Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

AIR + Fuel Rail Covers +Other Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AIR + Fuel Rail Covers +Other Stuff

So I just got my order from Afterthoughts Auto and I was very impressed with their products. The main reason I'm posting is because I am having a problem with getting their fuel rail covers to fit but I also thought I would share some pictures of the apperance mods I chose to do.

New fuel rail covers:

Going with headers soon so I used the relective tape to keep the heat off my covers

Badging covers (Sorry for the shitty pics):

The vinyl badge covers were very easy to apply. I messed up a little on the bird on the bumper but not that noticable.

So that brings me to my issue...you notice I don' t have a picture of the fuel rail covers on my car because I couldn't get the passenger side to fit. What I believe to be the AIR system is blocking me from putting the cover in place. I circled in red below what was blocking me...are these covers not compatible if the car has an AIR system?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had same issue with mine. I decided to hold off and just remove the AIR and get a tune so i don't get service engine soon light. I scratched mine up pretty good trying to get them to fit in there. the big wire harness behind the passenger valve cover is kinda n the way as well.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I know its not a very good option but can you cut and repaint? I used the Holden Fuel Rail covers on mine. These are kind of old pics but the same fuel fail covers are still on there.

http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/16285801

http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/16285800

http://www.cardomain.com/gallery/16285799
Old 07-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Launching!

I'm glad I gave up pretty quick then. I thought maybe it was just my car but it makes me feel better that I'm not the only person with the problem. I'm putting on headers soon so I may wait until then and remove the entire AIR system. I think I can work with the harness but without cutting there is no way the cover would fit over the AIR pipe. I would rather not cut considering how much I had to pay for them.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

yup, had the same problem myself. I went ahead and cut it (a bit too much lol) to get it to fit in there, which didn't bother me since I knew I was going to be doing my own job of smoothing and painting them still. In your case, I'd definitely just hold out on installing them since you're okay with removing it.

did you have afterthoughtsauto do the paint job and all? they look damn good!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
yup, had the same problem myself. I went ahead and cut it (a bit too much lol) to get it to fit in there, which didn't bother me since I knew I was going to be doing my own job of smoothing and painting them still. In your case, I'd definitely just hold out on installing them since you're okay with removing it.

did you have afterthoughtsauto do the paint job and all? they look damn good!
Afterthought did everything, took about a month to get my order but they did a great job. From what I've read the AIR system doesn't sound very important so I'm not worried about losing it. I'll be glad to get rid of those damn ugly hoses. How much did you have to cut to get the cover to fit?

Unfortunately I will never be happy with my engine bay until it gets painted...that's going to be a bitch.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

No need to cut.....just unbolt the AIR from the exhaust manifold. Move some wires out the way (throttle cable) and slowly fit it on. it will take some bending but you will get it on there. You may need to buy a AIR gasket, only $1.50 at Chevy dealer. Maybe a little hard to put AIR back on but i used a 3/8" wobble extension to tighten the bolts down.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To make them fit (and look better) you could get rid of those ugly F-Body fuel lines and and order some C5 Corvette braided fuel lines for the driver side, I don't believe they cost that much on the auction site. I would wait until you install headers to mess with them though so you'll have the AIR system out of the way. Also with the AIR out of the way I don't believe you would have had to cut the back of the driver side fuel rail cover.

Quick Reply: AIR + Fuel Rail Covers +Other Stuff