Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Window tinting

Old 07-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window tinting

Hey all. I purchased a Groupon a few weeks back for Window tinting and it seems that the shop only carries 5,15,and 35 percent tint. I do not want 5 as its to dark, but would 15 be to dark at night time? I also think that 15 in the rear and 35 in the front would look weird wouldn't it? I wouldn't mind getting 15 all around if it's not too bad. Just seeing what your guys opinion is.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Id do 15 all around my 5 is way to dark at night
Old 07-18-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

100% personal preference. One mans dark is another mans light. And it's hard to describe the difference you get appearance wise when it comes to using a combination of tint levels on the different windows, they all play off of each other. The same 35% on the hatch looks darker if yiu have 5 on the sides as opposed to 35 on the sides. 35 on the sides of a hardtop car looks darker than 35 on the sides of a t-top car which allows more light in. Lots of variables.

As far as driving at night, the only downsides I personally see are

1) it's practically impossible to back up into a parking spot or parallel park at night if you have dark tint on the sides, as they hinder your ability to see through the side mirrors properly. You're rear view mirror also becomes worthless at night when you have dark tint. So rolling down the windows to park becomes a necessity so that you can use the side mirrors and also physically look out the window to see how much room you have behind you. You probably be dealing with this with anything passed 35

2) the higher chance of being pulled over, depending on where you live and the way police typically respond to it.. I drive with my windows down all day to try to avoid this.. Can't roll down a tinted windshield though lol

Go to the shop and get the hatch done first. After that ask them to hold up a couple shades to the side windows to try to get a feel for them.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends mostly on where you live. I don't have much trouble with my 5% tints around the city but when I go into the suburbs, it's too dark and I have to roll the windows down sometimes.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like it was stated, this is all opinion and preference.

If it were my car, I'd go 15% all the way around. Factory tint on SUV's is about 20%, so that gives you an idea. I had 35% on the front sides of my last car (W-body) and 17% on the quarter and rear windows, and I wish I had just done 17% all the way around. The front windows were too light for my liking.

When I do tint the Camaro, I will be doing 15% all the way around and something like 50% on the windshield. It's a 'vert though, and not my DD, so I am not really too concerned with tickets or poor visibility.

FWIW, I didn't find the 35%/17% difficult at all at night. It was my DD and I put about 100k miles on it while tinted. I live in MI, so I drove in every weather extreme possible.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Thanks all. I'll try to take some before and after pictures on Saturday.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got 5% in the rear. Sometimes its too hard to see, but not impossible either. It looks good and helps with the heat a bit more. Plus you can always add brighter reverse lights to help out a bit. 5% is well worth it imo. On the sides i had 15% before cops made me take it off. It was ok but sometimes it felt like i shouldve gotten darker.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:49 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 95badboy
Id do 15 all around my 5 is way to dark at night
My Formula is 5% all the way around, and I have no complaints. At night, if I have a hard time seeing, I just roll down the window a little bit and I'm fine. It's totally not legal here, but I don't care.

Last edited by DrEvyl; 07-18-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 PM
Launching!

I've got 20% on the doors and 5% on the hatch. I think it looks awesome. I can see out of my doors at night and for the most part can still see out the hatch. For some reason I think tint should sorta fade with each window as it gets closer to the windshield. If that makes any sense. 35% is too light for me, I had it replaced with the 20% on there now. If I could do it again I might entertain 5% all the way around. But I'd have to be able to ride in a car with 5% all the way before I did that.

I'd go 15% in the front for sure. Then either 15 or 5% on the hatch. Or if your brave 5% all the way around would probably look good.

BTW 20% matches the factory tint on my t-tops from the inside. If that can help you get an idea on how it is at night.

Last edited by The Outlaw Kid; 07-19-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

The lower the number the darker the tint. 15 is dark 5 is super dark. Also makes a difference if the interior is light or dark and if you dd in the rain & at night, make a quick turn and moe someone down. That's a bad day and it does happen. A sunny day is fine, a rainy night where you can't see is a pitch. Have the guy who is going to do it show you a few cars before. 35 sides/15 or 20 rear to me is fine but its personal taste.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Monte I have 20% on the back 3 windows and 35% on the doors. To light for my liking and I recall when I was making my appointment for the tint everyone said go darker than you plan on.

I just recently got my ladies windows tinted and I told her go darker than what you think you want. She went 18% all around on her GP GXP...she wants it darker but likes it.

My Camaro will get either 5% all around or 5% on the rear window and ttops then 18% on the doors.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Also, factor in the weather. i have 25% on the sides and 35% on the back with a brow up front, and in cloudy weather, visibility INTO the car is non-existent. You can see out just fine, but hardly your silhouette is visible from outside.

In sunny weather, it is appropriate enough that it keeps out the harshness of the sun, but cops and others who think being able to see in your car can still get their jollies off by looking in.

It's hard as **** to look out the back window unless you're in a vert, so I think arguing read view visibility as kind of moot.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Teching In

I ended up getting 15% all the way around and I must say it looks good. I had no problems seeing out last night.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AFguy247
I ended up getting 15% all the way around and I must say it looks good. I had no problems seeing out last night.
looks good! seeing out shouldn't be a problem. seeing behind you when backing up is the only difficulty at times.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window tinting