Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Show prep tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Show prep tips?

Hey guys, I don't usually venture into this side of the forum much but I figured you would be the ones to ask. I've entered my truck into a car show in August and I was wondering what detail tips you have to offer aside from the obvious of cleaning EVERYTHING.

Also, what do you guys recommend for cleaning, polishing, and protecting polished wheels? Thanks!
Old 05-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Administrator

ttt??
Old 05-19-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clean everything & don't go overborad on any of the dressings! Make sure all of the black on the car is dark & rich, but not greasy looking. Mothers Back to Black works great for all types of trim & give the right clean/new look. Engine bay, wheel wells, inner wheels, brake calipers, bottom sides of body panels & exhaust tips should all be detailed with as much effort as the rest of the car as well. Eagle One also make a foam applicater called "Tire Swipes" that does a great job for getting the tire dressing on evenly too. You should also try to remove any major swirl marks or scratches to the best of your ability & then rewax that area when you're done. 3M makes a great fine cut polish that will remove minor scratches without hurting the clear coat called "Finesse-It II". It's expensive ($30/bottle) & will take a lot of elbow grease to be used effectively, but the results are worth it. Good luck!

Shay
Old 05-20-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd steer clear of most Black Magic products myself. Ive never had luck w/ them. I love Meguires stuff tho. Especially for the price, the results are very nice.

Make sure the car is clean as possible first. Degrease the wheels (but make sure its not going to eat the finish off your rims), clean the body w/ dawn or dish soap to remove all the previous wax. I'd make sure you keep the body wet while its like this, as to not get too many water spots then dry it down w/ a chamois. Depending upon your personal method, or what your products sugguest, throw on a polish then a wax and let the shine commence. Tire shine (i like Meguires Tire Endurance, altho its not as deep and glossy, but it doesnt look greasy or overly applied) and do your windows and voila! Depending upon how indepth your show is, or you're being judged degrease the engine (Simple Green, and dont use it on a hot engine or let it dry. Then "softly!" wet it down and use compressed air to dry all your components) and you're pretty much finished.

Just make sure you bring home a good trophey! lol
Old 05-21-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lint! Total killer, bring duct tape to make lint pads to pull lint off the carpets and soft trims. Wrap it sticky side out (duh) around your fingers.

I like to make sure everything is lined up, such as *****, dials, steering wheel.

Be light on tire dressing, and don't get sucked into thte idea that tire shine on the tread looks good . . .

Wheel weels need to be cleaned . . especially the top of the lip! Don't know how many times I miss that.

Give radiator hoses and vacuum lines a light brushing of tire shire the day or two before the show.

Keep the area around your truck tidy.

And bring chairs, sunscreen water, and enjoy!
Old 05-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty much if it can be cleaned, clean it

i agree on the light coat of tire shine in the engine bay. I do that with the hoses and even black plastics and it looks great.

i like Black Magic tire wet for the tires, it shines nicely and has a deep look to it. and i use that foam applicator as mentioned,too, works great.

if the backsides/insides of your rims are visible, pull them off to clean em up good. should be doing this anyway in order to get your calipers/brakes/suspension spit shined anyway.

make sure your glass is clean inside and out, some people forget that.

take some plastic cleaner/polish to the headlights/tail lights etc..i like the meguires one, it does make a difference.

as for polished wheels, if they are not clearcoated..spend the money for Mothers Billet Aluminum polish, nothign else on the shelf compares to that stuff. Do the rims once the car is parked at the show so they look as good as possible.

don't forget the little stuff. when you think you are done, just sit there and walk around the truck staring at everything, looking for anything that isn't pimpin.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Q Tip The Cracks (interrior) Tooth Brush Outside Cracks When Making Final Pass To Remove Stuck Wax ... Ive Started To Use Lquid Glass On My Glass Too It Works Great

Quick Reply: Show prep tips?