Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Bolt-in shorty antenna SOLUTION for Firebird/Formula/TransAm owners.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bolt-in shorty antenna SOLUTION for Firebird/Formula/TransAm owners.

Did alot of research on converting my Trans Am from power to non-power antenna. All the diagrams I saw online showed the old style with the nut and washer that goes on top, like this:

Those parts are INCORRECT and requires you to buy more parts than you need! The correct bracket doesn't need to be drilled like I see alot of people say it needs to. The bracket I saw in the older threads is overall LONGER than the stock power antenna assembly (Hence the need for drilling it to bolt it in). This correct bracket is the same length as the power antenna assembly, and is why it's bolt-in. I believe the Camaro non-power antenna bracket is longer than the firebird ones, I just wanted to post this to show firebird owners that there is one made for our cars that's bolt in.

The correct part number for TA/Firebird/Formula owners is 10425535. Googling this number comes up with nothing, and leads me to believe it's either a new part, and/or it supercedes the older brackets.

Here's pics of my install. The top of the bracket is rounded where it goes inside the rubber on the fender, which means it's held on the same way the factory power antenna one is. I didn't get a pic of this, but if people want I will pull it out and put it next to my factory power antenna assembly so you can see it's the same length and fits inside the rubber bushing in the fender just like stock.

Here's pics of mine installed.

This is the diagram I got from my dealer. It's the same diagram for Firebirds and Camaro's, but the part number for the brackets themselves are different between the two cars. And like I said, the Camaro bracket is discontinued. Also note in this picture how there's to nuts or washers, it's just the mast (1), Rubber bushing (2), and antenna bracket (3). See how the top of #3 is just expanded so it sits tight in #2, that's what I was talking about earlier.

I hope this helps anyone who wants to convert from power antenna to non-power. All you need is this bracket, and a screw on antenna of your choise and you're done!

Now for you Camaro guys, did Camaro's have power antenna? I called for the part number for Camaro's, but it's discontinued.

Chris,

Last edited by ChrisSingh90; 08-23-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, mine broke and it always stays down now I don't really use the radio anymore but I like the look of the shorty antennas and I hated the way the super long antenna looked.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:28 AM
TECH Addict

my factory power is shot, I banged it down and just use my android tablet for all my music, new music sucks and radio reception isn't that good in the mountains even with a good antenna (54 miles birds eye to Chattanooga and 63 miles birds eye to Atlanta) plan is to remove the antenna completely when I get to the body repair/body mod stage of the car.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisSingh90
Now for you Camaro guys, did Camaro's have power antenna?
Not from the factory, no. I converted my old 99 using one from a Trans Am. Bolted right in place with no problems.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris.. do you have the correct part numbers.. and do you mind If I link to this thread.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

On my car I pushed the antenna down until it was the height I wanted, then unplugged it. Free and works/looks almost exactly the same.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BitViper
Chris.. do you have the correct part numbers.. and do you mind If I link to this thread.

Yes the numbers are listed in the first post, but here it is again anyways .

10425535 This is for 98-02 Firebird/transam/formula cars only! Once again it's bolt-in. The Camaro bracket is discontinued according to the dealer.

And no I don't mind at all if you link to this thread. Thanks!

Chris,
Old 09-25-2013, 04:52 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the write up I just ordered the bracket for my car loved my power antenna but it just broke and this was the cheaper fix that will be maintenance free in the future.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Did alot of research on converting my Trans Am from power to non-power antenna. All the diagrams I saw online showed the old style with the nut and washer that goes on top, like this:

Those parts are INCORRECT and requires you to buy more parts than you need! The correct bracket doesn't need to be drilled like I see alot of people say it needs to. The bracket I saw in the older threads is overall LONGER than the stock power antenna assembly (Hence the need for drilling it to bolt it in). This correct bracket is the same length as the power antenna assembly, and is why it's bolt-in. I believe the Camaro non-power antenna bracket is longer than the firebird ones, I just wanted to post this to show firebird owners that there is one made for our cars that's bolt in.

The correct part number for TA/Firebird/Formula owners is 10425535. Googling this number comes up with nothing, and leads me to believe it's either a new part, and/or it supercedes the older brackets.

Here's pics of my install. The top of the bracket is rounded where it goes inside the rubber on the fender, which means it's held on the same way the factory power antenna one is. I didn't get a pic of this, but if people want I will pull it out and put it next to my factory power antenna assembly so you can see it's the same length and fits inside the rubber bushing in the fender just like stock.

Here's pics of mine installed.

This is the diagram I got from my dealer. It's the same diagram for Firebirds and Camaro's, but the part number for the brackets themselves are different between the two cars. And like I said, the Camaro bracket is discontinued. Also note in this picture how there's to nuts or washers, it's just the mast (1), Rubber bushing (2), and antenna bracket (3). See how the top of #3 is just expanded so it sits tight in #2, that's what I was talking about earlier.

I hope this helps anyone who wants to convert from power antenna to non-power. All you need is this bracket, and a screw on antenna of your choise and you're done!

Now for you Camaro guys, did Camaro's have power antenna? I called for the part number for Camaro's, but it's discontinued.

Chris,
I just did this mod 2 weeks ago and yes the Camaro bracket is longer. So you have to drill the hole for the bolt on the bracket higher. This is a great mod and looks 10 times better than the stock one. I got my antenna of Ebay. It is 3 inches high and is black.Functions great/
Old 09-25-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ws6man29
I just did this mod 2 weeks ago and yes the Camaro bracket is longer. So you have to drill the hole for the bolt on the bracket higher. This is a great mod and looks 10 times better than the stock one. I got my antenna of Ebay. It is 3 inches high and is black.Functions great/
Do you have a pic of it installed? I'm wanting to get rid of my power antenna as well on my white bird for a fixed low profile antenna. I hate the RC car look when my radio is on.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

damn.. think I've been accidentally giving folks the wrong info on my setup. I know at one point in time I had gotten an antenna base from a 4th gen camaro (not sure of year) at the junk yard, but like you said it was longer than necessary. it'll work with little effort, but not the proper fit.

eventually i found another one back at the junk yard... I was almost certain I got this second one from another camaro, and it fit properly, but perhaps I may have pulled it from a 93-97 firebird instead. Not sure honestly, that was forever ago, and i wasn't looking for it when i found it, just happened to see it when browsing through the fbodys they had

but, I know it was from a 4th gen car and it fit perfectly, just like yours in the pic. I'll get the part number from the one i have in the morning

Old 10-01-2013, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
damn.. think I've been accidentally giving folks the wrong info on my setup. I know at one point in time I had gotten an antenna base from a 4th gen camaro (not sure of year) at the junk yard, but like you said it was longer than necessary. it'll work with little effort, but not the proper fit.

eventually i found another one back at the junk yard... I was almost certain I got this second one from another camaro, and it fit properly, but perhaps I may have pulled it from a 93-97 firebird instead. Not sure honestly, that was forever ago, and i wasn't looking for it when i found it, just happened to see it when browsing through the fbodys they had

but, I know it was from a 4th gen car and it fit perfectly, just like yours in the pic. I'll get the part number from the one i have in the morning

I pulled my from a 98 Camaro and it was longer so I lined up the whole and drilled a new hole and slapped in the new bolt.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

the part number from the one I have is 10282649

googled that part number and an old ls1tech thread came up, looks like Bitviper had the same one as I do

Originally Posted by BitViper
Here's the numbers for the stock set up from GM
Fixed mast--10425536 -- stock antenna
Bezel-------10298264 / 10253391
Bracket-----10282649
Attach bolt-11515756 - not needed
not sure what kind of car or year he has though.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Funny how we want each others stuff. I want my Camaro to have a power ant. (HaHa) T/A owners, Is the power ant that much of a pain in the ***?
Old 10-01-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DaRReLL
Funny how we want each others stuff. I want my Camaro to have a power ant. (HaHa) T/A owners, Is the power ant that much of a pain in the ***?
For me it's not. It's quite convenient actually. I just hate how it makes my car look like an rc car when it's up because it's so tall.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:11 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

My crooked dealershit wants $37 for that bracket. I can get it shipped online for less than $30
Old 10-02-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm doing this for weight savings. What are you guys using for an antenna? Shorter the better.

Gm parts direct has them for 28 shipped.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:18 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Yes, Please link the antenna you are using with that bracket
Old 12-13-2013, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ws6man29
Haven't checked this thread in a while!. Anyways, no I didn't have to drill the hole. That's the whole point of using the bracket with the part number I provided. This bracket was made for 93-02 Firebird/formulas/transam etc. It uses the same robber grommet on the quarter panel that the power antenna does. Literally you buy this bracket, bolt it in, and screw in your new antenna. No extra nuts, washers, or drilling required.

Here's the BitViper antenna I'm using with my car for those who wanted pics. And yes I agree our cars look like RC cars when they radio is on, I HATE the look. My car is at the body shop having the sail panel replaced, and antenna hole deleted right now though

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
the part number from the one I have is 10282649

googled that part number and an old ls1tech thread came up, looks like Bitviper had the same one as I do

not sure what kind of car or year he has though.
The only thing I can think of it yours and BitViper's are the older styles that might be the correct length, but require the nut and washer at the top to hold it in along with the different bushing on the quarter panel? Does yours look like mine where the antenna screws in?

Chris,

Last edited by ChrisSingh90; 12-13-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Only thing keeping me from buy a bit viper is every pic I see of them they appear to be slightly bent, including that one^^

Quick Reply: Bolt-in shorty antenna SOLUTION for Firebird/Formula/TransAm owners.