Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto headlights mod/CCFL halos!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto headlights mod/CCFL halos!

I have CCFLs on my headlights that I just figured out how to wire them up without having those tacky little LEDs on the side lit up. I decided to do the auto headlights mod so I see how bright the halos actually are at night without having my headlights on.

Plus, it just always bothered me having the headlights turn on automatically. I prefer to be able to turn them on and off manually if I want to at night. I followed the instructions on thread from VIP1 on how to do the automatic headlight mod. https://ls1tech.com/forums/7096661-post8.html.

Except I didn't have any scotchlocks. I used a piece of wire to connect the two wires from the light sensor together. I will follow up tonight with some pics of the CCFLs on at night time. Have any of you done this mod as well? Post pics of your Halos!

Here is the way I wired the light sensor to disable the automatic headlights

Here are the CCFLs with the LEDs disabled

Old 01-25-2014, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Here's some night shots of the CCFLs. Sorry for crappy quality, it was taken on my iPhone.
I wasn't able to take any pictures from inside the car but it wouldn't of mattered because you can't see the light from the halos over the light from my fogs. What do you guys think? Your feedback is always appreciated, and plz feel free to post some pics of your setups!

They do look really bright though!

Here's one with the low beams on. The CCFL doesn't look as bright as it really is because my camera focused more on my HIDs

Old 01-25-2014, 04:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice work, looks good. im not crazy about the green fogs, id put white halo fogs in. but look sharp
Old 01-25-2014, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Thanks man! I live in Washington and I didn't even realize it until my girlfriend pointed out to me ''You have Seahawks colored lights!'' HA blue hids and green fogs.

Ya I know the green is a strange color for fogs but that is kinda why I chose them. I get many stares when driving around. You don't really see 10k hid in a projector with green projector fogs every day.

As far as halos for the fogs, I would love to do that! I just don't know how, I'm sure there is a write up on here which I will be searching for after I finish this message lol.

If I get around to ordering to morimoto minis to retrotfit into my stock headlights, I will definitely get some 4300k or 5000k hids for the fogs. But until then, I'm gonna keep the green ones while I have my 10k hids in the headlights just for the look of them ya know.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah the more i look at it, the green fogs are growing on me! i say rock on!
Old 01-26-2014, 12:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JDEP162
yeah the more i look at it, the green fogs are growing on me! i say rock on!
Thank you! Ya they definitely are something you don't see everyday. When I went to buy them, i was asking the seller what the color temperature was from them and they said there isn't one because it is a special color.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great job, really brings the look up to date
Old 01-26-2014, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by RJDio
Great job, really brings the look up to date
Thank you! I really wish they would come out with a new style of projector headlight for the 98-02 camaro but out of the ones out there, I like the way these look the best even though they use an H3 bulb instead of an H1 bulb that the Sonar and R8 style projectors use.

I know people on here don't care for the 10k and green fogs that I have because it is not putting out the best light output like a 4300k or 5000k hid and the purpose for headlights is for light output especially at night, but I like my setup and it is plenty of light for me. I work nights and this is my daily driver and I have no visibility problems with the light output from the HIDs I chose. I'm glad someone can appreciate it. Feel free to post up any of your guys setup!
Old 01-27-2014, 02:10 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great. My first Z28 had these already installed by the previous owner. Guess he got lucky cause I keep hearing how these are usually **** in the light output and direction of the lights. Mine was perfect. And the CCFL halos were the brightest I've seen of any of the other camaro aftermarket lights that are out for sale around(kept running into people with them and we'd compare), we're actually bright as hell to the point where in bright sunny daylight you could see them making a red z28 stand out from down the road. Black housing makes a nice difference too since it helps the contrasting colors.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Thanks SSkull! Ya the CCFL Halos are very bright. Unfortunately of of the ballasts is bad and it stopped powering the halo for the high beam in one of the headlights. So instead of having 3 bright halos and one super dim/barely lit halo, I decided to cut the wire for that halo and the one for the high beam on the other headlight leaving just the 2 low beam CCFLs. I was a tad bummed out but not any more because it still looks pretty sweet with just the low beam halos especially when the 10k hids are on!

Quick Reply: Auto headlights mod/CCFL halos!