Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone without a Porter Cable DA buffer...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 08:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone without a Porter Cable DA buffer...

Buy one! I used mine for the first time today and it's an awesome tool for detailing. I used Meguiars #9 (Swirl Mark Remover), #81 (Hand Polish) and #26 (High-tech yellow wax) and the WS6 looks really good. I need to go back and use #83 (Dual Action Cleaner Polish) to get the bigger scrathes, but the smaller swirls are gone and it was a breeze. The PC doews all the hard work (polishing/buffing) allowing you to easily remove it with a MF towel.

I bet that even most of you Zaino guys have some scrathes/swirls that could use a PC and either #83 or Menzerna polish to really get that paint to glow under the Zaino.

For the PC:
http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...8f9+1085610304

For the Pads/MF towels:
www.pakshak.com
Old 05-26-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You could also recommend the Porter Cable 7336 that is available from Lowes. Their price: $109.00 + tax. Same machine as the 7424, but it includes the sanding disc, and 1 buffer pad. Available as close as your local Lowes home center. I have one, and it does great!!!

I'll Repeat. The 7336 is the SAME basic machine as the 7424!!!

Tony
Old 05-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Launching!

I received the PC7424 Ultimate Detailer kit with pads from CMA two weeks ago. Finally got a chance to do a practice run on my wife's '94 Honda Civic last week.

1. Washed car with Dawn soap, rinsed and dried.
2. Meguair's Quik Detail clay bar paint cleaning system.
3. Meguair's MPPC with yellow pad @ 3.5 setting
4. Meguair's #9 SMR with white pad @ 4.5 setting
5. Meguair's NXT Tech Wax with microfibre applicator.

Final buff with microfibre detail cloth.

All in all, the job turned out good for a newbie's first try

I look forward to detailing the Camaro, but will do another practice run on my F-150....never really detailed at this level but well kept with regular washing and waxing.

Definitely get a PC..it is a pleasure and you'll be looking for friends' cars to detail if you don't have enough

Tony

Last edited by bigoneZ28; 05-26-2004 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

I bought the 7336 from Lowes for $110. Great deal and I got it locally. Finding pads for it is a little tough locally, so I bought the velcro back palte and Menzerna kit (orange pad, whie pad, two microfibre towels and two microfibre applicators) from Properautocare.com

I will warn you, once you start using one, you will become even more obsessed about your car's appearance than before. I spent the entire weekend working on my whole car, and I've still got a few spots where I want to spend some more time.

-Mike

Last edited by chupr0kabra; 05-26-2004 at 09:46 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got the same system as Mike above (menzerna twins and PC kit). Can't wait to try it!!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PSU_Engineer
You could also recommend the Porter Cable 7336 that is available from Lowes. Their price: $109.00 + tax. Same machine as the 7424, but it includes the sanding disc, and 1 buffer pad. Available as close as your local Lowes home center. I have one, and it does great!!!

I'll Repeat. The 7336 is the SAME basic machine as the 7424!!!

Tony
Yeah....

But through Coastal Tools they also include a 6" counterweight and a hook and loop pad as well. I figured since I was ordering products and pads online, I might as well order the PC online as well too... (Same shiiping time, and I wouldn't have to go to the store at all)

I was a little nervous about using for the first time, but really is nearly foolproof. I can't wait now to use the heavier duty DACP to get some of the scratches. This makes that one part of detailing (application/hardcore polishing) fun too. It's always fun to wash, dry, and buff out to a shine, but that elbow grease is in short supply some nights after work.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I LOVE my PC unit.. its the best detailing tool ive ever bough.. i use the Meguires pads and I also use the micro-fiber bonnets they make for it..

a wise investment
Old 05-27-2004, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got mine from www.costaltool.com also, for me it was a little better going though them then getting the one from Lowes. JMO

Al
Old 05-27-2004, 07:36 PM
Chop-Foo Director

This is my next investment. So far, all my detailing has been done by hand. I can't wait to get one and get more serious than I already am.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its awesome to see how many of you guys are getting these. When I first got on here it was only me and about 5 others that had "PCs". If I had to answer the question of "what is the best detailing product" with one thing, I would say it is the Porter Cable 7424/7336.

If you have a PC and you haven't tried Menzerna Polishes I cannot stress enough how highly I recommend you give them a try. They are filler-free, foolproof, and produce results on your paint that is nothing short of amazing. Give them a try.

-Tom
Old 05-27-2004, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i used menzerna for the 1st time 2 days ago and the results are beyond words. if it was not for fishing around on these sites and reading posts i would have never found out about this stuff. i followed up the menzerna twins with some wolfgang sealant. my car has never looked this good and the minute i start geting swirls again, the menzerna and PC are coming out
Old 05-28-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So basically, you put something like 3m Handglaze on the car and wizz it away with this thingy?
Old 05-28-2004, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

pretty basically - properautocare has a pretty detailed and accurate writeup on removing swirls using the PC

http://www.properautocare.com/usporcabpol.html

-T
Old 05-28-2004, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

I recently purchased a PC at Lowes. I ordered all the other things through CMA:
1 orgage pad
1 yellow pad
2 white pads
1 grey pad
Menzerna IP & final polish
5 inch flex backing plate

This weekend I will be detailing my 18 year old daily driver. The paint needs a lot of help. Last weekend I hit the trunk lid with the Menzerna IP and it was a huge improvement. I only spent a few minuntes on the task. I can't wait to see what it will look like after I really go at it.

I also bought a bunch more lights for my garage. I really want to be able to see all the defects in the paint.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tudds
So basically, you put something like 3m Handglaze on the car and wizz it away with this thingy?
Yes, but imagine a little more aggressive polish... it is enough to remove swirls but the random and non-circular motion basically emulate hand polishing but much quicker, easier and won't introduce new paint defects.

If you want a sweet looking car and have some extra change, I stongly advise you to pick one up.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PC

Old 05-29-2004, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

I think I'm gonna get one... my gf's mom works at Lowes!!!
Old 05-30-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tudds
I think I'm gonna get one... my gf's mom works at Lowes!!!
havent we been trying to convince you for a while? or am i thinking someone else?

btw I love my PC! The other day I washed my car and had water spots like holy hell on it, even though I had just put a coat of wolfgang on less than a week before the rain, it make some hellacious spots. a little work with FP and they were gone and it looks better than when i first did the hood. May be looking elsewhere for a final sealant. I need to order a few more pads this week, the orange pad that came in the menz kit isn't really my favorite. I think I'll get some of the lake country pads from pakshak along with a few more MFs.

I'd like to try some of the black or grey pads, to apply the final selant instead of doing it by hand, just have to find the most non abrasive pad.

I would have to say if you have a darker colored car a pc is almost mandatory if you haven't taken amazing care of it from the start.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Now that I did the car this weekend, I have to say I could NOT believe how wonderful the PC and Menzerna made my paint look!!!! Simply amazing!
Old 05-30-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

whats menzerna?

Quick Reply: Anyone without a Porter Cable DA buffer...