Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

When to repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 04:45 PM
Chop-Foo Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to repaint?

OK, so I'm needing some advice here. When do you know it's time to repaint your car?

I've got nicks and scratches almost all over the car, mostly small enough that you have to be right on them to notice. There are a few big ones here and there (all from the previous owner of the car). Last year I suffered some hail damage to the hood of the car, and one place on the rear quarter panel. The hood has tons of little rock chips as well.

So, I've been taking read good care of the car, and lately keeping up the appearance very well (go NXT!). I get home from work and decide it's time for a little bit of NXT booster spray, give it a real shakedown on the entire car. There is a kid in my neighborhood who has taken an interest in my car, and he's riding his bike today, and asks what I'm doing. As I answer, "cleaning my car", I hear a loud BOOM, and this kid had run into my door on the opposite side that I was working on! Now I have a nice 2-3 inch scratch from hell in my door where this kid ran into it

At what point does one just say "F it!" and get their car repainted? It would be a nice excuse to get a new hood as well, but I don't really have the money for anything right now.

Opinions? Sorry for the long post.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I say its time .....BTW did you kick the kids ***?
Old 05-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Kids make mistakes. I probably would've yelled at him, but it's not the end of the world.

If it really bothers you looking at the car and the scratches/dings are more than you could fix with a buffer, then it's probably time to talk to a body shop and see what they can do. I'd recommend hitting it with some nice, high-quality polish and a good wax or sealant, though. Not many people notice imperfections except you, so if you get it shined up pretty well, it'll still turn heads and you might be happy with it.

I know I get annoyed looking at the nicks on my front bumper or the long scratch on my rear one, but when others look at the car, often times (even close up,) they don't notice.

(EDIT: I just saw that you use NXT. That should be good enough to make the car look nice. Just try not to focus so much on what's wrong with the paint every time you look at it.)
Old 06-06-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

I would dare say that you need to start thinking about repainting that car..seems like its prev. owner wasn't too nice to it. I think its about time for me to do it too, my paint is taking a beating on the autobahn