Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

VFN hood required alot of work for fit FYI!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VFN hood required alot of work for fit FYI!

The purpose of this post is to help you guys decide what sponsor to purchase a hood from.

I received my VFN 98-2002 Ram Air Bolt 4” Bolt on hood. It was not an easy install at all. It took 5 hours of sanding and cutting to get it to fit. The product quality was horrible compared other hoods I have seen. If you are supposed to do all of this before installing a VFN hood, then you guys need to know this.

The hood showed up with HUGE scratches all over in the black finish. Enough said there.

There was about 2” interference between the inside of the hood (cavity) and the airbox. We had to saw/sand out the cutout so it would allow the hood to go all the way down. I would guess it was “miss-trimmed” at VFN. No excuse for that.

The hood sat above the fenders on the side when down. The edges of the hood that run in and along the fenders needed about ½” sanded off. Another miss-trim.

The Ram Air nostrils had to be cut/sanded out but that was expected. No new screws so reuse you old ones.

The front edge of the hood is trimmed crooked. It rubs the front bumper cover top towards the passenger side. Will sand that tonight.

After some major adjustments we got it fitting pretty well except for a slight “lift” in the right front corner. The bumpstops were all the way down. Everyone thinks it looks cool but I will not recommend VFN to anyone nor advertise for them. Product quality control was horrible. Its a lot of work and not an easy bolt on.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks
Old 05-25-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear about the mis-fitment issues. However, on the flip side, I've heard quite a few people say how GOOD their VFN hoods fit, without a grit of sandpaper touching the hood.

FWIW, My VFN 3" SS hood is still sitting in the box here at my shop. I hope when I go to install it in late June that I have no issues with it.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some fiberglass hoods can be like that. The body shop that I had my hood done through recomended getting either OEM or SLP because they are the only ones that will fit decent without modification. I ordered the SLP HO hood and it fits great... all the lines are even. The body shop was suprised at how well it fit. I am not sure if this is true but I seem to remember reading somewhere that SLP was the only aftermarket company with a licensed mold to create the hoods?

Sorry to hear about your hood, I think Bird_of_Prey had issues with his VFN hood too... it had Ram Air molded on to the nostrils.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:08 PM
RJF
TECH Fanatic

I dont know why my 3 inch ss bolt on hood fit great no modification what so ever on the hood and 5 mins of work opn the hinges fits perfect everyone around here was amazed at how it fit so good and is ordering from them right now they make very good hoods and id highly recommend them to anyone.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Before posting up a complaint about it did you try calling VFN to see if this much modification was required to fit? It may have been a bad hood that cured improperly causing it to warp. Been alot of weather shifting here in Chicago recently where VFN is located and that can have major affects on how fiberglass turns out.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:25 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

I would PM 'vfntech' they like to know when folks are not happy, but most of the time their stuff is great. My 2" WS6 hood fits like a stock one.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I would PM 'vfntech' they like to know when folks are not happy, but most of the time their stuff is great. My 2" WS6 hood fits like a stock one.
John did you go with a Pin on or a bolt on hood?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

anybody else with the 4" ws6 hood like to comment on this? this is the hood im considering getting for my formula.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did not contact VFN because there is nothing they can do about it. Do I send it back when I open the box and see the scratches? Do I send it back when I try to fit it and I have to cut or sand the first time? According to their policy NO. Are they going to give me a refund..yeah right...or pay me and my buddy body shop rates to fix it? I dont care if the person who made it had a bad day or if VFN stuff really is this shitty. If they were a quality company that hood would have never made it out the door...or they would have done their homework upfront. Looks like Bird of Prey had the same issues as me. Thats 2 LS1Tech members. Anyone else get this hood? We dont recommend VFN Ram Air hoods. Only thing I can do is show others here what to expect so they can make the right choice. KMStevens...be prepared for alot of work and have a good fiberglass guy handy.

Im already pissed off I have to keep a spare HAL shock around because they are junk (2 bad ones) and my big $$ ARP fasteners came unthreaded...can anyone make a quality product?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:32 AM
FormerVendor

Hi.
We do appreciate when our customers contact us when they are having fit/appearance issues...if you had read our warranty we have a 30 day warranty against manufacture error and/or defects...we are NOT like other companies who do not warranty or help their customers out.
What we will do to make sure that our hoods are not leaving untrimmed and /or scratched is Photo a hood that will be trimmed correctly, and post it for our shipper to view each time one of these hoods is ready to ship.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:18 PM
RJF
TECH Fanatic

Well to me your acting like a huge ***** sorry but its true if you didnt have enough since to call them before you starting running them into the ground thats your fault.Im very happy with VFN and there are tons of other people that are happy with them as well.VFN is a great company and if you would of gave them a chance they would of made it right but you did no such things and starting trashing there name on the net.NOT right in my book but people do have no morals sorry but thats what come to mind when I read this post.P.s admins if this is not a welcome post im very sorry but just expressing my self
Old 05-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

I don't think he was being a *****... He's right, the hood should not have left the factory like that. However, he should'va called VFN first to see what they could do about it before posting it here.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

On a side note I bought the VFN Firebird dash and the fitment was awful. I have no clue how I was suppose to make it work in the car. The dash itself needed sanding all over it because of scratches and imperfections and the sides of the dash were warped inward. I sold it and would never buy from them again.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Mike
My VFN 3" SS hood is still sitting in the box here at my shop. I hope when I go to install it in late June that I have no issues with it.
Do us a big favor and post your experience when you complete the install.

I think it is great to post your experiences with high dollar parts. It keeps the vendors honest and helps your fellow F-car guys. That is why we are all here!

On the original thread:
It would have been better to call the vendor and see what the options were before you spent time, money, and wasted some of your own credibility bashing a sponsor before he even knew there was a problem.
Granted, it is bad that the hood even got out looking like that, you could have bashed after talking with them.

My .02
Dave
Old 05-26-2004, 06:30 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

VFN is very responsive and easy to get a hold of.

I have the bolt-on WS6 hood, regular style.
Attached Thumbnails VFN hood required alot of work for fit FYI!-5_04p.jpg  
Old 05-27-2004, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

that formula looks like its ready to tear someone a new ___hole
Old 05-27-2004, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

The warranty is useless. 30 days but altering or painting voids it. First thing I had to do was sand/trim. Is it supposed to drop right in without touching it? NOT. Do I waste my time and money shipping it? I made the hood fit but it required alot of unnecessary work if VFN had done their job. I am just merely letting others here know what to expect with VFN. I dont want anything from them. You make the choice.

RJF...you are way out of line but Im sure we all appreciate your input . Glad to see your hood was perfect. Its obvious here most non-1998-2002 WS6 hoods fit ok by the response but these didnt.

Let us know how it fits Big Mike...I think you will be ok with that style.

Last edited by SAM98WS6; 05-27-2004 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Scratches were not from the shipper in my opinion. It was boxed up that way. Box was in great shape when I picked it up. That is just my opinion though...no way I could prove otherwise.

Oh, looks like someone got a shitty fitting 93-97 VFN camaro hood over on another board. Its best we all know this stuff so we are prepared when it comes.

I also said the hood looks awesome so I am telling both sides of VFN. Really turns heads. Some people hate the truth.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:15 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I installed the stock looking WS6 bolt-on VFN hood on my girlfriend's 2000 Trans Am, and it required no sanding/trimming to fit. You also have to realize that the build quality tolerances on these cars aren't exactly precise, and every car will be slightly different. I just dropped the hood off at the paint shop, had it sprayed, and installed it.

The only issue I had with the entire deal is that it arrived with the box torn up (shipping). There were a few deep scratches on the outer surface where it had come out of the box, but the paint shop said they were easy to fill and sand down.

Tony

Quick Reply: VFN hood required alot of work for fit FYI!