Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Caliper Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper Paint

Hey guys, I need some color in the brakes department and was looking for some ideas? My color is unique (see sig.) so id like the caliper color to match its uniqeness. Does anyone have any info on some do-it-yourself caliper paint jobs?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gabe
Old 05-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Launching!

I paitned my calipers hugger orange also.. I just got some high temp chevy orange engine paint and used it.. you should be able to find it at any local parts store.... it turned out great.. of course I sanded and primed them before the paint.. but the orange looks good
Old 05-25-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

I recently did my calipers on my WS6 a few months ago. I painted mine charcoal metallic, and also put the brushed aluminum "Trans Am" logo on them as well. As far as finding Hugger orange to match your car, I would use duplicolor (any, doesn't have to be high temp paint), and also a high temp clear coat. Dupli color has a lot of different colors that match GM, so you'll probably be able to find what you are looking for with them. Just use a dremel to sand the cast lines down and smooth the calipers out as much as you can with a sanding block or sand paper, and clean them very well. Make sure they are thoroughly dried and then start your thin even coats of paint. About 2-4 coats will probably do, it is all in opinion. (I did 4 coats) Let each coat dry about 15-30 minutes between each coat as well. Then after you've painted them to your liking, clear coat them about 2 coats. If you want the decal on there, make sure to put that on there before you clear coat. Sorry if this is confusing, and I hope I didn't leave anything out. Maybe somebody will chime in and help out a little more. But this is the process I did and I have had no problems with my paint burning off, cracking or getting dirty. They look just as new as when i did them and the decal looks great too. I didn't use high temp paint either, and I have had no problems what so ever, but take it for what its worth. Some people like the reassurance of high temp paint. Hope this helps!

Here is a pic of mine, sorry about the crappy picture quality, they look really good in real life. But just to give you an idea.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

i believe ls1howto.com and installuniversity.com has writeups on this
Old 05-26-2004, 08:29 AM
10 Second Club

Eastwood sells several colors of caliper paint. Works very well....
Old 05-26-2004, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the eastwood kit rules, and it brushes on!
Old 05-26-2004, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BLKBRD, where did you get the decals from???? I want to order some for my SS. thanks

Rob

Quick Reply: Caliper Paint