Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Picked up a PC 7424XP. What pads & product to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Picked up a PC 7424XP. What pads & product to use?

Going to attempt to remove the scratches, swirls & water spots myself. I got some of the water spots off by hand with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound so we're not that bad.

What pads and products should I go with?

I'd like to stick with Meguiar's if possible. Should I go with M105 or skip right to M205? Do I even need to go that far or maybe start with a less abrasive product?

When I polish & wax by hand, I use Klasse, Meguiar's NXT Wax & Meguiar's Ultimate Polish. So I will be using them with the buffer too. I'm just looking for suggestions/advice on what products I should use to get rid of the swirls, water spots & scratches.

Hopefully I don't destroy any paint w/the buffer.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

M105 and M205 both are good, it really depends on how bad your paint is. For pads I would go with microfiber pads, you will have a cutting one for m105 and polishing for m205. You shouldn't mess anything up with the paint.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

M105 and 205 dust WAY too much for my liking.

I recently tried Menzerna FG400 and its awesome. Cuts fast, doesn't dust, and finishes really well. I used it with an orange foam pad. I tried it out with my PC and with the Rupes. Worked well with both machines.

I'm not sure how bad the paint is on your car, but you may or may not need a heavy cut compound like FG400 or M105. However, you want to start with the least aggressive method and work your way up to see what works. No need to go more aggressive if its not needed. If the paint is thrashed then you can pretty much assume you'll need to go with a heavier cut compound.

Last edited by egott_91; 05-22-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

lake county 5.5 flat pads.

105/205 is good stuff and you really should get both for 3 step details. (cut, polish, finish) (wax or sealent)

i mainly use orange, white and gray. but have blue, red, yellow, etc.

your going to want at least 10 pads. they gum up, spent product, etc etc so you want to change them every 3 panels. or really get good at cleaning on the fly (while you buff) but even than you can only get the pad so clean before it needs pad cleaner and to be washed out.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by egott_91

I recently tried Menzerna FG400 and its awesome. Cuts fast, doesn't dust, and finishes really well. I used it with an orange foam pad. I tried it out with my PC and with the Rupes. Worked well with both machines.

I'm not sure how bad the paint is on your car, but you may or may not need a heavy cut compound like FG400 or M105. However, you want to start with the least aggressive method and work your way up to see what works. No need to go more aggressive if its not needed. If the paint is thrashed then you can pretty much assume you'll need to go with a heavier cut compound.
I don't think I need a heavy cut. I just have your normal swirls & scratches + the etched water spots. However, a did get a lot of the water psots out by hand with the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Plus the paint on these cars is notorious for being thin.

I just looked at the Meguiar's DA Correction System (1st time I knew this stuff existed) Now I'm wondering if I should use that correction system & finishing wax instead of going with the M205.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Im using all Adam's products, they work great!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the first question is what car? Some clears are harder than others. With that being said the guy above had some good advice. Start with the least aggressive combo you can. M105 cuts pretty quickly. If your just removing swirls and water spots m205 will do the job on most cars
Old 05-22-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

If you are just starting out I wouldn't jump to FG400 and MF pads. You can burn through paint with that combo even on a D/A.

I would pick up M105, M205 and some D300.

M105 can dust, priming the pad correctly will eliminate a lot of it. Also using a little D300 with the M105 will help even more. Keep your work times short and try to stick to about a 1' x 1' area. There's a little learning curve with it but its a great product.

M205 finishes down great on medium to hard paint but will leave marring on soft paint even using a black pad.

D300 is great. It's kinda in between M105 and M205. It doesn't have quite the cut as 105 but has a good working time. If you do decide to pick up some MF pads I would suggest starting out with D300.

For pads I would stick with the 5.5 flat pads as previously mentioned. Orange, white, black. LC tangerine pad is another good pad.

Remember to keep the pads clean, pad brush, compressed air and pushing the pad into a MF towel.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Also, if you haven't seen this thread you should go through it. It answers just about every question there is. There are a lot of good people in that thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-detailer.html
Old 05-23-2013, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

Ya I told him go either m105 or d300 with MF pads with a pad brush then 205 with foam if he wanted to use Meguiars products on corvette forum. But basically wat liljay said is spot on
Old 05-23-2013, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

You brought up a good point AWD that I didn't think to mention.

"Typically" MF pads are used for correcting/compounding and foam is used for polishing. Given there are exceptions to that, but starting out that seems to be the general rule.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by outkast6991
I think the first question is what car? Some clears are harder than others. With that being said the guy above had some good advice. Start with the least aggressive combo you can. M105 cuts pretty quickly. If your just removing swirls and water spots m205 will do the job on most cars
The MS6. The paint on them is notorious for being thin.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by egott_91

I agree with egott_91. You want to start with the least agressive first, and see where that gets you.

Also I only use Menzerna. One because of the hard clears of the Fbody's, but I also detail Corvetts a couple times a year. Menzerna doesn't dust much at all. But temp and humidity also play a big role. And never work in the sun. Also in a garage or shade. As far as pads. Everyone has their favorits but I swear by LC CCS pads.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Porter+cable+ls1tech
Old 05-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Teching In

I would go with the least abrasive pad and compound first and try a small area not so noticeable and see how that works. If not to the desired effect, move to the more abrasive pad and compound. I always start at the least, don't want to go more aggressive than needed in my opinion. Just my 2 cents! Good luck man.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Mike6802Hawks
I would go with the least abrasive pad and compound first and try a small area not so noticeable and see how that works. If not to the desired effect, move to the more abrasive pad and compound. I always start at the least, don't want to go more aggressive than needed in my opinion. Just my 2 cents! Good luck man.
Thanks. I'm going to start w/the M205 & if that doesn't work try the D300.

Quick Reply: Picked up a PC 7424XP. What pads & product to use?