Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

How to DIY remove gauge cluster and swap overlay on 4th Gen LS1

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default How to DIY remove gauge cluster and swap overlay on 4th Gen LS1

I know the camera work isn't the best but it's what I've got lol! Hope this helps some of you guys!
Old 02-07-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, thanks for the vid.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still got the Red Camaro needles? I'd like to take them off your hands if you aren't going to use them.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I hope this helped some of you! I looked around a lot on here and found a lot of information but it seemed there was always something different that didn't go with the other info so I figured I would do it myself and record it for you guys that need it too. Super-Bat yeah I'm going to be getting new ones. I'll be ready to get rid of them once I get new ones in.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:56 AM

Default Great vid

Fantastic video! One of my dash lights just went out. Not a lot of good info out there, this vid made me feel better about tackling the problem. How many bulbs are there on the cluster, I want to change them to LEDs while I have it off so I don't have to worry about it again? What size bulb and how many bulbs? Can I access the bulbs without taking the cluster apart? Any suggestions, I'm all ears!
Old 03-14-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kennj07621
Fantastic video! One of my dash lights just went out. Not a lot of good info out there, this vid made me feel better about tackling the problem. How many bulbs are there on the cluster, I want to change them to LEDs while I have it off so I don't have to worry about it again? What size bulb and how many bulbs? Can I access the bulbs without taking the cluster apart? Any suggestions, I'm all ears!
It's super easy just to replace the bulbs man. No you don't have to take apart the cluster, just remove it. If I remember correctly it's only 5 bulbs that you have to replace. They are the little black turn ***** on the back of the cluster. You can change all of them if you want but only 5 of them are them are for the backlighting of the gauges. The others are for your indications like your blinkers and a couple of the worded notifications. I know it's the ones more in the center of the group of turn *****. Since I don't remember exactly what I would do is just remove the most center 5 bulbs of the group then just plug the cluster back in and turn on your headlights. If the cluster glows anywhere that isn't just an notification readout then you'll know which bulb to remove or replace. I buy all of my LEDs from SUPERBRIGHTLEDs dot com. I have a list of bulb part numbers but I will have to find it then I will post it on here. Also when I have the time I may post a video just for the replacement of the backlighting bulbs, since I have an extra cluster now!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always used part # WLED-xHP from superbright, no issues or hot spots
Old 03-15-2014, 10:41 PM

Well I removed the cluster today. Was very easy. There are a total of 10 lights on the trans am cluster. All I had to do was remove the bezel. Disconnect the fog light cable, unscrew the cluster, remove the steering wheel tilt bar and it came right out. Swapped out the burnt bulb and put it back together. All in all it took about 20 minutes. Not a big deal at all. Thanks or your insight, made it go very smooth.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kennj07621
Well I removed the cluster today. Was very easy. There are a total of 10 lights on the trans am cluster. All I had to do was remove the bezel. Disconnect the fog light cable, unscrew the cluster, remove the steering wheel tilt bar and it came right out. Swapped out the burnt bulb and put it back together. All in all it took about 20 minutes. Not a big deal at all. Thanks or your insight, made it go very smooth.
Awesome man! Glad you got it done!

Quick Reply: How to DIY remove gauge cluster and swap overlay on 4th Gen LS1