Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

If you know how to polish aluminum, please come in..

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you know how to polish aluminum, please come in..

For those who know how to polish Al, I need some help. I am looking to polish my valve covers, and depending on how well it goes, polishing other bits of aluminum on my car.

Here's what I know now: I need to buy 300-2000 grit and wet sand it, working my way up to finer grit. My issue is buffing. I do not have a 90 deg. buffer; all I have is a cordless, Dewault power drill. What do I need? I'm not looking for show-quality, just looking for something that looks good and better than stock.

Thank you in advance!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Teching In

I dont know if this will help or not but when I polish the aluminum on my 1985 Honda Shadow motorcycle I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. I always do it by hand too. You may be able to buff with this after you sand down your valve covers to achieve a very high shine. If I were in your position I would give that a shot. Really good stuff.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by burgundybullet
I dont know if this will help or not but when I polish the aluminum on my 1985 Honda Shadow motorcycle I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. I always do it by hand too. You may be able to buff with this after you sand down your valve covers to achieve a very high shine. If I were in your position I would give that a shot. Really good stuff.
I would consider that worthlessly wiping down metal. I'm talking about really polishing it using different grades of wetsand paper and buffing.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a powerball and it works pretty well for what I need it for. Here is a video that shows a guy polishing up some aluminum wheels with it:

Old 07-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Launching!

after you work your way to 2000 grit use a powerball and some Mothers and it will be like a mirror. White diamond metal polish also work wonders
Old 07-25-2014, 06:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by idahoz28
after you work your way to 2000 grit use a powerball and some Mothers and it will be like a mirror. White diamond metal polish also work wonders
Okay, that's the plan. Has anyone ever done this to their front cover or any other parts of the block? I'm starting to think I may just stick with just cleaning and not polishing it lol
Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only done this for aluminum wheels, but in my experience, 2000 grit was still too low. I went all the way to 5000 grit, then polished with mother's and a mother's power cone. white diamond also works well, but it's runnier than the mother's and makes a total mess with the polishing drill bit.

Quick Reply: If you know how to polish aluminum, please come in..