Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Side molding removal... whats the odds?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Side molding removal... whats the odds?

I know how to remove my side molding. My question is whats the odds that when I remove it the outline won't go away? Anybody done this and messed up? Its pewter.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Use goo gone and a heat gun, don't forget to use a soft fiber or cloth
Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took mine off the previous owner had cleared over them so I have a line where the clear was not put under. It looks like crap but I am hoping that a light wet sand will make it look better.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Launching!

I pulled mine off years ago and there aren't any lines or marks. It looks fine. Just take your time.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an outline too, but only on the small piece on the quarter panel of the drivers side... Where the original owner had some body work done. Luckily it's not too noticeable, and the other areas worked out perfectly.

It's really impossible to know what you'll find, unless you're the original owner. The original owners of my car lied to me as far as the car having been in a collision or requiring any body/paint work.

A lot of people/shops repaint or reclear cars without removing the molding, that's when you'll get issues.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is pewter as well. I ripped mine off last year. It takes patience to get the glue off, but most of it will come off. I only have one spot where the paint is actually faded. It's like a 1 inch spot where the front corner of the drivers door molding was. Still the car looks way better with it off. Oh, and from rubbing the goo off the car, you will get blisters on your thumbs if you don't wrap them in tape or something. (I didn't think about this, and the next morning my thumb was one giant freaking blister.)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3m makes an eraser wheel you put in your drill, it won't and can't harm your paint I've removed a lot of molding on cars with it always worked sweet and never get any blisters... I bought mine at napa hope this helps you guys.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Uneverknow
3m makes an eraser wheel you put in your drill, it won't and can't harm your paint I've removed a lot of molding on cars with it always worked sweet and never get any blisters... I bought mine at napa hope this helps you guys.
^That's probably the better way to do it
I kinda did mine on impulse. I went outside one day and just said F-it and went at it.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Mine is pewter aswell, the driverside came off totally clean, you would NEVER know there was one there but the passenger side has a faint line, most people won't notice it.

Here are pictures from right after I finished cleaning the adhesive off (on the side where you can see the line) and what I used to do it.

As has been said you will ONLY get a line if the area has been repainted at any point, if you KNOW there has never been body work then your fine.

It was actually one year ago today after a little over a month of owning this car that I did this.
Attached Thumbnails Side molding removal... whats the odds?-2012-04-21_18-25-47_104.jpg   Side molding removal... whats the odds?-2012-04-21_18-25-52_258.jpg   Side molding removal... whats the odds?-2012-04-21_18-26-02_235.jpg   Side molding removal... whats the odds?-2012-04-21_18-24-50_801.jpg  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

and here is a picture from about 2 weeks ago of the same side.

I had clay bard it about a week or 2 after removing the molding but that didn't do anything so I just stopped caring about it and now it's hard to tell it was there in pictures but you can still see it if you look (I just went out there with an LED flashlight and it is clearly visible).
Attached Thumbnails Side molding removal... whats the odds?-img_20130408_185734_008.jpg  
Old 04-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Launching!

I removed mine. Looks perfect. Goo Gone helps, but you're going to have to put some thumb rubbing into it lol. Mine were sore for a little bit.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Y2K_Camaro
I removed mine. Looks perfect. Goo Gone helps, but you're going to have to put some thumb rubbing into it lol. Mine were sore for a little bit.
I tried for ages with GOO GONE didn't get barely anywhere, then I got GOOF OFF (see above picture) and a clean cotton rag and went to town and under an hour after first spraying of the GOOF OFF it was all done and no sore thumbs like I had dealing with GOO GONE.

GOOF OFF IS FAR SUPERIOR TO GOO GONE FOR THIS APPLICATION.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I tried for ages with GOO GONE didn't get barely anywhere, then I got GOOF OFF (see above picture) and a clean cotton rag and went to town and under an hour after first spraying of the GOOF OFF it was all done and no sore thumbs like I had dealing with GOO GONE.

I can vouch for this. You can get a pint of it from walmart for around $5 too. A pint is more than enough for the whole car. It made removing my side molding easy peasy.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards

Nice! Good to know now, wish I knew then lol. Well this will come in handy when my buddy pulls his strip off.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

I did this to my pewter ss 2 weeks ago and used fishing line after the car sat in the sun for a few hours. Using a sawing motion to cut thru the 3m glue. Then using my thumbs or palms removing the glue. Then what residue that was left I used a micro fiber towel with wd 40 to remove the rest. Turned out great. I have done this on my silver ss and 2500 ram also. Always works great and usually takes about 1 1/2 hours total. When your done wash your car and spray detailer on the spots you removed or wax them and enjoy the look!!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Heat up using a hair dryer (or sun if available) and use fishing line or dental floss to get behind and "saw" through the adhesive. Then pull off as much as you can from the panel, then break out the goo gone.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Furious1
Heat up using a hair dryer (or sun if available) and use fishing line or dental floss to get behind and "saw" through the adhesive. Then pull off as much as you can from the panel, then break out the goo gone.
Did my trans am in January, like 35 degrees out. Hit it with a heat gun as I was pulling it off, it came off fairly easy. I used goof off for the residue, came out perfect except for a small portion that was repaainted by the previous owner. You can only see it if you are really looking closely.

Do it! Makes a huge difference
Old 04-23-2013, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a warning, yes goof off works better but be warned, it CAN and will melt the clear if too much pressure is used or left in one spot too long. Very powerful but effective if used properly. Those with a slight line should be able to have that area wet sanded and buffed.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 AM
TECH Resident

when i did mine i completley forgot the original owner had body work done on the driver side... so i got 2 minor spots were you can see they didn't remove the molding to paint it. needless to say i plan on trying to wet sand it and get it to go away.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

I guess I got lucky with mine. I think the owner before me may have taken them off before and then reapplied them when trying to sell it. They came off with little effort and was able to get 99% of the glue off with my thumbs while simultaneously removing a good portion of my fingerprints from my thumb (thumbs were sore for the rest of the day). In the end you could never tell they were there. No paint discoloration, clear coat damage, and defiantly cleans up the look of the T/A.

Quick Reply: Side molding removal... whats the odds?