Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spoiler peeling

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Spoiler peeling

As far as I know there is no spoiler paint problem with SS spoilers as there is with the roof panels, correct? I just want to make sure this problem wont continue before I decide to repaint.
For a temporary fix, well more to restrict further peeling, does anyone know where I can find some clear vinyl I would just custom cut to fit the top of the spoiler? Also if anyone has any other suggestions to fix something like this for a cheap temp fix, I would appreciate it.
I don't know what did this in the last 2 days but my car has been washed and waxed regularly and I don't know what could have caused this. My only suspect is a Japanese Plum tree that drops a lot of fruit. I am not to sure about the acid content of those fruits but I dont see it being high enough to loosen the clear coat from the paint. Just annoyed that I need to repaint the spoiler somewhere down the line.

Attached Thumbnails Spoiler peeling-imag1736-1-.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow. How long did plums sit on your paint? They can etch like bird droppings, but thats crazy. As far as spoiler problems, I have a 2000 SS and have the same problems with my spoiler,hood and doors as the roof. Basically everything that is sheet molded compound. Its barely noticeable on the doors and hood as it is on the roof and spoiler. The spoiler is the worst on my SS. Its OEM paint , car has been garage kept and perfectly maintained its entire life and the paint has started to peal up in the glue seam areas this year. Prior it had just been showing signs of bubbling like the roof.

As far as films I am only familiar with Xpel ultimate. Its pricey but installs well and looks perfect. In your situation the only way a film would work though is if you wet sanded down to the basecoat. Anywhere where the clear is bubbling or weak, its going to bubble with the film as well as there wouldnt would be anything for the film to stick to in the weak areas.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those fruits couldnt have been there for longer than two days, I walk past it everyday getting on my motorcycle to go to class. Its been raining a lot here too so it wasnt just sitting there for long. The only other possibility was the pressure washing guys were out in the apartment complex and using bleach water but it wasnt pooling up on the car, just a little overspray. Does bleach react with auto paint?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 SS spoiler is doing the same thing! It started the size of a quarter and grew into this in about a year

And now a year after that it's almost half of the whole spoiler! It's peeling FAST and it rains like 5 days out of the week here. Not helping at all.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have some raising paint on my base spoiler in a couple spots as well (hasn't peeled quite yet) and some raised/peeled paint on my steel hood.

I think GM paint QC of the 90s just sucked.

Where all these are peeling is not along any seam lines so it isn't going to be a glue-induced issue like the sail panel bubbles.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok my main concern was if those fruits were the sole suspect. I guess thats just how its gonna be until I decide to repaint the whole car after college.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

They could have helped it along. My brother used to park his old car under a crab apple tree and get the berries on his car all the time (the birds would actually throw them at his head lol) and those darn things chewed up his paint over time.

I wouldn't repaint until you have somewhere nice to store it. That's what I'm doing with mine. It needs a paint job (along with my sail panel and a few other things) but that won't happen until I own a house with a garage. Too much can happen to it out in the weather constantly.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:47 AM
Teching In

I seriously doubt it's the fruit

My car has the exact same problem on the drivers side door and rear quarter panel

It absolutely blows
Old 04-24-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

One common thing I'm seeing about these reports in this thread so far is red paint.

Is there something about GM's red paint that caused the clear to come off I wonder...
Old 04-24-2014, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Yea I don't think it's really the fruit. Mine seemed to kinda just spontaniously appear and now it seems with every car wash/windy storm we get it gets worse. I plan on re painting the car anyway but that's years down the road after it's finished. Really upsets me that it's pretty much half my spoiler without clear now
Old 04-24-2014, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Might as well post pics of what mine is doing as well, not nearly as bad....yet. On mine its the clear and base coming up.

The 2 white ish lines above the big crack are about to pop open.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok well like sparky said this has got to be the red paint, both my previous fbodies never showed signs of this (both silver) and its looking like alot of other guys with red are having these problems,
anybody else with red cars wanna chime in on this lol. We can all share the pain.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Just a idea but if your just trying to protect it you could clear plasti dip it, or if it's just the spoiler take it off and sand it down and bring it to a macco and ask them when they are painting a red car will they spray your spoiler, they would for cheap
Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ I didnt know they made clear plastidip. As far as my situation is concerned I think I am going to have a color change in a year or two so Im not throwing money into painting the spoiler.
My plan when I have a garage is to tear it down, rip off the roof, hopefully 6LE still makes roofs when I can afford it and build it back up but I have yet to commit to a color.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
^^ I didnt know they made clear plastidip. As far as my situation is concerned I think I am going to have a color change in a year or two so Im not throwing money into painting the spoiler.
My plan when I have a garage is to tear it down, rip off the roof, hopefully 6LE still makes roofs when I can afford it and build it back up but I have yet to commit to a color.
Ok, ya they do have clear plasti, and I'm talking 50-75 dollars cheap from macco to spray the spoiler if they are already painting a red car
Old 04-24-2014, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can't afford to install and paint anything yet but I did grab a 6LE roof to store until I can.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I can't afford to install and paint anything yet but I did grab a 6LE roof to store until I can.
Did you get the whole roof or just the sail panel for t-tops? And how much shipped to the door?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just the sail panel since mine's a t-top car. I used a 15% coupon (I think it was) when I bought it.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

damn that sucks, my cars doing something similar however i'm pretty positive mine isn't oem paint and its black. Pretty much when it rains the clear just bubbles up and peels. My whole car looks like straight dookie haha.

Quick Reply: Spoiler peeling