Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bought a Firebird. Gauge LEDs, shift indicator+shift boot, and Camaro AC knobs

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a Firebird. Gauge LEDs, shift indicator+shift boot, and Camaro AC *****

I wrecked my Camaro back in November and replaced it with this 2002 NBM Firebird WS6. It had 60,000 miles the day I bought her with a full service done.
So far I have added all the stuff mentioned in the title, strut tower brace, SLP air lid, SLP smooth bellow, painted the brake calipers red, and a Magnaflow muffler was on the car already. My next mods will be some Konis and Strano springs, TT2s, changing the exhaust tips from stock, and tinting the windows.

Sorry for the shitty pics.

The car:

Gauge cluster LEDs (W5W 194 bulbs):

MAP light LEDs (W5W 194 5K white bulbs):

Shift Indicator+Boot(Macewen silver shift overlay, BUT not used as an overlay. I sanded all the factory graphics from the plastic piece and put this under it. If one uses this as an actual overlay as intended it is nearly impossible to see the gear indicator to see what gear the car is in.) (The boot is a redlinegoods auto shift boot):

One to shift the boot in gear:

Camaro AC+headlight *****:

I also added a little grommet to the trip reset hole:

Old 04-25-2013, 07:11 AM
TECH Veteran

I'll try and get some pictures of the rest of the car later today.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 PM
Launching!

what size is the grommet for the trip reset or where did u get it? also are your gauges red or orange?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Hardware store and red.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good! And now that you know what you're doing with the bird you can help me out with mine!! lol. Could get some pics of the cars together while we're at it
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

I am totally down! Your photgraphy is amazing! I am almost done with the interior LED conversion. Exterior is next along with HIDS.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Teching In

Default Shifter Overlay

Hey I bought the same shifter indicator overlay for my Camaro, and experienced the problem you described about using it as an overlay and not seeing the orange indicator. I intend to change mine to your method. With the way you've placed it under the clear plastic with the graphics sanded off, did you use any adhesive on the "face" of the overlay to stick it to the underside of the plastic? Thanks for any help/guidance you may provide.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Had the same issue with 6le shifter overlay, used clear plastic off of a report cover and punched holes in overlay with paper hole punch, works just as yours and I kept the stock parts if I ever need to go back.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:32 AM
TECH Veteran

no adhesive. The shape of it fits perfectly and snug without any adhesive..
Old 07-18-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Senzo_Tanaka
Hey I bought the same shifter indicator overlay for my Camaro, and experienced the problem you described about using it as an overlay and not seeing the orange indicator. I intend to change mine to your method. With the way you've placed it under the clear plastic with the graphics sanded off, did you use any adhesive on the "face" of the overlay to stick it to the underside of the plastic? Thanks for any help/guidance you may provide.
Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Had the same issue with 6le shifter overlay, used clear plastic off of a report cover and punched holes in overlay with paper hole punch, works just as yours and I kept the stock parts if I ever need to go back.
Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
Bummer that you wrecked the car, Camaro guy!!.... but incase you or these other guys need it, I sell a kit for installing an after market shifter overlay. VERY simple to install too. It's all laser cut and plug and play.

PM for details and pics. Here's a video:

Old 07-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
Thanks for the info. That's makes me glad to know that I won't need to find an adhesive that will dry/settle clear between the front of the overlay and the stock plastic piece. Having watched that 6litereater tutorial for their product, he mentions you "can't scratch it off" for the silkscreen. But you mentioned sanding it off and from your pics it looks pretty good/smooth/translucent. What sandpaper grit(s) did you use for sanding the graphics off? Any polishing and/or techniques you'd recommend/used to make it so clear? I've already got the overlay, I just need to copy your process to get rid of that silkscreen graphic. Again, thanks for your time and advice.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sommer86
Bummer that you wrecked the car, Camaro guy!!.... but incase you or these other guys need it, I sell a kit for installing an after market shifter overlay. VERY simple to install too. It's all laser cut and plug and play.

PM for details and pics. Here's a video:

http://youtu.be/ozSIgFOTIkg
The kit you mention you're selling, do you have to cut it to the specs in your video, or would it already come cut and ready to install?

Quick Reply: Bought a Firebird. Gauge LEDs, shift indicator+shift boot, and Camaro AC knobs