old 04-13-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^ Good advice. Those touchless washes never get your car completely clean. They are good to use in the winter if it's too cold to hand wash it. Just don't ever go to an auto wash that has all those brushes that scratch the hell out of your paint.

I'd recommend a waterless wash in your case. Look up the Gary Dean method.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:41 AM
Teching In

I use too rinse the brush off first for the do it urself car wash. Helped a little I guess.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh lord... go to detailedimage.com and start reading the Ask A Pro blog and how to guides. It will teach you how to properly care for your paint with lots of pictures and information from industry leaders. If your still curious join up over at Autopia.org where said leaders hang out.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the tips guys! I really like the vids with junkman posted by JD_AMG. Junkman was very thorough in showing how to wash a car properly without any damage to the paint. Thanks as well to My6speedZ for the link to detailedimage.com....they have tons of products that i didn't even know existed and their blog is awesome as well. I am never going to an auto gas station wash again and will try to wash my ride myself at a friends house from now on.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

Look Garry Dean wash method on YouTube, that way you can wash your car yourself and not swirl up the paint. Even with no driveway.

It's rinse less and requires no hose
Old 04-15-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My cars rarely get dirty enough to warrant a full scrub, but when they do, I just go to a regular coin wash with a bucket, wash mitt and high quality car shampoo. I wash the car off really well first, then I scrub the car with my wash mitt and soapy bucket of water. Then I rinse the car really well.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AWDTBSS makes a good point. If you dont have a driveway (I take it to mean you live in an apartment complex) then look up Gary Dean and educate yourself on rinse less washes. I don't know what I would do if I had to wash my car traditional (water/hose/bucket) style every time. I think I'd blow my brains out.

I use Optimum No Rinse. Gary Dean has his own thing called Infinite Use Detail Juice but I have never tried it. A couple people prefer it over ONR, but reviews are slow to come in because ONR is tried and true and most people buy it by the gallon.

This lets you just use a bucket and a series of towel.

Get yourself some nice quality Microfibers to go with what ever you buy, IMO that is the number one most important thing. They aren't cheap and you'll know and regret it if you get crappy ones.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 04-29-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Cloth or Touchless car washes