Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ok, I'm a noob to appearance mods. What should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 05:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ok, I'm a noob to appearance mods. What should I do?

My car is a Sebring Silver 2002 Camaro.

Current appearance mods are as follows:
17x9 and 17x11 Black ZR1 (GS) wheels w/ machined lip
Clear corner lenses, clear rear corner lenses (on the rear fender)
Painted head light mod (black)

Future or in process appearance mods:
Dark (5%) tinted windows
Black GS hash stripe
Painted LS6 intake and valve covers (Gloss black)
Hidden wire mod (drilled hole, not cutting wires)
Black "Berger" panel
Painted calipers

Does this sound like a good plan to you? What else would you do, or what would you do differently? I currently have the !grille mod, and am undecided how I want to deal with this. I am leaning toward filling in the existing grill holes and installing "gutter guard" in the holes. Every once in a while, I think about a WW grille insert painted black, or a Stull type billet grille, whatcha think?

Thanks, Shawn
Old 05-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Motorboater

some pics would help. your description is good but its so much easier to suggest things when looking at the car.

well first i'd say how about hood and spoiler. my fav spoiler is the good old SS spoiler.

hoods..there's that sweet raised SS hood, the 4" cowl like I have, ultra Z hoods all kinds of stuff.

maybe polish those calipers and just paint the bracket only..that would look pimpin with black wheels on silver car.

on that intake manifold..i'd match it to the car in silver metallic instead of black. black on the valve covers is an easy way to make them nicer though, go with that.

there's a start, who's next
Old 05-03-2004, 05:52 PM
Motorboater

oh on the grill..i'd fill the holes..that's what i had hacker do when he painted the car.

some of those billet grills are pretty nice,too, just not my particular cup of tea
Old 05-03-2004, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also paint the headlight plastic molding on the engine side (silver). Also paint that plastic piece that's in front of the windshield resovour (spelling) Black. There's a few to get you started
Old 05-03-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

custom airlid and frc's!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sound's like a good list.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Polish the A/C canaster with mother billet polish (very cheap bling). You can also polish the A/C lines too
Old 05-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Fiery Features Director

A picture of the car would definately help out a great deal. Do you plan on doing any modifications to the interior? Maybe a two tone leather or embroidered seats? You can also paint the trim pieces (but don't go with a real loud color). Clean the engine bay and hide as many wires as possible. If you really want to make the car show quality, have some braided lines made. You can also get a nice set of custom frc's. Drilled/slotted rotors and some painted calipers would really set the wheels off nicely. Instead of using all black, definately want to add some color to the engine bay. Pick a color that matches the car and maybe add some black decals to the frc's. Don't use too much of the same color though (because then it will be over load).
Old 05-04-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

SilverGhost- I have a 4" Glasstek hood that was on the car previously, but I am going to use it on my 2000. I liked the look of it, but it fit like crap, and was too big for a non-drag car IMO. Polished calipers are a possibility, but how hard is it to maintain the polished look? You polish them right, how much for you to do mine? As far as the intake, I'm not too keen on the "look at me" factor when intakes are brightly colored, too much like something was spray painted just because it came off. (Unless it follows a theme, like on your car, or something with a unique color, or an accent color). I am leaning toward filling the gril holes and installing the mesh in the two large holes.

Kens_02SS- Good ideas, those are the type of easy, subtle things I'm looking to do. Nothing really wild, just little touches that make it a nice car.

travisnd- FRCs are a good idea, I'll look into those. I generally don't like airlid decals/designs though. I really don't want to start polishing stuff, I'm a modaholic, and once I start....

Zangel: Too chap to do any interior mods, and don't like painted interiors too much. I do like CF interiors, though, so thats an idea. I had thought about slotted/drilled rotors.

Thanks for the ideas,keep 'em coming.

Thanks again, Shawn
Old 05-04-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem Shawn, how about a ported and polished TB by one of the sponsors, that's pretty cheap and blingish

Battery cover in black or silver

chrome bowtie body bolts are the going rave now too

your on the right track with the !wire mod too. The cut the hole though the sheet metal is that best way (did mine like that)

I've got a Silver SS, if you want some more ideas drop me a PM and i'll email ya my engine pic, it's no where near Steve's car but with time i'll be getting there
Old 05-05-2004, 06:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kens_02SS
No problem Shawn, how about a ported and polished TB by one of the sponsors, that's pretty cheap and blingish

Battery cover in black or silver

chrome bowtie body bolts are the going rave now too

your on the right track with the !wire mod too. The cut the hole though the sheet metal is that best way (did mine like that)

I've got a Silver SS, if you want some more ideas drop me a PM and i'll email ya my engine pic, it's no where near Steve's car but with time i'll be getting there
Sure, please email it to me at: dragracerls1@aol.com

Thanks, Shawn
Old 05-05-2004, 10:16 AM
Motorboater

If you want some things show polished just shoot me a P.M and we'll talk, I can do lotsa neat stuff

I'm not done with my engine bay yet because I keep getting friggin sidetracked with stuff like broken 9" rearends and tuning problems but its getting there.

I find it best to pick a "theme" in the engine bay. In my case..everythign is either silver, black or show polished..so that's my "theme".

To give you and idea..my LsX intake is metallic silver and clearcoated..I sanded it smooth first(no rasied FAST letters anymore)..my valve covers, MAF, and TB are show polished(by me), the coil pack brackets are silver with clearcoat..the coil packs themselves are goign to be done in a nice gloss black with clearcoat. I will be hiding the wires on the passenger side.. Brake resevoir and radiator caps are metallic silver with clearcoat.

My radiator shroud and lid I re did in gloss black with cloearcoat. When the motor was out I re did the whole engine bay including firewall in metallic silver to match the car. I got rid of the factory coolant overflow and made my own custom hidden setup, much cleaner.

The bracket that holds on the front bumper is silver..

Gives ya an idea..pick themes..

I did it in my interior,too. Everyting is either gray or black.
I do have a halfway decent interior pic that lacks guages..those are added now, two guages custom done on a panel that replaces the vents on the radio bezel. Notice, black carpet(home made lightweight), gray floormats, gray seats, black center console, gray shfit boot, black shift ****..I went for a kind of "every other" black and gray from the floor up..my soon to be installed 8 point rollbar will be metallic silver with clearcoat. All my interior plastic I did in black as well..

here is one of my front wheel with vented rotors and my work to the caliper

hope i'm helping..like i said shoot me a P.M if you want help and/or some polish work done..
Old 05-05-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You should get the CETA rear tail light filler panel too!
Old 05-05-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VoodooWS6
You should get the CETA rear tail light filler panel too!

the only problem with that is that he has a Camaro!!!!

Quick Reply: Ok, I'm a noob to appearance mods. What should I do?