Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Custom flip iphone stand ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Custom flip iphone stand ideas

Im trying to create a custom iphone stand, out of the ashtray lid in the center console. i would have to make the ashtray lid open about 130*s

Pretty much from this...

To this...

I would just run the iphone wire from the headunit, under the center console, around the shift boot, and probably clip it under the ahstray lid.

Anyone know the best way to do this? I was thinking about spot putty, but im opened to any suggestions or ideas.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking into doing this as well. My thoughts are to get an iphone docking unit and mold it into the ash tray area. If you mount it low enough you should still have room to close the lid. The docking units have the 30 pin connector out the back so if you run your wire from the head unit under the console you can then just plug it into the back of this unit. Where I am running into problems is how to mold the unit in and be strong enough so that it doesn't eventually crack from pushing the phone down onto the connector.

This is the unit I got

It is also available with the iphone 5 connector

The only problem with this unit is the phone cannot be in a case. You need a dock extender if you use a case and from what I have found adding the extender makes the phone unstable.

Last edited by 1FASTZ28; 05-07-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

This had been done and well documented on here a few times. Here's what I made for all of my iPhones...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...camaro-bird.html

Now I have a 5 and all I needed was the "30 pin to lightning" connector and my phone is fine. Not unstable or anything. It charges and plays everything.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1FASTZ28
I have been looking into doing this as well. My thoughts are to get an iphone docking unit and mold it into the ash tray area. If you mount it low enough you should still have room to close the lid. The docking units have the 30 pin connector out the back so if you run your wire from the head unit under the console you can then just plug it into the back of this unit. Where I am running into problems is how to mold the unit in and be strong enough so that it doesn't eventually crack from pushing the phone down onto the connector.

This is the unit I got

It is also available with the iphone 5 connector

The only problem with this unit is the phone cannot be in a case. You need a dock extender if you use a case and from what I have found adding the extender makes the phone unstable.
I was considering using a dock, but id like to be able to lift the iphone at any time. On a dock, it would just sit and wouldnt be able to lift without disconnecting.

Originally Posted by Sommer86
This had been done and well documented on here a few times. Here's what I made for all of my iPhones...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...camaro-bird.html

Now I have a 5 and all I needed was the "30 pin to lightning" connector and my phone is fine. Not unstable or anything. It charges and plays everything.
Thanks for the link, but i already have a headunit that plays and charges the phone. Im just trying to build a discreet place for the phone instead of having it upside down on the cup holder all the time.

This is kinda similar to what im trying to do, but instead of a slot, i want to make use of the ashtray lid instead.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...dio-bezel.html
Old 05-07-2013, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Thanks for the link, but i already have a headunit that plays and charges the phone. Im just trying to build a discreet place for the phone instead of having it upside down on the cup holder all the time.
I wasn't really trying to showcase the isimple, but the phone holder instead. It's a iphone cradle that I made that fits in front of the shifter. It lays sideways and let you see your songs in "cover flow". It clips in and doesn't move. And it's cheap to make.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sommer86
I wasn't really trying to showcase the isimple, but the phone holder instead. It's a iphone cradle that I made that fits in front of the shifter. It lays sideways and let you see your songs in "cover flow". It clips in and doesn't move. And it's cheap to make.
Ahh gotcha. Yeah that's what I'm going for, I'm just gonna try and make mine vertical and in front of the shifter. That way I can see it a bit better if I have my gps on.

Imma buy some spot putty today and see what I come up with

Quick Reply: Custom flip iphone stand ideas