Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fog lights

Hey I was wondering if anyone on here has tried installing the new PIAA LP530 LED Fog lights?

Has anyone seen if these lights have a good light output?

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/146-LP53...-Lamp-Kit.aspx

I know it is a lot of money but I think it would be a good mod without having to do too much work to make it look OEM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

a little pricey. id just use your stock housings and run 35w hids. they dont melt as bad as they would with 55w
Old 05-13-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

3 watt (thats what the site says) LED's aren't going to put out barely any light, that's like a typical small LED flashlight, to give you a frame of reference you need atleast a 7 watt LED to do your taillights if you go LED there. So I would not buy those, get a HIGH quality 880 LED bulb to go in the stock housing, please don't do HID's in the fogs, the light scatter of hid fogs WILL blind every other car on the road.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
the light scatter of hid fogs WILL blind every other car on the road.
highly disagree. too low to hurt anyone, so other drivers perspective arent affected. if it was a lifted silverado then sure, but my friend had it in his formy and now his camaro and it has never bothered me from through the rear view mirror or from the front. he does however look like a ball of light from a few blocks away though, but it doesnt blind anyone
Old 05-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadedbird
highly disagree
You can disagree with physics and optics all you want, but it won't make it any less true.

he does however look like a ball of light from a few blocks away though
That means that yes it is glaring.

but it doesnt blind anyone
Huh,..... re-read your previous sentence and my reply.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

I've had the same 3,000K, 55-watt HIDs in my my fog lights for over seven years now, and I've never had a problem with the housings melting. To avoid blinding oncoming drivers, I recommend that you tilt your fog light housings down slightly so that the light skims across the top of the road about 40 - 50 feet in front of you. This will clearly define the highway at night and in inclement weather, and will compliment your regular headlights nicely, without being offensive to oncoming traffic.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28RS
I've had the same 3,000K, 55-watt HIDs in my my fog lights for over seven years now, and I've never had a problem with the housings melting. To avoid blinding oncoming drivers, I recommend that you tilt your fog light housings down slightly so that the light skims across the top of the road about 40 - 50 feet in front of you. This will clearly define the highway at night and in inclement weather, and will compliment your regular headlights nicely, without being offensive to oncoming traffic.
yes this will also help

but what im saying VIP is that when you stare at a flashlight pointing directly at your face, its going to be more blinding then pointing it at your chest..

those fogs are maybe a foot from the ground. truckers wont even notice them

the BALL of light comment refers to them "washing out." its not blinding by any means because its out of focus.

physics is one thing, common sense is another
Old 05-13-2013, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

yes this will also help

but what im saying VIP is that when you stare at a flashlight pointing directly at your face, its going to be more blinding then pointing it at your chest..

those fogs are maybe a foot from the ground. truckers wont even notice them

the BALL of light comment refers to them "washing out." its not blinding by any means because its out of focus.

physics is one thing, common sense is another
If your HID's in the fogs aren't blinding people then you must have some really crappy DC slim ballasts, I'll get a picture tonight when I get home (I thought I had one but can't find it) of just how BRIGHT a GOOD HID ballast and bulb in the stock housing is compared to the stock light (I hooked it up to test the ballast for my low beam HID retrofit that I'm working on).
Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back on subject... I have Hella Micro DE fog lights on my camaro... I only had to very slightly bend the mounting bracket from my stock fogs to make them fit. They bolted right up, put in 35w HID bulbs from ddm tuning and couldn't be happier!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

stock fog on passenger side 6k HID on driver fog, now tell me that doesn't blind you, the outside pictures where done from my head height.
Attached Thumbnails Fog lights-img_20130513_225950_062.jpg   Fog lights-img_20130513_230043_151.jpg   Fog lights-img_20130513_230025_556.jpg   Fog lights-img_20130513_230100_604.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a pic w my low beam and micro de HID lights... Not totally head on, but close

Old 05-14-2013, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

@daniel your pics arent proving anything. a photo lens and a human eye are two completely different things haha

@frank looks great man
Old 05-14-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

@daniel your pics arent proving anything. a photo lens and a human eye are two completely different things haha

@frank looks great man
OK, but Human EYE was even worse then these pictures would show, the FACTS of HOW LIGHTS WORK are you can't do HID bulbs in HALOGEN reflectors without creating potentially blinding glare, now yes some housings aren't as bad as others and pointing down can help some, but after seeing just how bad the glare is from that fog, I personally will NEVER use it on the street where I KNOW it would blind oncoming drivers.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Jadedbird has made up his mind and wont believe anything else so lets not bother wasting any more time.

Back to the OP's question, has anyone used those LED fog lights or anything like them?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

im just arguing my point but obviously im wrong. OP its your car do as you will with it
Old 05-14-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VIP1
Jadedbird has made up his mind and wont believe anything else so lets not bother wasting any more time.

Back to the OP's question, has anyone used those LED fog lights or anything like them?
not tried any of those but I did have some 880 LED bulbs I got off Amazon that where some Chinese crap (the bulb in the passenger side housing in attached pic, HID in driver) there light output was well below that of the stock bulbs, which I didn't care because I was in look of a way to color match the HID's I plan to retrofit. The problem with them and why I took them out is if I messed up and left the fog lights on when I got out of the car then arming the alarm made them flicker and sometimes they would just get stuck flickering the next time I turned them on.
Attached Thumbnails Fog lights-3.jpg  
Old 05-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Unfortunately, the drop-in multi-element LEDs on the market won't work well in the stock fog light housings. They'll light up the housing, but the light won't emit outward in a proper beam pattern and not that far either.

Quick Reply: Fog lights