Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clarification of action of polish

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 07:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clarification of action of polish

OK, from what I understand, polishes work by either filling in infantesimal scratches and or pits, or by making lots of microscopic scratches in the paint. Help me out with that. Now if you polish and then wax, how does another application of polish affect the paint through the wax?
Old 05-17-2004, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAndy
OK, from what I understand, polishes work by either filling in infantesimal scratches and or pits, or by making lots of microscopic scratches in the paint. Help me out with that. Now if you polish and then wax, how does another application of polish affect the paint through the wax?
Well, technically, a polish is a mild abrasive that "rounds" the corners of light scratches/swirls. It may or may not have fillers which then fill these minor scratches in, further camoflauging them. The trouble comes when companies like Meguiars call a glaze a polish (Pure polish). A glaze is intended to fill minor swirls and and give an incredible depth/wetness to the paint.

Also, many waxes (cleaner/waxes) contain polishes with the intent of a one step application.

To get to your question, I guess it depends on what type of "polish" it is. If it's a minor abrasive, it will probably remove wax, and maybe polymer sealants. If it's a nonabrasive glaze, it should layer right on top giveing immediate beauty, but wash off soon because of the lack of protectants.

That's my take, if I'm wrong, I hope I can be corrected because I'm just learning this stuff too....

Quick Reply: Clarification of action of polish