Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Body shop people, got a ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Body shop people, got a ?

My rear drivers side 1/4 panel has been wrecked before and has a horrible bondo and paint job. Is there anyway to replace this w/o tons of work? It is really getting on my nerves and needs to be replaced. How much work is involved? And any special thing that needs to be done like welding (heard this from a friend)?

Thanks
Ryan
Old 05-21-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

the best way to fix it would be replacing it, and that requires welding
if the metal under the bondo wasnt torn or creased really bad, you could use something like a stud welder to straighten it out as much as possible, so you wouldnt have to use too much bondo

btw, how thick was the body filler slapped on there?
Old 05-22-2004, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sand it down and if its not to bad you can pull it out better and use less filler. You shouldn't have to replace it or they should have in the first place. my guess is the guys didn't know how to pull out the rear quarter very well or used tons of bondo as a shortcut.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think it's that thick, it was only maybe a fender bender. It was bought like this.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well if ur definatley gonna get it fixed i would just sand it down by yourself at home. get all the bondo off and take it down to bare metal including about 2 inches around the edges of the indention. Once you get it down to bare metal you will obvisouly be able to see the extent of the remaining damage and will know then if you need to get it pulled out more or possibly hammered out depending on the location of the damage on your rear quarter. If the damage is small then it should just require slight quality body work and paint-which you can blend in over the quarter and up onto the deck lid/door/side roof panel depending on location again.

Of course if you had some pics i could be a greater help and give you a straight forward answer.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Yah, I know pics would help a lot, but I'm just trying to get some ideas. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:22 AM
TECH Resident

sounds to me like the job just needs to be fine tuned. lots of guys make the mistake of painting overwet primer, the bondo drinks the primer, scratches in the paint and looks fucked, If it was my car i'd get the long board out and do the area with 220 and just block the **** out of the body work thats there, than prime it, block it again,prime again,block,final prime it, block it allow 24 hours for shrinkage and block a last time then re squirt the 1/4. unless they los the body line i wouldn't redo the whole **** grinding it out etc. the blocking will get rid of the wavy look etc...
Old 05-23-2004, 02:18 AM
TECH Addict

I know a little about body work, partly because I used to work at a dealership w/ a body shop, but what exactly is "blocking it off?"
Old 05-23-2004, 03:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

block sanding
Old 05-23-2004, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Oh ok, I get it now.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Without taking it all the way down and checking out the metal,it could easily be fixed or you could get down to it and need a new quarter panel,long story short,take it down and find out
Old 05-26-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Id honestly pull my interior panels see if u see damage in there, if not the damage wasnt that bad...have it blocked and repainted
Old 05-27-2004, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sercastiK
Id honestly pull my interior panels see if u see damage in there, if not the damage wasnt that bad...have it blocked and repainted
While true you can do that(block panel,prime,reblock,etc.) you still only end up with something as good as the foundation ,kind of like rebuilding a frame on a house,but leave the foundation crumbling

Quick Reply: Body shop people, got a ?