Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

99-02 odo, swapped OEM smd leds with white smd leds, +converting odo to OLED screen

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 07:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

The harness has a speedo output wire that uses the factory speed sensor.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:53 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wink back...

There was little progress over the last four weeks because I was on vacation ;-)
Anyway, I'm back now, and will get to work on the remaining issues.

And yes, I did get to talk to the board using an Android device, and managed to contact the bootloader and erase the existing firmware. Unfortunately I didn't bring any new firmware to flash to my friend, so I couldn't try to actually burn a new firmware, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. I don't own or have access to any Android devices, so I can't test this without help.

Update the latest firmware on-car using your Android phone - how cool is that?
Old 10-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

yall start selling i start buying
Old 10-08-2015, 03:12 AM
Launching!

Unhappy Update...

Hey ya'all ;-)

I wish I could report progress, but I can't. Development is on hold, here's why:

When renovating the office/lab in my house (this is where I do the development), I found that there was a leak in the adjoining bathroom, which caused the plaster to come off in huge chunks. So, I had to pack everything up, including my development stuff, and have the walls replastered. Imagine the mess and plaster and stuff everywhere. The carpet is also ruined, so I will put in new hardwood flooring. I spend every spare minute getting my office cleaned up and ready. Walls are almost ready, one more to go, I hope to have it finished and ready for painting by the weekend. I'm going on a business trip to the US the following weekend, so I will have to postpone paint and flooring until after that.

Yet, I want to use the time to get ahead with our first "beta" unit. The unit itself will be ready before my trip, but the display and wiring I'll have to finish afterwards.

Sorry for the delay folks!
Old 10-08-2015, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Best thread in LS1TECH appearance history right here
Old 10-09-2015, 03:21 AM
Launching!

Smile Baby steps...

Okay, a little progress:

this is the new box - aluminum with a 3D printed plastic face plate. The USB opening had to be bigger with the aluminum face plate because of the minimum mill bit diameter, the 3D print is "tighter" around the USB jack. The 3D print does seem to shrink a tiny bit compared to the CAD input, but really just a tiny amount and it doesn't matter.

The screws fastening the blue jack to the face plate are still missing in this picture...

Old 10-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

looks great any idea when sales production is going to begin?
Old 10-12-2015, 06:09 AM
Launching!

Default Production schedule...

The idea was (and still is) to have (at least) one beta tester install a beta unit in his car and give us feedback. It's one thing to put something in your car and fix a small issue, but it's another having to fix small issues in a dozen or so cars at the same time. So, getting a package of hardware/software with installation instructions together that ensures troublefree installation and operation was our main priority. And it'll also help us figure out the cost of making these buggers, because things easily get overlooked.

But with Derek and me being busy I haven't heard from him in a very long time, and I don't know where we stand beta-wise. I'll try to get the beta unit finished anyway despite of our work and private schedules. The plan is to order circuit boards on friday, they should arrive by the end of the month, so the beta kit should be ready by the beginning of November. And I'll have another 1-2 circuit boards should we need them for another tester. Hopefully until then I'll have had the chance to talk to Derek about what to do next...

If that happens, I have to ship everything to the States, so by the time the package clears customs it's probably the end of November. Then the beta will need time to install, give feedback, we need to incorporate that, etc.

I hope to be able to use that time to put a few ideas I've had into the software, but there's a software version that works well available right now (Derek and I have each been running these for the past few months with no real issues).

Soooo, the earliest that I see a number of units greater than one being made is January.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Let me know for the beta! I have an '01 SS, and I would do terrible, horrible, unspeakable things to small defenseless animals to try this bad boy out

But for real, I give great feedback and I'm a competent installer/troubleshooter. Been following this since the beginning, it's fascinating to see it all play out.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

I too wouldn't mind volunteering and giving feedback for you ill even pay, Ive been messing with my gauge cluster alot lately aswell heres what Ive got so far in 00 trans am

nothing too fancy but the work is there,
keep up the great work guys
Old 10-21-2015, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Snipes and rimfire27 I will pm you guys later today. We have one beta, who we have had to put off due to timing issues on our end. So he will get the first one, but chatting with Oliver, we will be doing a couple more testers. So if you dont mind being a bit patient with us, I will be in contact.

Rimfire27- that looks great! 04-up Grand Prix needles?
Old 10-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome I cant wait, yall are doing an excellent job,looks very professional and thanks man!, Yea, lol they are Grand Prix needles, kinda felt bad I totally had to take apart two perfectly good gauge clusters at the scrap yard for some needles that they ended up letting me have for free, poor Grand Prix owners lmao
Old 10-24-2015, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rimfire27
I too wouldn't mind volunteering and giving feedback for you ill even pay, Ive been messing with my gauge cluster alot lately aswell heres what Ive got so far in 00 trans am

nothing too fancy but the work is there,
keep up the great work guys
Are you using a Camaro gauge cluster? How did you get the Temp gauge to show different colors?
Old 10-24-2015, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
Are you using a Camaro gauge cluster? How did you get the Temp gauge to show different colors?
Yes I am using a camaro overlay. First, I used a dremel with a 220 grit sand paper bit to take off the blue layers to get a pure white look and, after buying LEDs for inside the cluster, I then used electrical tape and hot glue to get the different colors on the back. I initially did multiple designs but I ended up liking this one the most because it looked more modern. Its a Shame I haven't got a better picture since Ive been re-wiring the aftermarket alarm system .They look really good and there is no justice in that picture.

Last edited by rimfire27; 10-24-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2015, 04:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert
Snipes and rimfire27 I will pm you guys later today. We have one beta, who we have had to put off due to timing issues on our end. So he will get the first one, but chatting with Oliver, we will be doing a couple more testers. So if you dont mind being a bit patient with us, I will be in contact.

Rimfire27- that looks great! 04-up Grand Prix needles?
Sounds awesome man! Looking forward to hearing from you when the time is right. I love the fact this this kind of customization has never been done with these cars before, and I really love the fact that it's an independent project done by two guys, in an area of cars that very few people are familiar with. Love to learn more about it and be a part of it all is it unfolds
Old 11-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Talking Boards have arrived...!

Circuit boards for two beta units have arrived!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome! They look great! Cant wait for results! Cant wait to pay!
Old 11-11-2015, 02:18 AM
Launching!

Post Waiting for parts...

Boards partially populated, now waiting for parts to arrive...
Old 11-13-2015, 02:41 AM
Launching!

Default More progress

Almost done, waiting for the displays now...

2 pretty much done, 2 more in Queue

Quick Reply: 99-02 odo, swapped OEM smd leds with white smd leds, +converting odo to OLED screen