Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Wheel adapters...need Pics and opinions!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel adapters...need Pics and opinions!!

Hey so I plan on getting some Hub/Wheel centric adapter for the rear. I cant stand how far in the wheels are sunk in.

My question is do I get 1" or 1.25"??!!

I dont want them to look goofy since I only have the stocker 16" wheels for now.

Any pics would be great
Thanks!
Old 06-15-2013, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do generic sizes when you can get exactly what you want!? Get custom! You can measure out how far you want to bring them out (in millimeters.. More precise) and get them made exactly that size. I got mine from Motorsport-tech.com, I'll post pics when I get home.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 1.25" to fit my T/A and 2007 C6's last week. Here's what I got and fit perfectly:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-1-25-inch-5x4-75-to-5-x-4-75-Hubcentric-Wheel-Spacers-Adapters-12x1-5/380654965642?_trksid=p3693.m2452&_trkparms=aid%3D333005%26algo%3DRIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D265%26meid%3D8401191589300049731%26pid%3D100102%26prg%3D1140%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D380654965642%26
Old 06-15-2013, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
Why do generic sizes when you can get exactly what you want!? Get custom! You can measure out how far you want to bring them out (in millimeters.. More precise) and get them made exactly that size. I got mine from Motorsport-tech.com, I'll post pics when I get home.
I think I will try out this site for my spacers. What I don't get is the $30 extra that is charged for selecting a different thickness if purchasing a set of 4 with two of them being different thicknesses. It's $90 for just two spacers, $180 for a set of 4 with the same thickness and $210 for a set of 4 with two different thicknesses. What's stopping me from ordering one set at $90, then ordering the next day another set for $90 if I need different thicknesses?
Old 06-15-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I think I will try out this site for my spacers. What I don't get is the $30 extra that is charged for selecting a different thickness if purchasing a set of 4 with two of them being different thicknesses. It's $90 for just two spacers, $180 for a set of 4 with the same thickness and $210 for a set of 4 with two different thicknesses. What's stopping me from ordering one set at $90, then ordering the next day another set for $90 if I need different thicknesses?
At the time I gave them a call to make sure I had everything figured out correctly, i feel like I remember them explaining to me the difference in ordering 2 vs 4, but I don't remember in the least bit what that explanation was. I'm sure they'd tell you if you asked.

I don't even remember what I paid at this point, but whatever it was, I'm happy with the product! With the wheel + hub centric design, everything went together with a nice snug fit, and you simply can't beat having them custom fit to your liking.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 02-22-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just my opinion obviously but stock sized rims/tires pushed out flush with the wheel well will honestly look ridiculous from the rear BUT here is a thread to help you out: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...-trans-am.html
Old 06-16-2013, 12:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
Just my opinion obviously but stock sized rims/tires pushed out flush with the wheel well will honestly look ridiculous from the rear
no more ridiculous than it currently looks from behind.. and you only really notice how thin they are until you're looking at them from a few car lengths behind the car. But 95% of the time you'll be looking at the car from fairly close-up, in which case they'll look considerably better than they do as-is (especially if the car is already lowered)... But yes, compared to some nice fat wheels, the stock 8" 255 tire combo does leave a lot to be desired..

for measuring what size spacer, all you need to do is: get some string, like 8-12" long, and tie something to one end as a weight. you can even use something simple like a binder clip at the end. hold the top of the string against the inner portion of your fender (or wherever you want the tire to come out to). measure the distance from the outermost part of the tire, to the string (in millimeters), and that'll tell you how big of a adapter or spacer you should get... of course you can decide how far you really want to push it with that. Personally I wish I had gone bigger with mine, and If I really liked my wheels and wanted to keep them forever I'd buy new adapters to get them set further out. but I want different rims, so there's no point in wasting money on a second pair of adapters as a temporary thing...

took these when I first got the adapters. at that time, I still had 8.5" wheels all around, the rears are now 10.5" DD of the same style.

Hub-centric = you can see how snug it fits around the hub
Wheel centric = the extended lip you see there will fit snugly inside the wheel

depending on the size of the adapters you use, the existing studs will most likely extend out passed the face of the adapter. depending on how far they extend, you may have to do something about that. Another factor is the wheels. Some wheels have a recessed area which allows for that excess length of the stud. This depth of this recessed area will vary. As you can see in the picture, the 8x8.5" C6Z replica wheels I have for the front, only had about a 1/4" recess, which was shorter than the overhang of the studs, which meant the wheels would not fit over top. In comparison, the stock 16" wheels had about a 1" recess, which would have allowed for them to fit perfectly over top.

that being said, I had to trim down my studs...

I used a multi-purpose tool with an oscillating saw head to cut just the tips of the studs, just enough for everything to fit together fine.
1st pic- shows where I cut
2nd pic- one cut vs one normal
3rd pic- all cut except for one

before/after cutting down the studs so the wheels will fit properly

wheel mounted.. I later painted the sides of the adapters black, so they are less visible (even though they really weren't visible before unless you were looking for them)

excuse my fu*ked up paint. lol

you could actually see the wheels poking out the sides after

current wheels are 295's... going with 315's next time

http://www.flickr.com/photos/la-rue/8076221417/http://www.flickr.com/photos/la-rue/8076221417/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/la-rue/, on Flickr

stockers mounted, with current adapters 27mm front, 15 rear. If i was buying adapters for these wheels specifically I'd have gone thicker.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 08-30-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wish that post above was here a week ago....

Anyways, is there to buy wheel centric over non wheel centric? I got the hub-centric only ones and I have vibration issues above 75 mph
Old 06-16-2013, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

that's the benefit of wheel+hub centric. everything fits together nice and snug, hub-to-adapter, adapter-to-wheel, which makes everything run smoother. and even though you may only notice it at higher speeds, it's still there at the lower speeds as well. Overtime that can end up causing issues.

and yes, I WISH there was a post with pics like I just posted at the time I was looking into this stuff. the whole damn forum seems to be so against the whole idea of them, because ill-fitting/ non-hub/wheel-centric spacers and adapters have given them a bad name. but it makes a huge difference when you buy the stuff that is custom made to fit your specific setup.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like it would have been easier to purchase some ARP-7708 extended studs, and just run the correct spacer as opposed to adapter. Having said that, the adapters look like great quality!

What method did you use to determine how thick you wanted the adapter?
Old 06-16-2013, 03:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Sure, I could have done that, but it wouldn't offer any real difference, and it would have been more expensive:
-buy the spacers
-buy new extended studs
-take the car to a machine shop, pay to get the old studs removed and the new studs pressed in.

of course if you're doing a small spacer you don't necessarily need extended studs, but for the sizes I got, you would.

also, it's just me, but I like adapters more. Once you bolt those to the hub it's like it becomes one piece, and then you bolt the wheels to that new surface, feels really secure. But with a spacer it's just like a shim sandwiched between everything.

check the top of post #7 for how I went about determining how thick to get them made

Last edited by crimson_bird; 02-22-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn man that was the most detailed post with pictures that I have seen in awhile good job. Your car looks great with those adapters!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

that was a great write up!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:07 PM
Launching!

To Crimson:
THANK YOU!! Ive seen the few other post with select pics about adapters but your single post alone was everything I was looking for, much appreciated!
Your lowered correct? If so how much and did you have to roll your fenders with the adapters??

Im not lowered but will be doing hose mod and koni lower front perch about the same time as spacers. Just dont want to have to roll fenders.

PS: your car has always been one of my personal favorites...Good job on one of the sickest cars ive seen fbody or not!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CO99Z28Vert
Just my opinion obviously but stock sized rims/tires pushed out flush with the wheel well will honestly look ridiculous from the rear BUT here is a thread to help you out: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...-trans-am.html

Yeah, I do think it will look a little goofy but better than how sunken in they are at the moment. Plan on getting new wheels next summer, so I plan on just rocking the adapters now with the stockers and hell, maybe with the 10.5's I get as well!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought some 1" adapters from a swap meet, need to get them machined out because they don't clear the hub and the lug nuts won't go all the way in. Once I have them machined out I will post pics
Old 06-17-2013, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

i got some 1" hub Centrics for sale in the classifieds. exactly what your looking for.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by stroked383HSR
i got some 1" hub Centrics for sale in the classifieds. exactly what your looking for.
Are they hub AND wheel centric? because thats what Im looking for. if so PM me a price
Old 06-17-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes they are.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by idle
I got 1.25" to fit my T/A and 2007 C6's last week. Here's what I got and fit perfectly:

2pc 1 25" inch 5x4 75 to 5 x 4 75 Hubcentric Wheel Spacers Adapters 12x1 5 | eBay
Hey do you have any pics of the 1.25 spacers? Havent found any pics of adapters tht large on our cars.

Quick Reply: Wheel adapters...need Pics and opinions!!