Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Eastwood rust encapsulator for underbody touch ups?

Old 05-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eastwood rust encapsulator for underbody touch ups?

I ordered some stuff from Eastwood and have a question regardeing the rust encapsulator gloss black. Can this be painted right over existing paint on the undercarriage. Im gonna try it on the tranny tunnel under the car as it has some scuffs from removing the tranny and driveshaft/dsloop. Will it adhere?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes it will! You should not have to sand anything before application. Just put it on, and give it 24 to dry! Good luck. I like POR 15..have you seen this product?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Launching!

I have and use por15 as well. I saw an article on eastwoods site from hotrodder with a comparo of por15 vs eastwood rust encapsulator and rust encapsulator was said to work slightly better with no prep/unlike the por 15 so i figured id try it out. Similar products in my opinion. I don't think the por would adhere as well for this task. Do you agree?
Old 05-13-2004, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SloppyRob
I have and use por15 as well. I saw an article on eastwoods site from hotrodder with a comparo of por15 vs eastwood rust encapsulator and rust encapsulator was said to work slightly better with no prep/unlike the por 15 so i figured id try it out. Similar products in my opinion. I don't think the por would adhere as well for this task. Do you agree?

Yes, I agree. POR 15 is also sensitive to UV rays, with will cause it to flake. I did call the tech line and they told me to sand the area with 3000 grit, before application with the exception of rusted parts (rear end) I am going to look at the eastwood site now, and check it out.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How come you did not go with the chassis black? How is the rust prevention formula as far as color (glossy, flat, or semi-gloss)?
Old 05-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Talking

I ordered that too I'd rather use a tougher paint but if i have to i'll just spray some chassis black or underhood semi-gloss on there.

As far as the color of the rust prevention formula I think Scott (Very clean ss show car) used it on his undercarriage and it looked great! I have yet to try it though. I should note that my car is not a show car but I just want a protected nice looking undercarriage.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SloppyRob
I ordered that too I'd rather use a tougher paint but if i have to i'll just spray some chassis black or underhood semi-gloss on there.

As far as the color of the rust prevention formula I think Scott (Very clean ss show car) used it on his undercarriage and it looked great! I have yet to try it though. I should note that my car is not a show car but I just want a protected nice looking undercarriage.

How much did you order? What do you think I will need to do suspension, floor pans and the rear end?
Old 05-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Launching!

I got the partial chassis package. I believe it came with the rust encapsulator semi gloss black and two spray cans of chassis black. I also ordered a can of underhood semi gloss black. I ordered all of these so I have em around if i need em. It's a pain having to wait when you need it. I also have a can of por15 in the garage along with multiple bottles of the chem that go with it.

Id say you'd prob be good with the partial resto chassis package. Maybe go with the bigger container of rust encapsulator.
Old 05-13-2004, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

por15 in semi gloss black is indestructable. Also in silver for suspension parts. I did my rusty rear end on my 02, and it is as nice as it was 2 years ago. Use a sponge brush, take your time, and use surgical gloves, if it gets on your hands, it will take days to wear away...lol. vic
Old 05-13-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to do my rear end, floor pans and suspension parts. I dont want to sand, just put it on! Which product should I go with? Eastwood or POR-15? Do I need both the encapsulater and the chassis black if I go with eastwood? Aobut how many qts will I need?

Thanks Guys!
Old 05-14-2004, 04:24 AM
TECH Regular

por15= NO SANDING
Old 05-14-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does anyone know about how much I will need?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Eastwood rust encapsulator for underbody touch ups?