Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Over spray & clay bars...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Over spray & clay bars...

Car was painted & buffed. Looked beautiful. Thanks to the factory putting blobs of seam sealer between the quarter/trunk extension I had some bubbles appear shortly after it was painted. My body guy cut it apart and replaced the lower quarters/trunk extensions & repainted the rear of the car. When I got the car home I was cleaning it from the 1400 mile road trip and noticed tat there was what appeared to be over spray on the door. Wondering if just a clay bar will remove it? I am a newby when it comes to paint repair & do not want to do anything that is going to trash the paint....From my understanding when it comes to paint repair it is best to start with the least aggressive methods first. So are all clay bars created equal?

Over spray & clay bars...-cimg0994-medium-.jpg

It is not visible in the picture but the over spray is on the section of the door just below the window, the piece parallel to the ground...
Old 09-16-2013, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lsdart
Car was painted & buffed. Looked beautiful. Thanks to the factory putting blobs of seam sealer between the quarter/trunk extension I had some bubbles appear shortly after it was painted. My body guy cut it apart and replaced the lower quarters/trunk extensions & repainted the rear of the car. When I got the car home I was cleaning it from the 1400 mile road trip and noticed tat there was what appeared to be over spray on the door. Wondering if just a clay bar will remove it? I am a newby when it comes to paint repair & do not want to do anything that is going to trash the paint....From my understanding when it comes to paint repair it is best to start with the least aggressive methods first. So are all clay bars created equal?

Attachment 417974

It is not visible in the picture but the over spray is on the section of the door just below the window, the piece parallel to the ground...
Clay bar first with water or Meguiar's detail spray. Do one panel at a time and do it several times. If that does not work use light sand paper 2000 grit and sand off affected areas. You will have to buff it with compound to bring back the finish. Then use swirl remover and wax!!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Claybar should work well for that. Watch a few instructional videos on youtube how to use it.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ws6man29
Clay bar first with water or Meguiar's detail spray. Do one panel at a time and do it several times. If that does not work use light sand paper 2000 grit and sand off affected areas. You will have to buff it with compound to bring back the finish. Then use swirl remover and wax!!
Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Claybar should work well for that. Watch a few instructional videos on youtube how to use it.
Thanks Guys....going to drag the car out of its hole before winter sets in and give it a good cleaning before winter settles in here in the Pacific North West...
Old 09-16-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Clay bar works good. Also this sounds crazy, but wipe it of with a bit of lacquer thinner on a clean white lint free rag. As long as its a base/clear and its baked on the lacquer thinner will not hurt it at all.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

any results OP? Ive found claybars work for many different things, and they're a nice cleaning tool to keep handy.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ws6man29
I would recommend against anyone not familiar with paint correction to attempt wet sanding. If it's just overspray he needs to get off there should be no need to wet sand anyway.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Latch
I would recommend against anyone not familiar with paint correction to attempt wet sanding. If it's just overspray he needs to get off there should be no need to wet sand anyway.

Quick Reply: Over spray & clay bars...