Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what is a good wash mit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what is a good wash mit?

I've come to the realization the my wash mits are worn out and not doing a good job.

What is a good wash mit that I can get locally at OReillys or Auto Zone, etc. that does a good job, but won't scratch my black car?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black ttop
I've come to the realization the my wash mits are worn out and not doing a good job.

What is a good wash mit that I can get locally at OReillys or Auto Zone, etc. that does a good job, but won't scratch my black car?

Thanks!
You won't find a good one locally.

Check Detailed Image. They have "quality" ones. Ones that won't put swirls in your paint.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:19 AM
TECH Regular

What are you using to dry? I find that more important than the mitt if you have a good soap and clean water. Whats the point in a good mitt if you are using a beach towel to dry?
Old 05-08-2013, 01:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 94 White T/A
What are you using to dry? I find that more important than the mitt if you have a good soap and clean water. Whats the point in a good mitt if you are using a beach towel to dry?
Yes, towels are important as well, but not more important than the wash media....its about equal.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
Yes, towels are important as well, but not more important than the wash media....its about equal.
I worded that wrong, you are right, it is all about equal. I just noticed that people focus on the mitt than the drying towel, when they should be worried about both
Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't find one in a local store...
Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by egott_91
You won't find one in a local store...
using a sheep skin shami to dry.

meguirs car shampoo or dawn - soap

Where do I get a quality wash mit?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2013, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Don't use a chamois to dry, they have no nap so if anything falls on the paint or didn't get cleaned off prior to drying it will be dragged all across the paint. A good drying towel would be a Cobra Guzzler HD waffle weave towel or a nice size Waffle Weave Microfiber Towel.

Also never use dawn soap unless your trying to strip off wax, because that's what it will do. Use the meguiars soap or whatever brand you prefer. NEVER use dish soap to wash a car unless you are doing it prior to applying a new coat of wax to strip the surface
Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Griot's Garage 10268 Micro Fiber Wash Mitt ??
Old 05-10-2013, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Car Pro lambs wool was mitt is nice.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a foam cannon from whatever online detailer supplier you fancy, and then get a decent mitt from that same supplier or a local store. The cannon, or more accurately the foam it produces, will do most of the hard cleaning for you. Any mitt is going to cause swirls if you don't get the paint as clean as possible prior to running anything over it.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1again
Get a foam cannon from whatever online detailer supplier you fancy, and then get a decent mitt from that same supplier or a local store. The cannon, or more accurately the foam it produces, will do most of the hard cleaning for you. Any mitt is going to cause swirls if you don't get the paint as clean as possible prior to running anything over it.
Ahh no.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1again
Please don't share bad information.

1. A foam gun is more effective than a foam cannon. Yes a foam cannon looks cool but the foam sits on the car and doesn't run off pulling the dirt with it. The reason is a foam cannon by design uses less water than a foam gun.

2. Regardless if you are using a foam gun or cannon it doesn't do the "hard cleaning" for you. The only way to get all the dirt off is by agitation via some sort of wash mitt. You could spend an hour foaming your car but it's still going to be dirty. Some clear coats are more scratch resistant than others. If you have ever washed a black car with soft paint you will see what I'm talking about.

3. A good wash mitt is not only soft it holds the dirt inside the fibers to keep them from staying on the surface giving the dirt the chance to marr/scratch the finish.

4. Any time you touch your paint you run the risk of inducing marring, scratches/swirls so the softest mitt or MF towel you can use is best. If this wasn't the case the cheap MF towels you can buy at Auto Zone would be good enough. The fact is a cheap MF towel, drying towel or wash mitt can and will marr the paint.

5. The main benefit of using a foam gun is it adds extra lubrication to the paint instead of just water. If you are washing a really dirty panel its a good idea to use the foam gun in front of your wash mitt as you go to help add even more extra lubrication.

Is just using a good wash mitt enough to prevent marring? No. Good wash techniqes, two bucket method is a must and a foam gun all play an important part.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AWDTBSS
Don't use a chamois to dry, they have no nap so if anything falls on the paint or didn't get cleaned off prior to drying it will be dragged all across the paint. A good drying towel would be a Cobra Guzzler HD waffle weave towel or a nice size Waffle Weave Microfiber Towel.

Also never use dawn soap unless your trying to strip off wax, because that's what it will do. Use the meguiars soap or whatever brand you prefer. NEVER use dish soap to wash a car unless you are doing it prior to applying a new coat of wax to strip the surface
Agreed I did this before I learned about proper cleaning.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
You won't find a good one locally.

Check Detailed Image. They have "quality" ones. Ones that won't put swirls in your paint.

Originally Posted by black ttop
using a sheep skin shami to dry.

meguirs car shampoo or dawn - soap

Where do I get a quality wash mit?

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Ahh no.
+1

sigh.... Thank you Jason!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

I use the foam gun from Autogeek.net and i have a boar's hair brush along with a 5 gallon bucket and the grit guard. autogeek.net has all the good brands. I use all Pinnacle products on my Black SS and my charcoal grey GMC Sierra.

Quick Reply: what is a good wash mit?