Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Flames out the exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flames out the exhuast

I was not sure where to post this. I have looked around the internet and cant find anyone with a good system for flames to come out the exhuast. I dont want to do it the way most poeple say by killing your ignition dumping fuel into the exhuast and letting it reignite out at the tailpipes with spark plugs. O ya you cant have cats. I want a propane, or alternive fuel, tank in the trunk with fuel lines running to the tailpipes and spark plugs to ignite the fuel or use whatever else to ignite the fuel. I want a activation swith in the cab. when activated like nitros when you floor it hits a switch that runs the fuel and ignites it at the tail pipes shooting flames out. will this work? will it mess up my paint? My tips are the center mount exhaust. I would think the exhaust would push it out far since its only on when floored. nay help would be fine...............good or bad about doing this
Old 04-28-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awful lot of money you talking there for something like that

I wouldn't have a clue on this, but why not just get some hand held lighters
Old 04-28-2004, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know if its worth it, ur probably going to melt ur bumper or something, its going to cost alot, and for the type of flame is going to produce it would look fake. Just my .02
Old 04-28-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a system made for this I want to say maybe 3 years ago or so. It was called The Flame Thrower if I remember correctly. Used spark plugs and a fuel source. Do a search on Google or something.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

yeah you can find em if you just do a search on google I was going to do it to the scout i use to have.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

u use propane tanks, two soleniods for each line run (one as a safety) and they used some coil pack wires i think to the plugs...do a search...sorry thats all i remember. they did it on hot rod TV one show a while back.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you get a rainbow sticker for the bumper, if you're gonna be a flamer...

Old 04-29-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crainholio
Make sure you get a rainbow sticker for the bumper, if you're gonna be a flamer...

i am not being rude or anything... but that reminds me of something off the fast and the furious.... don't spend your money on that
Old 04-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Launching!

With the time, energy, and money spent on one of those flame systems, you could throw a unit on your vehicle and actually BE fast rather than LOOK fast. Just my .02
Old 04-29-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS GIRL
i am not being rude or anything... but that reminds me of something off the fast and the furious.... don't spend your money on that
You of all people should talk.

"Catz"
Old 04-29-2004, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is not your usual mod dude. post up asking about it and you should almost expect atleast somewhat of a flame war.

I honestly don't see the purpose in this, but to each his own ideas of what is cool and uncool. However, you are attempting to create fire near a vehicle with flamable substances, id make sure i spend allotta time and money on this project to make sure it assures the safety of myself, the people around me, and the car as well.
but why not spend that money on heads, wheels, tires...power adder, a new beater car...etc...u know why not spend the money it would take to do this, on something better....which would probably be just about anything imo.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

i thought(never tryed) you can drill a hole alittle in from the tips and put a spark plug in there. wire that to a switch that would spark it and the fumes or what not would light it? would that even work?
Old 04-29-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by crazymofo1986
i thought(never tryed) you can drill a hole alittle in from the tips and put a spark plug in there. wire that to a switch that would spark it and the fumes or what not would light it? would that even work?
You'd have to be running awefully rich to have the fumes ignite it (exhaust gas is nonflammable, only when fuel particles from incomplete burns are in the exhaust stream would it ignite)

I believe what the old schoolers do is just hit the choke and rev ... since it's carbed this tosses a ton of gasoline into the combustion chamber and it's pushed out into the exhaust... this gas in the exhaust is then what ignites from the spark plug

Not quite as easy w/an EFI car though ...
Old 04-29-2004, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.flamethrowers.com/home.htm
Old 04-29-2004, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

www.gotflames.net

they got a good setup and cheap.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You need parts from a nitrous kit.

An NOS fuel nozzle mounted upstream in the exhaust. An NOS fuel solenoid. All of this tied into one of your fuel lines.

Then, you need a spark plug mounted downstream in each tailpipe. The separation between fuel and fire allows the fuel to mix into the exhaust stream before being ignited. Each plug needs to be connected to a coil. You should probably run 2 switches. One to turn on the fuel, then one to fire the coils a second later. You also may have to flip the coil switch on and off a time or two to get ignition. If you use one switch, the coils will fire once, well before fuel goes into your exhaust stream.
If I am not mistaken, I think that O2 bungs will mount spark plugs. They should be a few inches into the exhaust, not too close to the tip.

The old way of doing this will not work on cars with FI and cats. Even if you could get the FI to load up on fuel, the cats would kill themselves trying to neutralize it. Not to mention that raw fuel is passing through your cylinders with the old method... washing out your rings, bearings, plugs, and fueling up your crankcase... very bad for your engine.

Also, ground and insulate everything well... a friend did this in high school, only problem was that the entire car was energized when the system was on. If you were touching any metal on the car, it was pretty brutal.
Dave
Old 04-30-2004, 06:02 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Ratio is right. He has posted the correct way to do this.

Use a 3 way fuel filter, and run a third line into nitrous solonoids. The safe way to do this is to mount 2 nitrous solonoids in line, making a totoal of 4. (two exhaust tips) Your screwed if one gets stuck open. Having two switches is a good idea.

98 SnakeEater (his handle on the boards) has used this setup before with good results. It really isn't somehting just any dub can go out and do. You also won't find anyone to do it for you! When all is said and done, you'll be into this for more than it's worth. A lot of it is trial and error, and figuring out the best way to mount and hide everything. Running wires, switches, fuel lines. If it were my car, I would like to be able to take out the system without ever leaving a trace of it being there.

It takes a little bit of thought to get it all done. Unless your really serious about it, I wouldn't bother doing all this.

I will be rigging up a system for my buddies EVO at work. He's got a 3" catless exhaust, so with the Turbo spooling up, this thing should shoot a good flame. I'll post pics when all is said and done. We're just waiting for parts.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

why out the exhaust, I was thinking about this before, setup some metal pipes and have two blasts of fire right out of the hood's "nostrils" now THAT would be KICK@$$$$$$ just think......

a firebreathing, firebird...oh yea i like that!
Old 05-01-2004, 01:09 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by darkecho
why out the exhaust, I was thinking about this before, setup some metal pipes and have two blasts of fire right out of the hood's "nostrils" now THAT would be KICK@$$$$$$ just think......

a firebreathing, firebird...oh yea i like that!
'

Too bad you'd have a melted bumper

The system would have to be used 4000k or above to have enough oomph to clear the rear bumper.

Common sense?

The coolest part about the system would be using it at WOT on the highway, people's jaws drop.

Last edited by BAD ASS TA WS6; 05-01-2004 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Flames out the exhuast